Author Topic: enranged Daley completely loses it over Heller ruling...  (Read 14193 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
enranged Daley completely loses it over Heller ruling...
« on: June 26, 2008, 09:42:58 AM »
Cry, little thug, cry. Your bodyguards aren't the only ones who deserve to have guns.

Corrupt little piece of ____ 
Send in the National Guard troops if he doesn't comply. Drag him out of his office and before the courts.

Outraged Daley vows to defend Chicago gun law

June 26, 2008

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter/fspielman@suntimes.com

An "outraged" Mayor Daley this morning denounced a U.S. Supreme Court ruling overturning Washington D.C.'s handgun ban as a "frightening decision" and a "return to the days of the Wild West."

Daley predicted that Chicago's 1982 handgun freeze would be next in the crosshairs of the powerful gun lobby and that gun violence will surge if they'e successful.

The mayor said he would vigorously defend Chicago's gun ordinance despite the Supreme Court's ruling and feels the decision will make it far more difficult to protect law-abiding citizens.

The mayor said he would vigorously defend Chicago's ordinance, in spite of what he called the dangerous precedent set by the nation's highest court.

"This is a very frightening decision for America. &Does this lead to everyone having a gun in our society? If they think that's the answer, then they're greatly mistaken. Then, why don't we do away with the court system and go back to the Old West? You have a gun and I have a gun and we'll settle in the streets," Daley told reporters at Navy Pier.

"I have no problems with those hunting, gun collectors&.But, how do you get a gun into your house? Does it fly in by a stork? You purchase a gun. You carry the gun in a car. You come to your home. And we've shown time and time again how many children have been killed in their homes by guns. Parents are away, they get the guns&.The child takes the gun, runs out in the street, has an argument, comes back and shoots somebody."

At a time when Chicago's homicide rate is rising by nearly 13 percent and children are being gunned down on city streets, Daley said the Supreme Court has "changed the rules" in a way that will make it far more difficult to protect law-abiding citizens.

"The Supreme Court and Congress have no obligation to keep our country safe. It falls on the backs of mayors and local officials. That's who say, 'I want my street, my parks, my school, my church, mosque and synagogues  I want everything to be safe.'&They're changing the rules&.Why should we as a city not be able to protect ourselves from those who want guns in our society?" the mayor said.

Chicago Police Supt. Jody Weis today said that 75 percent of Chicago's murders involve firearms. So far this year, Chicago Police have responded to 15,000 "man with a gun" calls and 27,000 calls of "shots fired."

"Today's recent decision by the Supreme Court will have to be looked at by a lot of the lawyers to see how it truly will impact upon law enforcement," Weis said at police headquarters. "However, if the result of this ruling are that more guns come on the street, it's going to make it more challenging for law enforcement."

Daley noted that the U.S. Supreme Court building and Congress are in a security bubble with armed guards everywhere and metal detectors galore.

"Those who are rich and those who are in power always feel safe. Those who do not have the power do not feel safe. And that's what they're saying," Daley said. (Isn't it ironic that he'd say that? That's because the corrupt rich mobs and thugs who are your dirty little friends can get guns, moron.)

"You cannot carry a gun into a federal building. You cannot carry a gun into a federal court. So, they're setting themselves aside. They're saying to the rest of America that the answer to all of the constitutional issues is that we can carry guns. I just don't understand how they came to this thinking. I'm very, very disappointed."

Chicago's ban on new handguns-and a companion requirement that all existing guns be re-registered every two years-was pushed through the City Council in 1982 in the wake of the assassination attempts on former President Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II and the death of two police officers.

The number of registered guns has steadily plummeted ever since.

Most gun owners have apparently decided that it's too much trouble to re-register their weapons. And tens of thousands of additional weapons have been purchased or inherited since the freeze took effect and brought into Chicago illegally.

For years, aldermen have called the handgun freeze a "charade" and likened it to Prohibition.

Earlier this month, the City Council finally got around to acting on that belief.

They agreed to re-open gun registration in Chicago  but not in the narrow manner proposed by Ald. Richard Mell (33rd).

A former hunter, Mell had proposed a one-month amnesty after he forgot to re-register his arsenal of shotguns, rifles and pistols as required every two years by the ordinance he helped to pass.

