Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
$70
« on: September 28, 2008, 05:50:39 AM »
2 adult, 2 childrens tickets to a 3D movie:  $42
2 kid's packs (popcorn small drink small candy), 2 large Icees, 2 candys, $28
Being ***raped at the movies: priceless.
 shocked
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Re: $70
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 06:04:45 AM »
Hello Netflix?!?!

Better yet, get a cheap pizza and some candy, drag your TV out to the driveway and turn up the sound so that the neighbors can hear it.  Then get everybody in the car.....
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 06:06:42 AM »
Hello Netflix?!?!

A) no 3D movies that I know of
B) sometimes its about the experience for the kids.  I sure as hell ain't taking them all the time at those prices.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 06:14:14 AM »
"I sure as hell ain't taking them all the time at those prices."

You're not kidding. You work like a dog and....

wait....

YOUR WIFE EARNS THE MONEY!

What the hell do you care?  Take them on a cruise! laugh

I remember being absolutely and completely pissed off when Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, raised ticket prices to $4.25 a pop.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 06:21:20 AM »
We have a discount theater a couple miles down the road that is $2 a ticket, and has somewhat cheaper than normal (in both senses of the word) popcorn. It plays the most popular movies after they are out of normal rotation. When I want to get her out of the house, I take my wife there to save money. grin

The image and sound quality are somewhat worse, but I usually get pissed off about that in normal theaters anyway. I've given up on expecting anything but the base atmosphere of movie going out of theaters, even normally good ones. Wall-e was out of focus. Batman Begins was projected with completely unacceptable and nauseating 'wow', and the cinemark that is closest to us has very visibly segmented screens that are very distracting. The last time I was sensorally satisfied at a theater was at the iMax Dark Night.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 06:23:54 AM »
What did you guys see Jamis?

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, raised ticket prices to $4.25 a pop.

Holy crap! Its about 6 bucks for standard movies at my local theater.

But we also have a $2 theater nearby that plays movies much later than they first come out. A couple weeks ago I saw the new Indiana Jones movie on $1 dollar Tuesday with my dad. It was funny.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 06:43:28 AM »
We have a discount theater a couple miles down the road that is $2 a ticket, and has somewhat cheaper than normal (in both senses of the word) popcorn. It plays the most popular movies after they are out of normal rotation. When I want to get her out of the house, I take my wife there to save money. grin

The image and sound quality are somewhat worse, but I usually get pissed off about that in normal theaters anyway. I've given up on expecting anything but the base atmosphere of movie going out of theaters, even normally good ones. Wall-e was out of focus. Batman Begins was projected with completely unacceptable and nauseating 'wow', and the cinemark that is closest to us has very visibly segmented screens that are very distracting. The last time I was sensorally satisfied at a theater was at the iMax Dark Night.

All the theaters here are now massive stadium complexes with punch-you-in-the-face sound and some IMAX screens as well. Vertical row airline seats so there's no blocked view, all that.

For that, it's more worth the price. I remember seeing Blackhawk Down in a stadium setup with truly well-designed surround. People were visibly flinching at the RPGs, plus the gunfire was LOUD.

Also, still the best THX spoof ever done...http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ1Qrd0JTe8

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 07:06:59 AM »

But we also have a $2 theater nearby that plays movies much later than they first come out. A couple weeks ago I saw the new Indiana Jones movie on $1 dollar Tuesday with my dad. It was funny.

Fly me to the moon.  Really sucked but it was cute for the kids, and it was a good experience for them to do the 3-D thing.  It was fun watching them try to grab things that were flying around.

All the theaters here are now massive stadium complexes with punch-you-in-the-face sound and some IMAX screens as well. Vertical row airline seats so there's no blocked view, all that.

For that, it's more worth the price.

that is the bonus about this theatre, too.  Big seats that don't try and fold-up-and-eat-you while you're getting in or out of them.  No blocked views in the entire theatre.
JD

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 08:10:51 AM »
Those new theaters with the awesome sound and comfy seats are worth every penny for a good movie....

Now if Hollywood would come out with something  that I'd actually blow $50 on in an evening, we'd be set.

I think the last halfway decent movie I saw in theater was LOTR.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 09:20:01 AM »
I would have told the children that there were fresh, crisp, delicious Festingos* waiting for them at home, and saved money on the food.

*Stop and Shop brand Tortilla chips, I kid you not.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 05:29:13 PM »

do you live in tx?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 05:46:03 PM »
Those new theaters with the awesome sound and comfy seats are worth every penny for a good movie....

Or would be if the management would make half an effort to make people shut up and turn off their cell phones.

Every once in a great while I bite my tongue and take my oldest daughter to an indoor theater to see something I know she'll enjoy. Otherwise, I wouldn't set foot in one.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 11:55:31 PM »

I used to go to a $2 theater as well. But in that one the rat stampedes were often better than the movies.  cheesy
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 03:01:46 AM »
Or would be if the management would make half an effort to make people shut up and turn off their cell phones.

