Author Topic: Warm weather hat ...  (Read 1181 times)

Chester32141

• friend
Warm weather hat ...
« on: July 17, 2016, 12:01:40 PM »

I've been tasked w/ finding a quality, effective warm weather hat for my nephew that works construction in the south ... any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated ...

I'm in central Florida ... to stay cool while fishing I use 2 boonie hats w/ 2 frog tog towels ... I keep one set in the cooler w/ ice while the other one is on and swap them out about every 20 min.

But if there is a store made item that is better I need to buy one for my nephew so any recommendations would be appreciated ...

Thanks ...  :cool:
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Warm weather hat ...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 12:17:35 PM »
There is an outfit called Mission that makes a bunch of cooling gear. Mostly ball caps in hats though. Their line of stuff is called Enduracool.

bob

http://www.missionathletecare.com/collections/cooling-towels?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2ay8BRC7sYequMydsq0BEiQAbEX9UNc07FdCCCI5-s_9BiwqZrQ1V6ZmqtoYo4FALqihXRkaAujk8P8HAQ

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 01:11:12 PM »
I have had canvas Tilley hats for years, but finally broke down and bought one of their synthetic brain buckets:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E9A07U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Tilley Endurables LTM6 Airflo Hat

Along with this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F2E1BOM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Tilley Nylon TCIS Insect Shield Sun Block Cape

I'll post a review after I have had it for a while, but I think it will be even better than the canvas Tilleys.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 01:21:54 PM »
For me the Tilley is too hot once we get into summer. I wear a Panama Jack mesh type when it get really warm here. I keep the Tilley for spring and fall.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 01:25:11 PM »
You didn't specify if he wanted brimmed or ballcap, but I have been rocking this Henschel Breezer for a bit over a year now. My straw cowboy hat was actually too warm for me in the Summer here, so I gave the Breezer a try.  I really like it and it really does let the breeze through to keep your head cool. Wore it to Hawaii last year as well and found it much cooler than a ballcap, plus better sunburn protection. I also like it better than a boonie hat because sans soaking the boonie in water, they don't really let your head breath, plus the brims can be annoying if they flop around.

My hot weather use is in the dry West. 90s-low 100s, but not much humidity, so your Florida mileage may vary.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00266YXZ4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 01:54:37 PM »
For me the Tilley is too hot once we get into summer. I wear a Panama Jack mesh type when it get really warm here. I keep the Tilley for spring and fall.

bob

Yup, Panama straw hats are the absolute tops for shading the head and keeping it cool.  But one of the parameters was construction and those Panama hats don't wear well under moderate to hard use.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 04:35:47 PM »
The Tilley hats are great. Pricey but they have a genuine lifetime guarantee. I wore one to tatters and called them. I had to send it to them and pay shipping but the replacement is now well broken in. Wear them loose on the head.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 05:27:04 PM »
I have a Tilley that I have worn in Africa, Southeast Asia, Southwest Asia, and about 5 years of Central Florida outside work.  Pricey, but worth it in the long wrong.

They have ball caps and more traditional styles. Good stuff.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 05:35:37 PM »
I've been tasked w/ finding a quality, effective warm weather hat for my nephew that works construction in the south ... any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated ...

How is he working construction and not wearing a hard hat? I don't think I've been on a construction site in the last five years where everyone (including inspectors) didn't have to wear a hard hat, or they couldn't set foot inside the fence.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 06:19:15 PM »
What's wrong with a good old-fashioned straw cowboy hat?  Other than he's working construction and needs a hard hat.

I bought one of these a few years ago; it's not bad: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JZ1PSU
"It's good, though..."

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 12:07:36 PM »
Thanks for the ideas ... he is a self employed carpenter installing doors for Home Depot ... I'll check w/ him regarding the need to wear a hard hat ... thanks again ...
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 02:06:40 PM »
this is different than the other suggestions and very inexpensive but I have gotten a lot of use out of a Condor mesh cap.

https://www.amazon.com/Condor-Mesh-Tactical-Cap-Color/dp/B00NX3QD5M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1468951567&sr=8-3&keywords=condor+mesh+cap
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.