Author Topic: LA Times: Guns still elusive for D.C. residents  (Read 4744 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
LA Times: Guns still elusive for D.C. residents
« on: July 06, 2008, 12:45:38 AM »
Guns still elusive for D.C. residents

WASHINGTON -- Days after the Supreme Court ruled that residents of the nation's capital can keep handguns at home for self-defense, George Harley walked out of a Maryland gun shop disheartened, his goal of legally having a gun to protect his family put on hold.

Since before Harley, 30, was born, the District of Columbia has restricted its residents' ownership of handguns. After the high court's ruling was handed down late last month, Harley was one of several dozen Washington residents who came to the Atlantic Guns shop in Silver Spring, Md., just over the district line, to ask about buying a gun.

They were all told the same thing: Go home.

"Presently, there's no change to anything," said Atlantic Guns owner Stephen Schneider. "There's no procedure in place for them to purchase a handgun because regulations haven't been written."

Washington Mayor Adrian M. Fenty has vowed to have the strictest gun laws possible, and the city's plans for the registration process, expected to be released in about two weeks, is being closely watched.

"If the mayor was smart, he would have kept his mouth shut," said Deborah Curtis, co-owner and general manager of Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly, Va., referring to Fenty's vocal support of strict regulations. "It just got people up in arms. He should have just let it play out."

On Tuesday, District of Columbia Council member Phil Mendelson introduced legislation to put the city in compliance with the Supreme Court ruling by allowing residents to have handguns in their homes for self-defense. Under normal circumstances, the bill, which has unanimous support, would be voted on in September, after the council returns from a summer break, but action could come sooner if emergency legislation is introduced, said Jason J. Shedlock, an aide to Mendelson. The council's last session before the recess is July 15.

Even after guidelines are finalized, though, it's unclear how long it will take for Washingtonians to legally have handguns in their homes.

For instance, the federal ban on the transport of firearms across state lines means that gun shops outside the district could sell to a city resident, but the buyer could not leave the store with a weapon. The seller would have to transfer the gun to a federally licensed dealer in Washington, and the buyer would pick it up there. But there are no federally licensed gun shops in the district, police said.

Nor does there appear to be a rush by gun dealers to open a shop in the city. The firearms registration section of the Metropolitan Police Department has received only a trickle of inquiries. As of Thursday afternoon, the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the first contact for anyone wanting to open a gun shop, had received no applications, said Mike Campbell, a spokesman for the Washington field division.

If city officials "were to impose regulations [for opening gun shops] that imposed bureaucratic hurdles, they would face legal battles," said Robert A. Levy, a constitutional scholar at the Cato Institute, a libertarian policy research center. Levy recruited the plaintiff in the Supreme Court case and served as co-counsel. "If we find that those requirements are too burdensome, it would be a . . . violation of the court's ruling."

Curtis, whose gun shop is about 30 miles west of the Capitol, said she wouldn't consider opening a store in Washington. "For the average gun shop owner, you're not going to get rich selling," she said. "We don't live like that Nicholas Cage movie, 'Lord of War' " -- the story of an illegal arms dealer.

Bernie Conatser, owner of Virginia Arms Co. in Manassas, Va., said he watched the Supreme Court decision closely, but not strictly for business reasons.

"I don't think we had anything to gain from a financial perspective, at least in the short term," he said. "But the decision will have a far-reaching impact on 2nd Amendment rights."

The Supreme Court ruling has intensified a long-standing debate in the city, which battled a high crime rate both before and after the 1976 gun ban took effect. Last year, 181 homicides were recorded, a significant decline that came amid a national decrease in violent crime.

Harley, who lives in northeast Washington, just inside the district, said he wouldn't describe himself as a gun enthusiast. If he really wanted a gun, he said, he would be living a mile away in Maryland.

But he said he remembers when the city was dubbed the "murder capital" in the early 1990s.

He reads the newspaper daily, he said, and hears about home-invasion robberies. And if something like that happens in his home, he said, he wants the security of a firearm to protect his wife and his 5-year-old daughter.

"Sit and wait," he said. "That's all we can do."

As he walked his dog in the Dupont Circle neighborhood Tuesday evening, another city resident, Costa Tsantalis said that he once opposed the gun ban -- but that was before he was a police officer in Norfolk, Va.

"I used to say, 'We should let the good guys have them, too,' " Tsantalis said as his Rhodesian ridgeback-pit bull mix eyed a squirrel. "But just seeing the staggering stupidity of people and their inability to control themselves, even good people, changed my mind."

