Author Topic: Ret. Gen. Clark: McCain lacks command experience  (Read 13663 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Ret. Gen. Clark: McCain lacks command experience
« on: June 29, 2008, 09:23:11 PM »
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Retired Gen. Wesley Clark, a former Democratic presidential candidate now supporting Barack Obama, said Sunday John McCain's military service does not automatically qualify him to be commander in chief.

Underscoring during a national television appearance a position he has been expressing for several weeks, Clark said performing heroic military service is not a substitute for gaining command experience.

"In the matters of national security policy making, it's a matter of understanding risk," he said on CBS' "Face the Nation." "It's a matter of gauging your opponents and it's a matter of being held accountable. John McCain's never done any of that in his official positions. I certainly honor his service as a prisoner of war. He was a hero to me and to hundreds of thousands and millions of others in the armed forces, as a prisoner of war.

"He has been a voice on the Senate Armed Services Committee and he has traveled all over the world, but he hasn't held executive responsibility," Clark said. "That large squadron in the Navy that he commanded - that wasn't a wartime squadron."

Moderator Bob Schieffer, who raised the issue by citing similar remarks Clark has made previously, noted that Obama hadn't had those experiences nor had he ridden in a fighter plane and been shot down. "Well, I don't think riding in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to be president," Clark replied.

In a March conference call with reporters while he was still backing Hillary Rodham Clinton, Clark said: "Everybody admires John McCain's service as a fighter pilot, his courage as a prisoner of war. There's no issue there. He's a great man and an honorable man. But having served as a fighter pilot - and I know my experience as a company commander in Vietnam - that doesn't prepare you to be commander in chief in terms of dealing with the national strategic issues that are involved. It may give you a feeling for what the troops are going through in the process, but it doesn't give you the experience first hand of the national strategic issues."

He reiterated that position last week in an article on The Huffington Post Web site.

"If Barack Obama's campaign wants to question John McCain's military service, that's their right," McCain spokesman Brian Rogers said after Clark's appearance Sunday. "But let's please drop the pretense that Barack Obama stands for a new type of politics. The reality is he's proving to be a typical politician who is willing to say anything to get elected, including allowing his campaign surrogates to demean and attack John McCain's military service record."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CLARK_MCCAIN?SITE=OKTUL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Like Obama has experience.  Wow is about all I can say.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Ret. Gen. Clark: McCain lacks command experience
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 10:18:58 PM »

If Wesley Clark said the sky was blue, I'd double check just to be sure.  Then look for where the knife was planted.  He was a very self serving officer.  Wouldn't think twice about selling out anyone or his own country if he thought it'd get him something. 

Bastard very nearly caused WWIII due to his own ego and stupidity.   One of the few things Clinton did right was forcing him to retire. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 10:52:29 PM »
Clark may be scum but, this is very true... "said Sunday John McCain's military service does not automatically qualify him to be commander in chief."
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 11:02:16 PM »
No but at the sametime he has been on the Senate Armed Services Committee and spent 20 years in the Navy.  Let me see that is 20 more years than Obama even thought about.  So between the two who is more qualified?  Just because you reached high ranks in the military doesn't mean you are capable of being CIC.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 12:12:59 AM »

If Wesley Clark said the sky was blue, I'd double check just to be sure.  Then look for where the knife was planted.  He was a very self serving officer.  Wouldn't think twice about selling out anyone or his own country if he thought it'd get him something. 

Bastard very nearly caused WWIII due to his own ego and stupidity.   One of the few things Clinton did right was forcing him to retire. 

Indeed.  General Sir Mike Jackson may have had many faults but refusing Clark's orders on that occasion was not one of them.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 04:48:28 AM »
Okay, Mr. "If people want assault weapons, they can join the Army..."  rolleyes

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:53:16 AM »
Okay, Mr. "If people want assault weapons, they can join the Army..."  rolleyes

I joined the Army but have to give mine back when I am done.  That isn't fair.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 04:56:09 AM »
Clark is an idiot.  Pure and simple. 

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 04:56:56 AM »
Clark's comments are some of the most stupid I've heard lately.  The only qualification to be president/CIC is to be a natural born citizen and be 35+ years old. 

On that basis, McCain is actually more qualified as he is over twice the age qualification and Obama is till wet behind the ears.  As for citizenship, he has participated in governmental duty for as long as Obama has been alive.

If one is to criticize qualifications, then use the correct parameters.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 05:16:06 AM »
McCain also has FAR more experience as an elected official than Obama.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 05:42:51 AM »
That is a bit of a strange comment when one reflects on who both the candidates are.

I would say that any Senator is less qualified in general than a governor or someone like that, but here we have two Senators, one with a great deal more political and military experience than the other.  And one who seems to have trouble with the geography of the USA, who knows about the rest of the world. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 05:52:07 AM »
having clark bad mouth you is a positive endorsement to many
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 08:43:24 AM »
Indeed.  General Sir Mike Jackson may have had many faults but refusing Clark's orders on that occasion was not one of them.

I noticed the you Brits didn't exactly punish him for disobeying orders from a Yank.  Tsk, tsk   grin
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 08:58:51 AM »

I noticed the you Brits didn't exactly punish him for disobeying orders from a Yank.  Tsk, tsk   grin

grin

It would have been a nice time to be a fly in that room though... "You want me to do WHAT?"
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 02:31:56 PM »
Clark may be scum but, this is very true... "said Sunday John McCain's military service does not automatically qualify him to be commander in chief."

Neither does Clark's and I'm sure the bastard was going to tout HIS military credentials to weasel his way into the job.

One of the few things Clinton did right was forcing him to retire. 

Yeah, but he also served as Clintoon's useful idiot during the Govt massacre at Waco. It was Clark's command that the equipment and personnel were drawn from that supported the waffen BATFECes and FBI.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

longeyes

• friend
Clark
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 02:38:45 PM »
He was a whore for Clinton; now he's a whore for Obama.

He needs to explain his "valor" in producing an independent Kosovo that is the drug gateway to Europe.  Hackworth called his type a "perfumed prince."

Trying to gut McCain's martial credentials is not only a fool's errand it is ignoble.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 02:48:16 PM »
one more "wesley  clark" moment  not his worst and likely not his last
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 04:10:07 PM »
Perhaps he's trying to compete with McPeak in behind-kissing in hopes of the SecDef slot. Tongue

longeyes

• friend
lest we get too romantic about martial virtue...
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 04:48:21 PM »
Clark serves a useful purpose: he reminds us that even soldiers can exhibit all the same weaknesses as civilians.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 05:49:21 PM »
McCain, I still don't like him. But, I love him when you stand him next to Barry. I figure 7 years captivity by a militaristic ideologically whacko state is pretty good experience to help McCain know you can't negotiate with your nutso enemies. That and the Code of Conduct to not bring discredit upon the US. Barack on the other hand would love a polite tea and crumpets session with folks like Amadinnerjacket's Iran. Now that's experience.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: lest we get too romantic about martial virtue...
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 05:51:12 PM »
Clark serves a useful purpose: he reminds us that even soldiers officers can exhibit all the same weaknesses as civilians.

Fixed for you.  Clark was not a soldier.  He was an officer.  Big difference.   angel

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 03:23:53 AM »
Best line so far.
The Saddest Thing About Barack Obama's Available Military Expertise... ...is that though he has Wes Clark in his corner, the only person he knows with the experience of getting a bomb on target is Bill Ayers.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 03:49:41 AM »
I don't know what Wesley Clark's positions are on the U.S. Constitution, so I can't say as to whether or not I like the guy, but it appears I was right about one thing:

When someone in the military voices a dissenting opinion, they pay dearly for it.

EDIT: To be clear, I think his support for Obama's presidency indicates that he doesn't hold the Constitution in high regard.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 04:00:39 AM »
Here's what I don't get:  Clark backed John Fraud Kerry in 04 because of his military service.  How can he now say that John McCain's military service doesn't make him qualified?
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 04:47:58 AM »
Moderator Bob Schieffer, who raised the issue by citing similar remarks Clark has made previously, noted that Obama hadn't had those experiences nor had he ridden in a fighter plane and been shot down. "Well, I don't think riding in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to be president," Clark replied.

I don't like Clark, but Schieffer made a really moronic statement and Clark's answer was good.  Military service, in an of itself, doesn't warrant a vote from me.  I sure as Hell wouldn't vote for Clark and he has plenty of experience. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.