Author Topic: Warning for all the beer snobs -  (Read 1032 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Warning for all the beer snobs -
« on: January 13, 2015, 06:50:08 AM »
That "special" flavor you are trying for in your home brew may not be the very besy of ideas:

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/01/12/69-people-die-after-drinking-contaminated-beer-in-mozambique/21128186/?cps=gravity_3526_-1965706363536817631

MAPUTO, Mozambique (AP) - Authorities in Mozambique say the number of people who died after drinking contaminated traditional beer has risen to 69.

Pombe, a traditional Mozambican beer, is made from millet or corn flour. The exact source of the contamination is still unknown, but authorities believe the drink was poisoned with crocodile bile during the course of the funeral.

The only thing worse (I hope) would be to find out the local funeral home/burial society provided the beer.

I've watched enough travel adventure shows to know how "traditional" beers are made.  The list of things added to the liquid to cause fermentation is prety small.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Warning for all the beer snobs -
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 01:46:29 PM »
Apparently not, according to Forbes - "The owner of the drink stand, her daughter, nephew, and four members of neighboring families were among the first seven fatalities received at the local hospital morgue on Saturday morning."

They're also up to 71 deaths, and apparently it's not actually crocodile bile, but some plant added during the witch doctoring to make the poison to kill somebody.  Probably a hefty fee to take out that many people.  :(

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 04:14:20 PM »
The first thing i thought was cyanide poisoning from the malted sorghum.  But the symptoms are a better match for cardiac glycoside poisoning, from something like oleander or milkweeds (but probably stronger) -- or maybe nicotine.

The new media seems to have latched onto the ridiculous "crocodile bile" story.  :facepalm:
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 04:25:48 PM »
The first thing i thought was cyanide poisoning from the malted sorghum.  But the symptoms are a better match for cardiac glycoside poisoning, from something like oleander or milkweeds (but probably stronger) -- or maybe nicotine.

The new media seems to have latched onto the ridiculous "crocodile bile" story.  :facepalm:

Aspergillus molds leading to Aflatoxin poisoning?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536