Author Topic: Ford F-150 HELP!!  (Read 4865 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Ford F-150 HELP!!
« on: October 26, 2008, 03:16:10 PM »
 :laugh:

1995 to be exact. Nothing annoys me more than having to use a metric wrench on the bolt and an English wrench on the nut. So much for good old American iron. Of course using the sawzall to get a few of them apart annoys me pretty good too. Man that POS is rusted up underneath. The body looks great but the frame? Hoo boy...  ;/

Anyhow, can anyone tell me how to get the fuel lines off of the fuel pump on one of those wonderfully designed mechanical marvels?  They had some clips that came right off but it appears there's tabs down in there that are preventing the fittings from sliding off the nubbies coming out of the pump. I guess making it easy wasn't an option.  =|
Avoid cliches like the plague!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Ford F-150 HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 03:40:31 PM »
You got me, the only piece on an F-150 I haven't fixed.  :rolleyes: If it is like every other ford fuel line it is circular spring clip and you need a special ford tool to pop them. Its like a little pair of pliers with half a collar on each jaw, slide them down in the fitting and it spreads the spring. Or you could use a blowtorch.

Obligatory fuel pump story. My dad is under his Suburban replacing the fuel pump on a nice warm day. He barely got the brainless employee of his stopped before the guy turned on the ELECTRIC shop vac to suck up all the sealant and dirt. Smart Tom, very smart.

Almost as smart as the Navy fellow someone told to clean up a couple gallons of JP-5 on the hangar floor. They luckily stopped him right before he plugged in the wet/dry vac.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 04:04:44 PM »
Dammit! Why does there always have to be a special tool for the simple *expletive deleted*it these days? That's kinda what I figured. A tool I have to buy, will use only once and then own it for the rest of eternity. Who wants to bet it cost big bucks? POS Ford...  :mad:

=D

280plus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 04:17:40 PM »
Yup, got the ford mechanic brother on the phone, special tool because theyre' high pressure because its fuel injected. he does, however, have said tool. Just gotta wait till next weekend. Thanks Mr G!  =)

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 04:20:22 PM »
I had to buy these awhile back...

http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,87120/initialAction,accessoryProductDetail/initialR,1663090/shopping/selectZip.htm

because some genius at Ford decided the fan clutch had to be THREADED onto the water pump shaft...

I found that out about 23:45, outside, in 20 degree weather. I was not pleased...

Damned Fords.

=D

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 04:31:26 PM »
I found that out about 23:45, outside, in 20 degree weather.
I believe that would be the correct time and temp to find such things out. In my experience anyways.  :laugh:

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 04:59:01 PM »
http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,87120/initialAction,accessoryProductDetail/initialR,1663090/shopping/selectZip.htm

Wow, that really is a specialty tool.  According to Autozone's description, it's used to service Ford 4.9L inline V-6 engines!

Owens

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 05:07:54 PM »
special tool because theyre' high pressure because its fuel injected

After all, Ford couldn't possibly use something that has, say, threads. You know, like on diesel, where the pressures run over 10,000 psi.

Course, Chev and the others do it too. =quick assembly.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 05:12:45 PM »
Wow, that really is a specialty tool.  According to Autozone's description, it's used to service Ford 4.9L inline V-6 engines!

:laugh: I hadn't noticed that, good catch!
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 07:09:01 PM »
What? You take your v-6's and line them up on the frame for your pullin' tractor, no biggie! The snyc is a little tricky though.  :laugh:

yea, ditto on the ease of assembly. Good thing I got a Ford mech in the family. I didn't want to bother him with it but too bad for him I guess. LOL...

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 07:16:40 PM »
i've got one of those tools  theu make a cheap plastic version
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 10:42:25 PM »
Have you fixed a Ford, lately ?

:laugh:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 11:18:15 PM »
gonna drop one of the gas tanks tomorrow
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 05:20:48 AM »
Ah, you'll soon feel my pain, and scraped knuckles.    =D

Owens

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 07:17:24 AM »
gonna drop one of the gas tanks tomorrow

If your going for the fuel pump, it may be easier to lift the bed up. Thats what I did a few weeks back when my pump went out on my chevy. 8 bolts and up it comes. Left the 2 rearmost in but loose to act as  a pivot.
Made the job easy.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 07:27:36 AM »
its a utility body and its loaded but i'll remember that trick

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 07:35:49 AM »

Yes, that tool will get it off, with much punding, pulling and cursing.

Cut them off.  Reclamp using High-pressure fuel hose and 2 fuel system clamps per connection (stainless) availible at NAPA.

Total cost - less than 10 dollars.

Time saved - at least an hour.

Mine's lasted 7 years and 140,000 miles.

I will not post a picture because it is raining and snowing here and I ain't going out to lay in it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 07:38:52 PM by Two Cold Soakers »
7-11 was a part time job.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 08:00:25 AM »
The flexible fuel lines are stainless braided. Little brother cussed me out for not calling him to do it so I'm under strict orders to wait til Saturday for him to fight with it. I'm not going to srgue with him, it's a losing battle. Meanwhile my mission is to scrape, prime, paint and undercoat everything I can before Saturday. Man that thing did some rusting while I wasn't looking. Breaks my little heart.  =(

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 08:09:20 AM »
ask your brother if i can just mount an inline pump and not drop my tank. will it pull through the old one ok?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 08:10:23 AM »
I'll see if I can raise him on the horn...

280plus

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 08:21:34 AM »
I'm sorry to tell you he says no, gotta pull it. I did the front "midships" tank and I actually had more trouble pulling the skid plate than the tank itself. The two bolts at either end next to the driveshaft spun their little welded nut things loose and would just turn and turn. That's where the sawzall came in, had to cut them both. I guess a die grinder would have worked better but I don't have one, or air, and I would sweat all the sparks in close proximity with the fuel anyways. If it's bad under there like mine you should consider new straps for sure and maybe even the tank as they are famous for rotting through and you're going through the hassle of pulling it out anyways. If the tank looks extra rusty around the edges, change it.

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 08:49:25 AM »
will do!  thanks

280plus

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 09:05:34 AM »
Not a prob!  Good luck! =D

Little bro strongly recommends undercoating the new tank if you go that route.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 09:35:50 PM »
You obviously have a fake ford. I have a real Ford, it has automatic undercoating fuel tanks. Between the engine oil leaks and the transfer case leaks my fuel tanks are never rusting.  :lol:

Which brings me to the Ford tool kit. Used to be a tool kit came in all Ford cars, hence the ubiquitous "Ford wrench." they cut costs, now you just get a single road flare and a screwdriver. Remove the plates with the screwdriver, jam the flare in the fuel filler neck, light it and start hitchhiking. Nope, I'm not bitter, not me.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 10:28:29 PM »
I think more parts on a Honda are made in America then on a Ford anymore...