Author Topic: Was I wrong?  (Read 12456 times)

mbt2001

Re: Was I wrong?
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 08:50:38 AM »

It wasn't your fault... 

But WOW, poor lady.   sad

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 08:56:41 AM »
Sounds like she got what she deserved . . . especially regarding the coffee.  grin

Reminds me of an episode of the Red Green show, in which he demonstrated how to deal with tailgaters by jettisoning your rear bumper. (Think duct tape, twine, and Bic pens.)

Having said that, I, personally, don't engage in things like this . . . I live in Texas, where people carry (gasp) guns. I'm meek as can be behind the wheel, secure in the knowledge that if the situation escalates to the point where I have to employ deadly force to protect myself or my passengers, ALL the escalation to that point will be on the part of the other guy.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 09:34:01 AM »

Tailgaters are especially annoying to me; I drive a small fuel efficient vehicle most of the time and it's typically an SUV on my ass in an attempt to intimidate.  I get the last laugh, though, because I'm getting 40mpg and they're not.

Is it just me, or did this thread just get smug?
[southpark] Do you love the smell of your own farts?[/southpark]
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 09:45:42 AM »
Well, I try to be humble.  I give a friendly smile and a wave to SUV drivers spending $100 filling up at the gas station.

But I have to admit I'm secretly chortling and thinking 'dumbass' inside.  grin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 09:54:38 AM »
Well, I try to be humble.  I give a friendly smile and a wave to SUV drivers spending $100 filling up at the gas station.

But I have to admit I'm secretly chortling and thinking 'dumbass' inside.  grin

And I look at the little econobox and wonder what its like to not be able to haul the rugrats, dog, stroller, and a weeks worth of luggage somewhere.  To each his own.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

PTK

• friends
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 10:01:11 AM »
I compromise and drive a Tacoma extended cab... I get 25-30 MPG depending on driving conditions and such, yet I can really haul quite a bit.  grin
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2008, 10:46:08 AM »
I wouldn't've done it myself because I'd hate to bet my car on her ability to slow down quickly while focused elsewhere. 

My favorite approach is to gradually slow down, if getting over is not a possibility.  I was in a one-lane construction zone the other day getting rather aggressively tailgated by a semi.  Speed limit was 55.  55 was not a safe speed to be driving with a semi less than ten feet from my bumper.  I slowed down.  By the time I got down to 30 he got the message and backed off.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2008, 10:54:03 AM »
And I look at the little econobox and wonder what its like to not be able to haul the rugrats, dog, stroller, and a weeks worth of luggage somewhere.  To each his own.

Same here.  I've filled the 4Runner and the Camry to the brim before (not at the same time).  Even a weekend trip to visit family can result in some creative packing.  I can't imagine doing that in a smaller car.  I'd like an econobox to drive to/from work and around town, but the additional expense of another vehicle would be greater than the savings in fuel costs at any available level of fuel economy.

Chris

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2008, 11:08:42 AM »
For me..  I drive the Avalon every day which gets good but not great mileage.  I save my truck for truck stuff and run it on weekends to knock the dust off.  The truck is going on 15 years old but is still perfectly highway worthy.

Funny story..  going to my cabin a few  years ago  I had the truck all loaded up and was on the on ramp to get to the highway and the AC unit seized and took out the accessory belt.  I cut out the belt and limped home and managed to cram everything I needed into a Subaru Legacy sedan.  I had no idea I could fit my giant cooler in the back seat, I had maybe 1mm of clearance.  Everything was full, passenger seat, back seat, and trunk.  I didn't even need to hook up the Yakima rack and top load.  If I wasn't paying for truck repairs I would have actually saved some money that weekend.

I still drive the truck to the cabin with a light load..  feels weird to head out to do man stuff in a car.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2008, 11:09:10 AM »

Same here.  I've filled the 4Runner and the Camry to the brim before (not at the same time).  Even a weekend trip to visit family can result in some creative packing.  I can't imagine doing that in a smaller car.  I'd like an econobox to drive to/from work and around town, but the additional expense of another vehicle would be greater than the savings in fuel costs at any available level of fuel economy.

Chris

I think Honda made a big mistake not introducing the Accord Tourer model here, it's only sold in Europe and Japan. It's a crossover. Crossovers are hot. It's got room to put crap in. And it's an Accord, one of the most reliable cars ever built. Plus it's got a low-emission quiet turbodiesel!

That'd sell like crazy.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2008, 12:55:22 PM »
I used to brake-check tailgaters when I was younger, but any more I just let them tailgate.  My motto is "You have two choices, tailgate or pass".

I drive an 8000 pound, crew cab black Chevy truck with a Duramax, and it amazes me when somebody will follow me so close all I can see is the roof of their econobox over my tailgate.

