Author Topic: TV One to cover Democratic convention -- but not Republican  (Read 2550 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
TCA -- Given Barack Obama's historic run for the Oval Office, African American-themed cable network TV One plans to break from its usual entertainment programming to provide extensive coverage of the Democratic National Convention in August.

"Sen. Barack Obama running for president is a huge deal for TV One as it is for the African American community," said Johnathan Rodgers, president and CEO of TV One, a channel in about 40 million homes. "African Americans have fallen in love with his candidacy, his family  & we will be covering the democratic convention all the time."

But John McCain shouldnt expect the same treatment. The network doesnt plan any coverage of the Republican Convention.

"We are not a news organization," said Rodgers, speaking at the opening session of the semi-annual Television Critics Association press tour in Beverly Hills. "We are a television network designed to celebrate African American achievement. If Hillary was the nominee, we would not be covering this year's Democratic Convention."

"My audience is 93% black," Rodgers added. "I serve my audience."

TV One does have a Republican pundit as part of its convention coverage, comedian Sheryl Underwood. But shes also voting for Obama.

When critics pressed a panel of TV Ones convention pundits about whether African American republicans will feel slighted, Underwood said, I speak for all eight of us -- we are not slighted ... McCain is not going to win it, that's why I'm over here, because I want to be with the winners -- and I'm a Bush Republican."

When TV One's coverage panel was asked if their coverage will raise criticisms of Obama, contributor Hill Harper, who said he's been a friend of Obama's for 20 years and serves on his National Finance Comittee, said "the whole purpose of the event is celebration. We're not covering a debate."

But Rodgers added, "It's primarily a celebration but, yes, we'll also be critical when necessary."

As a cable network, TV One is likely exempt from any equal time access rules. Federal Communications Commission rules state that broadcast networks are required to give equal time to presidential candidates.

In 2007, when Law & Order actor Fred Thompson entered the race for the Republican nomination, NBC pulled episodes that featured him, but cable network TNT did not pull L&O repeats. Still, the matter is also considered a regulation gray area, with the FCC largely untested on the issue.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2008/07/tv-one-to-cover.html

Gets interesting when reading the comments afterwards.  A lot of talk about racism.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Re: TV One to cover Democratic convention -- but not Republican
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 04:25:02 AM »
As it should be.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 05:13:54 AM »
As it should be.
I have no problem with that by itself, but why do I have this suspicion that he is a hypocrite also?  I guess it is from hearing others complain about shows on other networks.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 05:31:13 AM »
To quote Robert Plant "Don't care, really don't care, no don't care, really don't!".
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 05:34:52 AM »
TV One does have a Republican pundit as part of its convention coverage, comedian Sheryl Underwood. But shes also voting for Obama.

When critics pressed a panel of TV Ones convention pundits about whether African American republicans will feel slighted, Underwood said, I speak for all eight of us -- we are not slighted ... McCain is not going to win it, that's why I'm over here, because I want to be with the winners -- and I'm a Bush Republican."

And once again it sounds as if the only reason she is voting for Obama is because he is "black."

So much for standing up for your ideals.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 05:42:12 AM »
I guess color blindness is truly a lost ideal.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 05:44:40 AM »
So they want a BLACK PRESIDENT, not a President who happens to be black.

Whatever.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 06:38:18 AM »
America's future is, unfortunately, racial, ethnic, and gender politics.  Those of us who want something else are going to need to "re-group."  Yes, that means, down the road, some form of withdrawal.  I wish there were another way; I think it's too late, after 40+ years of leftist encroachment, to think otherwise.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.