Author Topic: No Handwriting Allowed  (Read 4857 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
No Handwriting Allowed
« on: May 13, 2016, 06:12:34 PM »
This was interesting. Old fella enters a Quaker Oats recipe contest and sends in a handwritten recipe. Quaker Oats sent him a rejection letter. If they stipulated electronically submitted copies only (for storage and not having to scan hardcopies),  I would understand why the handwritten submission doesn't fly. However it sounds like they accepted hardcopies, so what's the difference?

Doesn't sound like the guy cares much one way or the other or is making a big stink about it, but it did kind of hit me, as we talk about changing times around here, that "handwriting vs typed on a computer" is almost analogous to "cash vs electronic payments".  Society is really pushing out both of the formers for the latters.

I'm sure that I, in my 50's, have a different perspective on it than some of you in your 30's and younger. :)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/13/elderly-mans-quaker-oats-contest-submission-rejected-because-it-s-hand-written.html?intcmp=hpbt4

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 06:24:25 PM »
Maybe some of their Millennial workers can't read unless it's typed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: No Handwriting Allowed
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 07:17:41 PM »
Maybe some of their Millennial workers can't read unless it's typed

More likely they didn't want to be subjected to illegible penmanship.

Or is it perhaps because they can automatically digitize a typed recipe, but would have to digitize the hand-written one, uh, by hand?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 07:25:33 PM »
Or none of the millennials could read his cursive handwriting to type it in....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 07:29:06 PM »

Sad, since from the image, his cursive is quite legible. No prescription writing physician he.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 07:33:14 PM »
 :facepalm:

The Millennials as useless hipster idiots trope is wearing thin. Speaking of hipsters, there's probably a whole hipster sub-culture of DIY (hand-written) letter-writing, calligraphy, etc.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 07:46:35 PM »
:facepalm:

The Millennials as useless hipster idiots trope is wearing thin. Speaking of hipsters, there's probably a whole hipster sub-culture of DIY (hand-written) letter-writing, calligraphy, etc.

How about millennials who can't figure out what lane to drive in? Because I don't see that getting old at all. :)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 07:50:34 PM »
How about millennials who can't figure out what lane to drive in? Because I don't see that getting old at all. :)

oh snap
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 08:20:01 PM »

Here in west Michigan everybody knows what lane to drive in.  Far left, three feet behind the car in front of you, 80 MPH.  When your exit comes up just cut across all the traffic and dive off into the off ramp!   ;)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 10:05:18 PM »

It got old as soon as he started doing it.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 11:13:28 PM »

I was in a mood today, not mad, but pretty on the pipe for some reason. I also logged 350 miles total before/after my workday. I handled a few left lane parkers rather less than gently. And I feel good about that.  >:D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 12:32:29 AM »
I had to laugh at this comment:

keizan
2 hours ago

Maybe customers of Quaker Oats who still know how to write by hand should deluge them with letters of complaint. I could also recommend a few brands of much better oatmeal for Mr. Smith to try.

I can write in cursive, and I can certainly read it (Mr. Smith's hand is pretty good) but I prefer block lettering.  Learned it in drafting class in high school when we used T-squares and triangles.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 08:49:39 AM »

To be fair, millennials probably didn't get to study handwriting or cursive in school, cursive is archaic and may have been done away with in favor of newer and more exciting curriculum like transgender victim studies.  :old:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 09:21:49 AM »
My cursive handwriting is terrible, and I learned to print in block capitals back when I was being taught to do medical charting and in my chemistry lab notebooks.  Ms. MillCreek has that beautiful female teacher cursive handwriting, and in her school district, they still teach cursive at the elementary grade levels.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 10:00:52 AM »
To be fair, millennials probably didn't get to study handwriting or cursive in school, cursive is archaic and may have been done away with in favor of newer and more exciting curriculum like transgender victim studies.  :old:

As bad as Millennials may or may not be, there is one indisputable fact. They are not the generation that produced hippies, the foulest curse on humanity yet achieved. Evil as the communists were, they at least build some things, contributed some things to science and cratered hard enough to proof communism was a dismal failure.

There's no way to wash off the shame of being the generation that plagued the world with hippies.