You know, people complain about that sort of thing frequently, but I don't remember the last time a cellphone user was a problem in a theater.  I can't complain about the odd cellphone that goes off if the owner leaves to take the call.  I've been "on call" for family emergencies (relatives near death, etc) often enough to appreciate the fact you can't always turn the phone off.

Chris

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 03:27:02 AM »

You know, people complain about that sort of thing frequently, but I don't remember the last time a cellphone user was a problem in a theater.  I can't complain about the odd cellphone that goes off if the owner leaves to take the call.  I've been "on call" for family emergencies (relatives near death, etc) often enough to appreciate the fact you can't always turn the phone off.

Chris

I didn't say cell phone gabbing happened a lot, just that it happens. The lights are also distracting and thus irritating when people, usually teens who can't live without their cell phones, get bored with the movie and open their phones to check for calls they might have missed and/or to send a text message.

I understand the sometime necessity of the things, but people could put them on "vibrate" and, agreed, if it does ring take the call out to the lobby.

And to clarify, by "shut up" I didn't just mean using the phone. Too many people act like they're sitting in their living room and want to discuss what's going on with their friends or just whoever happens to be sitting nearby.

The last time I went to a movie to see something I wanted to see was over ten years ago when a friend and I went downtown to see Halloween H2O. Just before the film started a group of six people came in, five of them sat on one row and the sixth sat in the row ahead of them. The woman in front spent the entire film half turned toward her friends and they all chatted with each other and shouted at the screen during the entire runtime. I went looking for an usher and couldn't get one of them to come into the theatre (it was the last show of the evening and they were all busy doing their closing tasks) nor get one of them to call for a manager. I went back into the theatre and told the talkers I didn't appreciate them ruining the show for me. The singleton looked at me like I had three eyes and said, "I don't know what your problem is. We didn't tell you how it ends!" I said I meant them running their mouths throughout the movie and she retorted, "So!? This is interactive entertainment!"

People think they can act like they want because they paid their money and don't care that other people paid, too. That's why I hardly ever set foot in a theatre anymore.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 03:32:56 AM »
Not sure where you live, but my theatre is often frequented by ruffians.....
I've had a few talkers here and there, and once asked someone to hang up there phone (which got an "FU", but they still did it...), but its been a rare problem.  And people here in NoVA as a general rule think they are super busy super important and are always on the phone.
JD

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 05:00:07 AM »
Some years ago Lawrence Fishburn was appearing on stage in Otello in, I believe, London.

During the performance someone's cell phone started ringing, and ringing and ringing.

He finally broke character, came down to the apron and screamed at the patrons "If you don't shut that (*&^)(&*^()Y$ phone off I'm going to (*)&^)(*& shove it up your ()*%$()&*$^()*7^ ass!"

He apparently got quite a laugh and applause.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 05:03:27 AM »
Isn't it rather easy to construct/design a building where reception would be kept to a low, so people can't receive calls?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 05:18:48 AM »
i saw the first Batman movie at the KB Cerberus in Georgetown WDC
the audience participation was rather overt
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 05:37:18 AM »
Isn't it rather easy to construct/design a building where reception would be kept to a low, so people can't receive calls?

I'm sure, but hear me out:
I've got two kids.  When said kids are left with 16 year old baby sitter, I'd really like to know if there is a problem.  Dinner and a movie means the baby sitter has the kids a couple hours.  My wife and I have our phones on vibrate.
So go ahead and design that movie theatre, we won't be using it.
JD

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 05:49:29 AM »

Yep. I sit in one. The building where I work used to be a Defense Mapping Agency building, and it was constructed as a huge Faraday cage.

Several layers of fine copper mesh in the walls, special windows, etc.

If you're not standing in a very specific spot by one of the windows, you have serious problems getting a cell signal.

Radio reception is equally problematic.

But, that adds a HUGE amount of cost to the construction.

theotherwaldo

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 05:59:54 AM »
I don't know about any $70 movies, but I loved my own experience of watching The Empire Strikes Back at an old drive-in. 

There we were, relaxing in our lawn chairs in the back of my old pick-up, chomping our (brought-from-home) snacks and listening to the soundtrack echoing from all of the other cars, when the fog started rolling in.

ZOOM!

Can you say 3D?  When the spacecraft flashed over on the way to the screen it almost ripped our hair off!  A GREAT way to watch a movie!

-And they gave us our money back because the fog "ruined" the movie! laugh

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 06:42:25 AM »
Sounds like a great night, waldo.

There's one drive-in left in the Atlanta area, not far away from where I live. Five bucks a head and double feature shows every night. Lawn chairs in the pickup bed, a cooler full of snacks and drinks, the truck's stereo booming out the sound, and numbnuts activity at a minimum. A great way to experience a movie.