Author Topic: Love it or Leave It, an article  (Read 998 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Love it or Leave It, an article
« on: February 20, 2007, 02:30:36 PM »
http://www.freedomainradio.com/Traffic_Jams/love_it_or_leave_it_article.mp3
An article by Stefan Molyneux, owner of freedomainradio.com, rebutting the "love it or leave it argument."
Personally, love it or leave it people make me want to go insane with rage.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Love it or Leave It, an article
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 05:50:17 PM »
What are "love it or leave it" people?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 06:20:25 PM »
People who reply to criticism of the government, president, a political party, the war, or anything "american" with "if you don't love america, you can get out."  Or, "if you hate is so much, just leave"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 03:36:33 AM »
There are many areas in which government and our leaders can, and should, be criticized . . . so long as the criticism is constructive, and represents an honest effort to improve things.

Teddy Roosevelt wrote much the same thing almost a hundred years ago.

But when some say "America is worse than Nazi Germany" or express support for Osama Bin Ladin or demand that Sharia law be applied within their own community  . . . or immigrants that refuse to learn English or make any effort to assimilate or any of a number of other things which are purely destructive . . . at some point, it would be best if they left.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 03:50:58 AM »
Hank is correct.  I don't usually approve of "love it or leave it" either, but there are some people who display such disdain for the political and social customs of the U.S., and who paint such a dismal picture of life in this country, that they really should have left some time ago.  It makes perfect sense to ask why they are still here. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 06:07:35 AM »
Bottom Line:

"Love It or Leave It," as a threat, is nothing but fascism: "If you don't like something, you have no right to say anything about it, and if you do we'll make you leave."

As a suggestion, though, it makes perfect sense. "If it's so f---ing terrible here, go find someplace better and stop f---ing it up for the rest of us, who kinda like it."
D. R. ZINN

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 07:19:59 AM »
There are many areas in which government and our leaders can, and should, be criticized . . . so long as the criticism is constructive, and represents an honest effort to improve things.

Teddy Roosevelt wrote much the same thing almost a hundred years ago.

But when some say "America is worse than Nazi Germany" or express support for Osama Bin Ladin or demand that Sharia law be applied within their own community  . . . or immigrants that refuse to learn English or make any effort to assimilate or any of a number of other things which are purely destructive . . . at some point, it would be best if they left.
Yep, pretty much my position. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton