Author Topic: Free UPS, if I know how to use it.  (Read 4869 times)

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
Free UPS, if I know how to use it.
« on: April 11, 2008, 10:36:21 AM »
Well, I've yet to have my computer worked on, per that other thread.  But I have recently come into possession Wink of a UPS, and a wireless printer adapter.  Does anyone here use the UPS software that comes with Windows?  How do I set it up?  I have a little problem with the UPS's proprietary software.

The UPS is a CyberPower 525SL.  Basically a surge protector with battery back-up and a serial cable for connecting to the computer.  The software and user's manual are freely available online, so I set everything up and tried it out.  When I unplugged the UPS, everything seemed to be working fine.  I was still online, and computing away.  After a short interval, it closed my programs and shut down the computer for me.  But when I plugged in and restarted, I was unable to find the word document that I had created.

So, I would like to try the Windows option.  But when I tried it with Windows, it didn't save anything, either.  I'm not even sure if it can. 

Helps, please?   sad

The wireless printer adapter is used to send print jobs, in lieu of a cable.  I was really surprised that it didn't require any software, and is totally plug and play.   shocked   Right now the good-old-fashioned cable makes more sense, but the wireless deal might be useful someday. 

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Free UPS, if I know how to use it.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:29:13 AM »
Basically, if the power goes out, I take that as a cue that I REALLY need to save, right now, and shut down normally.

I've got a UPS on my downstairs computer, one on my upstairs computer, and one on my Epson. The Mutoh really draws too much power, because it's also a little space heater (for ink drying), to use with a "normal" UPS, so it's on it's own...

Blog under construction

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 11:32:29 AM »
Basically, if the power goes out, I take that as a cue that I REALLY need to save, right now, and shut down normally.

The point is to have it save files and shut down for you, when you're not there. 

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 12:24:25 PM »
Yeah, that's the point. But I've generally discovered that the "point" is something I end up sitting upon.

I just save. Obsessively. And if the power goes out, I shut down. I actually have the USB cables and disks somewhere for the dealies I've got, but I'm a control freak. I don't want the thing to -try- to do something. I wanna make damn sure.

Blog under construction

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 12:40:10 PM »
Also,

Do a search of the entire c:\drive for *.tmp files around the time of the unexpected shutdown or when the parent application crashed. Then either force the application to open it, or manually reassign the extension and see if it'll open.

That's saved my bacon with MS Word several times on PC's where the auto-save was disabled.
I promise not to duck.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 12:57:27 PM »
The software is there to provide a graceful shutdown, and close/save apps before having the operating system initiate a shutdown routine.

I think you may have to edit or toggle an option in your UPS shutdown menu, and see where it saves opened files, and under what filenames, etc.

My wife's IBM Intellistation is running a Cyberpower 1500AVR-HO w/serial connection, and it monitors line voltage, alerts the user about power fluctuations, and initiates graceful shutdowns after a preset amount of time when the utility power cuts out.  Providing 1.5kVA, it'll give her about 50 minutes of working time before the shutdown commences, which is plenty of time to finish what she's doing and save her work. 

My own IBM Intellistation and SCSI HD tower run on a pair of MGE Pulsar EX-30 rack units, which supply 3kVA to the workstation and peripherals, about one hour and 20 minutes' worth of runtime per UPS when the utility power goes out. The MGE Personal Solution-Pac UPS software does a more in-depth monitoring of line conditions, and has more options for alerts, notifications, and how to initiate the graceful shutdown process. I'm lazy, and just have the MGE Pulsar initiate a Hibernate, which suspends any programs running and simply brings them back up as they were prior to the shutdown.  Otherwise, I could also have it save Word documents under a given name, etc.  I'm somewhat leery of bad power after living in Flicker 'n Flash East Coast Florida, so I went all-out with the power protection:

Each of my two stepsons' IBM Intellistations has a Belkin 600VA UPS, which gives them about 10 minutes' worth of usable working time before they trigger a Windows shutdown. 

With the thunderstorms and power sags/dropouts/surges we experienced last night, I'm not regretting any of the power protection schemes I have on the home network. 

I'd wager it's simply a toggle or setting that's messing you up, Eleven Mike. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 01:16:04 PM »
Always take advice from The Man With The Red Phone.

Do you have any tubeage plugged into it?

Blog under construction

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 01:31:20 PM »
As a matter of fact, the SAC Red Phone's external dialer box and the little HCT tube amp are fed by the upper MGE UPS.  grin

(Old picture, I should update one of these days...)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 01:33:25 PM »
(Old picture, I should update one of these days...) 

Yeah, your fans want to see what you're up to.   laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 01:34:58 PM »
New desk, and relocated foot-warmer:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 01:37:15 PM »
Ah, look, he thinks he's a surge protector! 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 05:26:27 PM »
That's probably a bit over-the-top, but I've lost some expensive computer and audio equipment due to power spikes and other nasty transients from the utility companies over the last 25 or so years.  Insurance only covered part of the losses.   sad

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 08:57:47 PM »
Solution:  Save before you leave your desk.  Save when the power goes off.  I wouldn't rely on a program to do it for you.

There's a UPS on my work computer.  Fun fact:  Small UPS's won't support dual 19" CRT monitors.  Second fun fact:  Trying to save while not being able to see what you're doing is nerve wracking, and is a good reason to know keyboard shortcuts.   cheesy
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 09:22:46 AM »
Solution:  Save before you leave your desk.  Save when the power goes off.  I wouldn't rely on a program to do it for you.

Wow, thanks for a brilliant suggestion that was already made.  I'm sure I'm going to be leaving important stuff sitting there during a thunderstorm, even when the power goes out.  Naturally, when I asked this question I was really saying that I was going to be completely negligent, and let the UPS software do everything for me. 

I'm very sorry for asking how to use the software that is available, to get a little more protection from power outages.  I guess I'll just unplug the UPS and throw it away.  Who needs battery power or surge protection anyway?  That's for people without the sense to save and shut down when they're about to have a power issue.  I'm going to plug everything straight into the wall.  Here's my new set-up.

Now, can we have no further silly responses telling me NOT to use the software?  That doesn't get us anywhere. 

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 05:20:24 PM »
Just don't use the software.  smiley

And lighten up.  undecided
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 02:15:01 PM »
Just don't use the software.  smiley

And lighten up.  undecided

This. 

A software program that does the saving for you might be a nice thing, but it's a little like the safety on a gun.  You should never rely on it to save your ass, because it's a mechanical (or in this case, software) device and it CAN fail.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 02:40:30 PM »
A software program that does the saving for you might be a nice thing, but it's a little like the safety on a gun.  You should never rely on it to save your ass, because it's a mechanical (or in this case, software) device and it CAN fail.

Thanks again for the great wisdom, Confucius.  I'm asking how to properly tune this "safety" and you're telling me not to use it.  Thanks for all the help. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 02:46:46 PM »
Step back.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 04:09:12 PM »

Thanks again for the great wisdom, Confucius.  I'm asking how to properly tune this "safety" and you're telling me not to use it.  Thanks for all the help. 

I'm not telling you not to use it. I'm telling you not to rely on it.  There's a difference.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 07:49:47 PM »
Are you using WinXP or Win2k?

If so, can you please get me an event viewer dump?
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

mike

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 06:43:19 AM »
If you hadn't named it already then it might be saved under a name that the UPS gave it and it's just a matter of finding out what name or names it uses when it saves things.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 07:19:34 AM »
I'm not telling you not to use it. I'm telling you not to rely on it.  There's a difference.

Many, many people and businesses do indeed rely on UPS software to do things unattended when the line voltage goes wonky.  That's what they're designed for, and that's what they do, day in and day out, and have been for many years.  Whether it's a server rack or a single home PC, it's the same.  The owner/user should expect a certain level of reliability, and that's what the OP is trying to accomplish.  Telling them not to rely on a reputable combination of hardware/software designed to accomplish something is funny at best. It tickles my MCSE funnybone, that's for sure. 

Cheese & rice.   rolleyes