Still, he said, he wants to buy a handgun for self-defense as soon as the law allows.

vimal.patel@latimes.com

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: LA Times: Guns still elusive for D.C. residents
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 01:05:00 AM »
Things could get interesting.  Since DC isn't a state but a federal district where are the lines drawn on transfer of weapons via FFL?

I would think that anything bought in a "border" state would be legal.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 04:24:00 AM »
Maybe we can "donate" guns to DC residents* who pass a NICS check?.......

(....*gang-bangers, drug dealers, and politicians need not apply. Tongue )
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 04:48:50 AM »
"Sit and wait," he said. "That's all we can do."

[pats, head] Good peasant! [/pats]
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 05:04:35 AM »
So now we can't do anything until govt. writes regulations for it.  Great. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 06:19:02 AM »
Why does DC just get to take their time? Was there anything in the ruling that said 'a month from now, gun bans will be illegal'?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 10:53:29 AM »
The Supreme Court's ruling said that regulations are permissible. DC needs time to enact its regulations. While there was no strict compliance period listed in the courts ruling, no court is going to ping them after one week for not having regulations in place and working.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

jrfoxx

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 03:44:32 PM »
I used to say, 'We should let the good guys have them, too,' " Tsantalis said as his Rhodesian ridgeback-pit bull mix eyed a squirrel. "But just seeing the staggering stupidity of people and their inability to control themselves, even good people, changed my mind."

Still, he said, he wants to buy a handgun for self-defense as soon as the law allows.
Only for me, not for thee......

Since DC isn't a state but a federal district where are the lines drawn on transfer of weapons via FFL?

I would think that anything bought in a "border" state would be legal.

Agreed. I would think that the whole prohibition on handguns purchase across sate lines doesnt apply since D.C isnt a state, so the gun wasnt bought in one state, byt the resdident of another, it was boughtin one state, by the resident of NO state. Seems like a legit loophole to me.Kinda surprised I havent seen anything official from the BATFE on this, as I'm sure they have been asked.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 04:42:21 AM »
Kinda surprised I havent seen anything official from the BATFE on this, as I'm sure they have been asked.

Probably didn't like the answer, so they're keeping mum.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 05:41:37 AM »
I saw on Yahoo News yesterday that DC is looking to make the city "revolvers only".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 05:54:19 AM »
I saw on Yahoo News yesterday that DC is looking to make the city "revolvers only".

I'm sure the criminals will immediately comply, of course.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 05:54:37 AM »

It already is.  Semiautos are banned.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 06:35:23 AM »
Well, I meant for the new rules, in that they're still considering semi-autos as machine guns, and think they can circumvent the "common usage" clause in the court ruling.

Edited for speling. Though "machine gin" sounds interesting.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 06:36:52 AM »
Some statues there have holstered 1911s on the figures. But the people who live there can't own that icon. I wonder if anyone's pointed that out.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 08:22:26 AM »
Games, games, more games.  They will lie, steal, and cheat to block the impact of the Court's decision.  Government has gone rogue in so many ways, in so many places.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 08:28:41 AM »
Don't we have an amendment for that?
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 12:19:53 PM »
Don't we have an amendment for that?

laugh

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 02:03:59 PM »
Well, I meant for the new rules, in that they're still considering semi-autos as machine guns, and think they can circumvent the "common usage" clause in the court ruling.

Edited for speling. Though "machine gin" sounds interesting.

Ah, aren't semi pistols more common than resolvers these days?   I don't see how they can classify semi's as machine guns.  First off, BATFE definition of machine gun probably trumps DC's definition.  Second off, with revolvers or semis only fire one round per action of the trigger.  What's the friggin legal difference?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 04:54:58 PM »
Actually I think the machine gun definition applies if the semi holds 12+ rounds in the mag. Can't remember for sure, but thought I read it via a link from here. Makes no sense of course, but it IS DC....

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 05:06:11 PM »
I guess if a govt. entity can outlaw something just by claiming it is something it is not, the sky's the limit.  Might as well declare that bicycles are light trucks, and just sit back and collect the fees. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 05:07:30 PM »
Actually I think the machine gun definition applies if the semi holds 12+ rounds in the mag. Can't remember for sure, but thought I read it via a link from here. Makes no sense of course, but it IS DC....

C&R CZ-82 = machine gun.
Antique hi-power = machine gun.

Kay then... O_o