Author Topic: Was Heinlein right ?  (Read 691 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Was Heinlein right ?
« on: June 24, 2011, 02:36:50 AM »
That's the poll question is today's John Kass column in the Chicago Tribune.  How can APS members NOT vote in this poll on the left hand side of the column.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-met-kass-0623-20110623,0,5030149,full.column
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Was Heinlein right ?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 02:45:26 AM »
Interesting piece.
I liked this comment but he needed to add a line.
The only state. And that's really embarrassing. Taxpayers in 49 other states get to carry guns under their jackets. But in Illinois, only our criminals carry.
He needed to add criminals and police carry guns but in much of the state that is redundant"

=D =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 04:25:10 PM »
Armed and polite?
"An armed society is a polite society."

True (607 responses) 85%

False (108 responses) 15%

715 total responses

(Results not scientific)

The rest of the article is full of stuff I could copy as quotes, but I'll just recommend you go read it and pick your own favorites.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 04:57:58 PM »
There's enough cliches in that article that, if you strung them together, you could create an entire Sarah Brady speech. But the author put them in a good light.

Having carried openly very often, and carried concealed all the time for years, I'll still take concealed any time.

I'm beginning to wonder if Illinois will forever be a no-carry state. Chicago is much more powerful politically than Milwaukee, Madison and other WI liberal enclaves that were against CCW.