Oh, and I can get 20 MPG on the highway while pulling three of your loaded econoboxes.  cheesy

On the other hand, diesel is $4.10 a gallon here.  angry

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2008, 01:26:35 PM »
And I look at the little econobox and wonder what its like to not be able to haul the rugrats, dog, stroller, and a weeks worth of luggage somewhere.

Not everybody needs to haul all that extraneous baggage around with them all the time.  Some of us just put on our pants and go.  laugh

Oh, and I can get 20 MPG on the highway while pulling three of your loaded econoboxes.  cheesy

On the other hand, diesel is $4.10 a gallon here.

Unless you're in the trucking business, who needs diesel?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2008, 01:33:56 PM »

Chris

I've put the smack down on my wife when we travel. I hand her a bag and I tell she can only bring what she can fit in the bag and can take a pillow. She fought me for quite a while then she realized how much easier it was to carry only one bag. I'm still trying to get her to wear clothes more than one day when traveling.

-Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2008, 02:18:04 PM »
Quote from: Charby
I'm still trying to get her to wear clothes more than one day when traveling.

Have you taught her how to get four days out of one undie yet ??  grin  shocked
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 02:19:06 PM »
The only tailgaters that really annoy me are the ones who push me hard in a 30 and then disappear behind me when we hit a 60. A few minutes into the next 30 there they are on my rear bumper again.

I do 30 in the 30's and 60 (where it is safe) in the 60's. Few months ago an elderly lady pulled out in front of me on a 60 forcing me to slow almost to a stop. She then proceeded along the 60 at 40mph, not safe to overtake. Eventually we hit the next town, and I slowed to 30. She carried on doing 40.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2008, 02:22:55 PM »
Well, the way I see it is this: Sucks to be her.

Hopefully, this'll make her think of what could very well have happened... it could have been far worse than some spilled coffee and a dropped phone.....
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2008, 02:26:16 PM »
Unless you're in the trucking business, who needs diesel?

Ever try running gasoline in a Duramax?  They don't last long.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2008, 02:26:37 PM »
Not only can you purchase custom license plate frames over the internet, you can purchase oversize ones that allow you to put your personalized message in BIG TYPE.

I have had countless folks come up on my rear end and park there for a few seconds, and then suddenly back off and give me room.  No brake-check, no coasting deceleration involved.

I think it might have something to do with the rear license plate frame that reads: "HOW FAST CAN YOU STOP?"  Black frame with yellow reflective letters about 1 inch high.

Now, if I could figure out what to do about the vehicles that have the left headlight aimed up and out, focused right in my face as opposed to somewhere on the road ahead.  They are bad enough with oncoming vehicles, but when they pull in behind you it's like a cop with his takedown light coming through the rear window.  Virginia annual safety inspection just cares if the headlights work - no aiming issues.  When I lived in Massachusetts eons ago that was a big item for flunking the inspection, as well as an easy $10 for the mechanic to fix for you on the spot so you could get reinspected. [/rant]

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2008, 02:44:03 PM »
There's really no need to hit the brakes suddenly and risk an accident.  Touch the pedal slightly; the brake lights will come on without the brakes engaging.  It has the same effect but is much safer.  You can also turn the headlights on for a few seconds to simulate this effect, if it's during the day of course.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2008, 03:03:24 PM »
Declaration Day hit the nail on the head.  Turn on your headlights.  The tailgater will think it's your brakes.  Safer.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2008, 03:11:36 PM »
What I want is one of those scrolling marquee signs on the back of my truck. Have it preprogrammed so that I have a series of buttons that will change the message to suit the situation. For instance, when someone is tailgating, it will scroll "Get off my *** you ********* piece of ****"
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2008, 03:12:15 PM »
Declaration Day hit the nail on the head.  Turn on your headlights.  The tailgater will think it's your brakes.  Safer.

Or, just as likely, they'll see that your third brake light didn't go on, know what you did, and just laugh at you.

Learned that one the hard way in northeast Hellanois traffic on my way back to my kinder, gentler native Wisconsin.  undecided
I promise not to duck.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2008, 04:24:35 PM »

Or, just as likely, they'll see that your third brake light didn't go on, know what you did, and just laugh at you.

Learned that one the hard way in northeast Hellanois traffic on my way back to my kinder, gentler native Wisconsin.  undecided

Someone drinking coffee and talking on a cell phone is not likely bright enough to know the difference.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2008, 10:51:39 PM »
I've been known to flick lit cigarettes out my window at people who drive in my blind spot for a mile (city) or more.  The shower of sparks seems to work quite well at getting their attention...

Once, I tossed a tater tot from Sonic at someone who was tailgating.  It was hilarious to watch them swerve their BMW to avoid a bit of greasy potato.  laugh
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2008, 03:56:10 AM »
Dion,

Ever see those little tubs of oysters at the seafood counter?

They work wonderfully.

Grey area my ass, she had it coming.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.