During the month-long window, gun owners who attempted to re-register their guns between May 1, 2007 and April 1, 2008 only to be rejected on grounds the registrations had lapsed would have been allowed to re-register without penalty.

The ordinance ultimately approved by the Council quadrupled the amnesty period. And it applied to everybody who "possesses a firearm that was at one time validly registered to that person in the city of Chicago."

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1026348,daleygun062608.article#

cslinger

• friend
Re: enranged Daley completely loses it over Heller ruling...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 09:46:27 AM »
Damn he pretty much said everything except  "I'm melllllltttttiiiinnngggggg"

Wow, think this ruling bugs him a bit?  I would have thought he would have at least tried to come across a bit less, well crazy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 09:46:42 AM »
And this is the guy with his hand in the Obama sock puppet  shocked
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:51:46 AM »
But the the court's ruling was cause for disappointment and alarm in other circles.

D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty said the current in-home gun ban law will stand for 21 days until his administration creates emergency laws to comply with the court's ruling. But he said he does it reluctantly.

"As mayor of the District of Columbia, I think I speak for the near unanimous population here in this city when we say we're disappointed, we wish the ruling had gone the other way, but that we stand here and we respect the court's power to make this ruling and their deliberation that got them to this point," Fenty said.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., said that her experience as a former mayor of San Francisco leads her to believe the court's decision will open the door to more, not less street violence. She also criticized the conservative members of the court, who she said did not follow the legal principle of "stare decisis," the Latin term for using earlier court decisions to strongly guide new opinions.

"I remember both (Chief) Justice (John) Roberts and Justice (Samuel) Alito sitting in front of us and indicating how they would respect 'stare decisis' and precedent  and this decision takes down 70 years of precedent," Feinstein said, referring to the two justices appointed by President Bush. "I think it opens this nation to a dramatic lack of safety."

She added: "I happen to believe that this is now going to open the door to litigation against every gun safety law that states have passed  assault weapons bans, trigger locks and all the rest of it."

Feinstein said the court's decision, which also struck down a D.C. trigger lock requirement, is also faulty because those regulations prevent guns from being used by thieves or others who do not own the weapon.

D.C.'s mayor and Feinstein don't get it either.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 09:54:37 AM »
That makes me smile.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:01:49 AM »
Cry, little thug, cry. Your bodyguards aren't the only ones who deserve to have guns.

Corrupt little piece of ____ 
Send in the National Guard troops if he doesn't comply. Drag him out of his office and before the courts.

What National Guard troops?

EDIT: I mean, I like the idea, too. Don't get me wrong. But . . .

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 10:10:41 AM »
Maybe our military should spend less time liberating Baghdad and work closer to home....  police
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 10:13:07 AM »
"Chicago Police Supt. Jody Weis today said that 75 percent of Chicago's murders involve firearms. So far this year, Chicago Police have responded to 15,000 "man with a gun" calls and 27,000 calls of "shots fired.""

Wow.

I didn't realize just how effective Chicago's gun ban was!

Maybe Dianah Ross and the Supremes DID get it wrong!  rolleyes
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 10:13:26 AM »
Maybe our military should spend less time liberating Baghdad and work closer to home....  police

We have no business invading Chicago. It'd just be a quagmire and the troops would be at risk. The people of Chicago need to solve their own factional violence problems first. grin

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 10:13:49 AM »
Seeker, what are you talking about? Nothing is wrong here at home. Nope, Nothing. See the unicorns?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 10:16:19 AM »

We have no business invading Chicago. It'd just be a quagmire and the troops would be at risk. The people of Chicago need to solve their own factional violence problems first. grin

But think of all the OIL.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 10:20:40 AM »
I hear the wookies in Chicago have WMDs, too. Where is Colin Powell and his vial of anthrax when you need him?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 10:47:05 AM »
D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty said the current in-home gun ban law will stand for 21 days until his administration creates emergency laws to comply with the court's ruling.
So SCOTUS rulings don't go into effect for three weeks? Interesting viewpoint.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif  . . . "I happen to believe that this is now going to open the door to litigation against every gun safety law that states have passed assault weapons bans, trigger locks and all the rest of it.".
We can only hope that the cities/states that FIGHT these lawsuits will have to pay the legal fees of those who were forced to file the lawsuits. (As for the local taxpayers getting stuck with the bill . . . serve them right for electing idiotic scofflaws to represent them.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 10:54:40 AM »
D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty said the current in-home gun ban law will stand for 21 days until his administration creates emergency laws to comply with the court's ruling.

The ban was struck down.  Why does it take 3 weeks for that to go into effect?  The law is dead as of 10:00 this morning, yes?

cslinger

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 10:57:45 AM »
Well for all intents and purposes, its not like there are alot of FFL's in DC to run out and buy a shiny new boomstick from.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 11:02:42 AM »

The ban was struck down.  Why does it take 3 weeks for that to go into effect?  The law is dead as of 10:00 this morning, yes?

Kneejerk from a politician who thinks he can appeal.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 11:20:21 AM »
Some video clips from WGN News in Chicago . . .

http://wgntv.trb.com/news/wgn-supreme-court-gun-ban-html,0,2564228.htmlstory

At the very end of one of the clips, Chicago's police superintendent makes a rather interesting point - 75% of shooting victims have criminal history, as do 95% of the shooters, so you have criminals shooting criminals. Hmmm . . . sounds like a lot of "good riddance" factor is at work.  grin

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 12:03:10 PM »
An "outraged" Mayor Daley this morning denounced a U.S. Supreme Court ruling overturning Washington D.C.'s handgun ban as a "frightening decision" and a "return to the days of the Wild West."

Actually King Daley the decision represents a move forward from feudal times when only the lord and his men were armed to a time when every citizen could be armed if they wished.

Your kingdom is about to crumble as the kingdoms of every petty tyrant through out all history eventually has.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 12:04:24 PM »

Actually King Daley the decision represents a move forward from feudal times when only the lord and his men were armed to a time when every citizen could be armed if they wished.

Your kingdom is about to crumble as the kingdoms of every petty tyrant through out all history eventually has.

Ah yes. Can't let the peasants have longbows!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 12:24:34 PM »
But think of all the OIL.....

Who needs oil when you have drugs, prostitution, gambling, and extortion?  Those have much better margins than the oil business and are apparently recession-proof.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

old school

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 12:34:03 PM »
Everytime one of these fear filled politicians professes they are making the streets safer by forbidding legal concealed carry, I am stupified by the fact that nobody in the press will ask one simple question:
How many of these crimes were committed by individuals legally licensed for concealed carry?

I bet I know the answer...................0

Ask that one question and their entire argument falls apart.
We now know who the real man is.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 01:07:54 PM »
Look at the video on HankB's weblink.  At 00:43 it shows video of a white pegboard with two AIRGUNS on it. grin

Listen to Daley attempt to make some point about not being able to carry a gun into the Supreme Court as if this bar exam failing blockhead is some rhetorical dynamo.  Ummm, King Richie, no one can carry a gun in D.C., or Chicago.  Why all the shootings in both cities? rolleyes

You are toast, Dick.  The rich that you complain of buy their guns in other states and are armed to the teeth.  Oprah buys her guns in Indiana.  You, Dick, buy your guns in Michigan.  That's where that shotgun that your son got in trouble with came from.

The common man in Chicago is a disarmed helpless serf, dependent on the corrupt government that you run.  Do I want my neighbors to own Uzis?  AKs?  Dick, they already do and there is no trouble as in Chicago where those guns are illegal.

I can't call the police if my neighbors are shooting AKs?  Why not?  Are they shooting at me?  Shouldn't I call the police to report a crime?  Are you saying that people should not depend on the police so we should arm ourselves to shoot back?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 01:11:09 PM »
"As mayor of the District of Columbia, I think I speak for the near unanimous population here in this city when we say we're disappointed, we wish the ruling had gone the other way, but that we stand here and we respect the court's power to make this ruling and their deliberation that got them to this point," Fenty said.

Well, if it's 'near unanimous', then I doubt we'll see any gun purchases in the near future.  The populace will willingly keep themselves disarmed. rolleyes
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 02:18:20 PM »

Does that mean that Daley might end up in the guillotine? angel
Stuff like that was prone to happen in another kingdom that crumbled laugh.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
Maybe not, but his handpuppet in Springfield (Blago the Gov.) will likely see the inside of a federal courtroom soon and who knows where that will lead.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.