[popcorn]
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 10:21:01 AM »
As bad as Millennials may or may not be, there is one indisputable fact. They are not the generation that produced hippies, the foulest curse on humanity yet achieved. Evil as the communists were, they at least build some things, contributed some things to science and cratered hard enough to proof communism was a dismal failure.

There's no way to wash off the shame of being the generation that plagued the world with hippies.

[popcorn]

Well, there are hipsters now, which are almost as bad, and before the hippies, there were the zoot suiters, and before them, there was ???
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 11:12:05 AM »
^  Jitterbuggers?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 11:31:01 AM »
Well, there are hipsters now, which are almost as bad, and before the hippies, there were the zoot suiters, and before them, there was ???

people who worked for a living because there wasn't much free time for youthful "rebellion"*.

*I quoted rebellion, because the millennial SJW seem to be awfully unclear as to what rebellion actually is.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 01:04:02 PM »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 09:00:50 AM »
Ah, the exuberance of youth.  Jitterbugging is fun to watch, though.

https://youtu.be/pc0hr0ih35k

I myself can't dance worth a toot, and I was limited to the standard box step.

This worked out well for me on various dates, but I had to warn the girl that we were just going to do a box step.  

Nevertheless, my Mom taught me how to lead, and for some reason, the girls enjoyed it, sometimes commenting that I was a good leader.  Mmmm, OK, but it's just suggestions to move  by subtle pressures.  Like riding a horse.

But generally, any complex physical variations were a world apart from my ken and it's beyond me how they can remember all the moves, even in ballroom dancing.  I know there's a method of choreographic notation using stick figures, but how they can remember them in a long routine is beyond my little brain.  Oh, I forgot.  I could do the polka, too.

Not a polka, but this just popped up in my brain.  Now it's going to be an earworm all day long....

One, two three, four o'clock rock.
Five, six. seven, eight o'clock rock.
Nine, ten, eleven, twelve o'clock rock,
We're gonna rock around the clock tonight.
We're gonna rock, rock, rock 'til broad daylight...

https://youtu.be/ZgdufzXvjqw

Ah, skirts aswirl,
A petticoated girl,
Capri pants clinging
As everyone's swinging.
And my jeans are too tight,
Round my loins from the sight.
 :rofl: :old:

Ah, the exuberance of youth.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zorn_Cachucha.jpg
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:35:03 AM by 230RN »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 09:34:58 AM »
Loosley based on the handwritten vs typed, I sort of recently read an article that talked about H.P Lovecraft when he would send in letters to the editor talking down about some other author, and there was a response from some farmer. What was interesting was that the farmer apoligized for not writing in ink because a pencil was all he had. Was it considered impolite or low class or something to write in pencil back then or something?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 09:44:21 AM »
^ I don't know, but John Steinbeck wrote most of his novels in longhand (cursive) with a Capitol #2 pencil, on yellow legal pads.   He even had one of the first electric pencil sharpeners !

Sample of his cursive from one of his diaries:

Terry, 230RN

Image courtesy of
http://tumblr.austinkleon.com/post/32462339668

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 10:11:59 AM »
Was it considered impolite or low class or something to write in pencil back then or something?

Ignatius opened “The Journal of a Working Boy” to the first unused sheet of Blue Horse looseleaf filler, officiously snapping the point of his ballpoint pen forward. The point of the Levy Pants pen did not catch on the first snap and slipped back into the plastic cylinder. Ignatius snapped more vigorously, but again the point slid disobediently back out of sight. Cracking the pen furiously on the edge of his desk, Ignatius picked up one of the Venus Medalist pencils lying on the floor. He probed the wax in his ears with the pencil and began to concentrate, listening to the sounds of his mother’s preparations for an evening at the bowling alley.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 11:25:15 AM »
I am curious:  Was that the only hand written entry they rejected?  Did they receive any others?  If it was the only one, it seems silly to reject it.  If they have a history of illegible entries, I can understand a bit more.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 11:49:31 AM »
Evil as the communists were, they at least build some things, contributed some things to science and cratered hard enough to proof communism was a dismal failure.

Wait ...

If they proved so conclusively that communism was a dismal failure, how do you explain Obama, Hillary, and Bernie?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design