Author Topic: Wrist Watches? Anybody?  (Read 4862 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Wrist Watches? Anybody?
« on: June 25, 2018, 09:54:01 AM »
Do I remember somebody around here being knowledgable and occasionally even selling quality watches?
? Does anybody still wear a wristwatch or does everybody rely on their smartphone device?

I'm considering going back to a wristwatch because I dislike feeling tethered to my phone and usually just leave it on my desk at work or in the house when I'm home but outside.
My dilemma is this:
1. I have not owned a working watch for years
2. I kill watches. For some unknown bio electrical reason or whatever, they go to my wrist to die there.
I had good history with a seiko kinetic self winder that I lost because I didn't repair the clasp when I first started having an issue. I had pretty good service from a wegner titanium before it quit after 2-3 years.
In personal protest I want conventional hands. (A local school announced they were going to all digital because the kiddies can't read a clock face anymore). I don't know if a quarts movement is more susceptible to my death powers or not.
I'll give one example of my mojo. I was at a lunch meeting at a nice Chicago restaurant and they handed me the pager thingy and told us our wait would be approx 45 minutes. We were standing in the lobby area and the pager went off after only a couple minutes. I took it to the hostess who looked at it, looked at her computer with a puzzled expression and said "there must be something wrong with it, I'll give you another". She handed me a second one that went off before I could even go back cross the lobby to the other people with me. she looked kinda sideways at me this time and and asked if I had some kind of hack. I said no, and she studied my face and asked me if I was sure I didn't have some hi tech hacking thing? then looked at the pager and her computer. Then she said, "this is too creepy, we'll go ahead and seat you now."
So if anybody has any helpful wrist watch guidance I appreciate it. Looking to spend up to $250 usd if necessary. Should be classy and durable but not too tactical looking.
Thanks
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Calumus

• friend
Re: Wrist Watches? Anybody?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 10:08:50 AM »
https://www.jomashop.com

That's a good site to browse on. I've bought a few watches from them, and they're usually tough to beat price wise. As for the watch, around that price point I tend to like Victorinox. I've had a couple that have taken quite a beating, and were only replaced because I wanted something new. That being said though, I'm not an android, so I don't know how they'll deal with your electro magnetic issues... ;)   If you've had good luck with seiko, they carry them as well.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 10:13:23 AM »
I have a bunch of watches, and still wear a wristwatch every day. My daily wear is a satellite enabled G-Shock. Great tough watch but it's more than your price point.

There are a lot of possibilities out there.  Off the very top of my head, based on your post something like these might be up your ally.

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-kinetic-68/seiko-kinetic-beige-dial-100m-ska723-ska723p1-ska723p-mens-watch-8417.html

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-kinetic-68/seiko-kinetic-sports-ska747-ska747p1-ska747p-mens-watch-9463.html

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/citizen-eco-drive-53/citizen-eco-drive-chronograph-tachymeter-at2144-54e-mens-watch-11456.html

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/casio-g-shock-57/casio-g-shock-g-steel-analog-digital-world-time-gst-s110d-1a-gsts110d-1a-mens-watch-8296.html

https://www.longislandwatch.com/Seiko_SKX007K2_Watch_p/skx007k2.htm  <- Note: There is a difference between "Automatic" and "Kinetic" on Seikos.  Automatic uses a weight to wind a mechanism, no electronics, but more maintenance, Kinetic uses a weight to charge a battery that then runs an electronic movement.  Kinetic lasts a LOT longer on one "charge"

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 10:28:07 AM »
I bum around with an cheap Casio.   I have a couple of nice Bulova watches for being more formal.   Their quartz crystals vibrate 262,144 cycles per second while cheap watches us a frequency of 32,768hz.   Don't ask why but it makes them much more accurate.
If you want cheap watches that won't cause you much grief if they die or go missing then Casio or Timex is the way to go.  There are probably a few other cheapos that will do as well.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 10:34:31 AM »
I like the Seiko S5 line of watches. They come in several different colors if you are interested in other than basic black. It is an auto-winder. My only complaint is I don't wear a watch when not working so I have to reset it every Monday morning. It only take a few seconds though. It has a different face, the minute numbers are prominent on the outside of the dial.

https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNK805-Automatic-Stainless-Canvas/dp/B000LTAY1U/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1529937071&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=SEIKO+S5

bob

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »
I got a little into watches last year and learned a bit. At the sub-$1000 price range you'll be looking at the Japanese brands of Citizen, Seiko, Casio, and Orient. Citizen tends to be flashy, Seiko goes for boring, Casio just flat ugly, and Orient has a couple of tolerable looking models but their thing is mechanical movements if that's a problem for you. Citizen and Seiko both have well-respected solar powered movements that should last at least a decade without needing batteries as long as they have exposure to room level ambient light. They will run 3-6 months in a drawer though. If they run down just expose them to strong light for 24 hours or so and they'll recharge.

If looking at Swiss, then Swatch Group=Satan. They've seemingly got a thousand brands due to the collapse of the Swiss industry from the Quartz Crisis around 1980 but none have any real connection to the historic companies themselves. They have each brand slotted for a specific price point and gimp models that threaten their plan. Case in point is the Hamilton Intramatic. Nice looking watch with a good grade movement but because Swatch has determined that movement can only be used in models above the Intramatic's price they required that it not have a second hand. Crap like that instead of building the best you can is what's wrong with the Swiss industry. Oh and the Powermatic 80 movement is a real piece of work. Took a decent movement, slowed it down for the 80 hour reserve but took a hit on accuracy doing so, added plastic parts in important locations, and outsourced most of it to China while using legalese to call it Swiss. In fact, with anything less expensive than Tudor/Rolex you better know what you're looking at or you''ll get stuck with what amounts to a cheap Chinese watch with a storied name on it.

Oh yes, something else I learned by experience. Keep it simple. Complicated dials like Breitling's Navitimer or Citizen's Navihawk may look cool but are hell for reading comprehension because they're too busy. If low-light use is important you want a large indicator for 12 o'clock and the hands should be bold and easily told apart (see Rolex "Mercedes" hands or Tudor "diamond" hour hands on their Black Bay. And Day/Date complication is virtually useless unless you're saturation diving but does uglify a dial all the time.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 10:45:55 AM »
Count me as another fan of the Seiko 5 sports watches.  I have one of these khaki watches on my left wrist right now.  The black numbers and hands contrast nicely against the khaki dial for my aging eyes.  I also have a number of Casio G-shock digital and analog, but it is the Seiko that I wear most often.

https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Sport-Automatic-Watch-SNZG07/dp/B004V23YV0/ref=pd_sim_241_8?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004V23YV0&pd_rd_r=2c48cf92-7886-11e8-8a2a-83c3f18333a3&pd_rd_w=ox8qr&pd_rd_wg=pETue&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=7967298517161621930&pf_rd_r=6YNNQ5VXMNDGK0HRCN5D&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=6YNNQ5VXMNDGK0HRCN5D

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 10:54:59 AM »
I wear a watch whenever I go out.  I got a Humvee watch for about $20 seven or eight years ago because of the large black hands and large black numerals.

Got it from Big5 sporting goods store.  Keeps good time.  Changed battery twice in that time, for a total of three batteries, so it doesn't "eat batteries" like one watch I had.  Pain in the tuchas to get the back off and then back on again, though.  There's a witness mark on it to align everything, but you've got to be very accurate in that process.  Don't remember what the depth rating is on it, but it never gets wet anyhow.

All in all, very happy with it.  Finish is starting to wear off, though.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 11:01:03 AM »
Doing some browsing now on the suggested sites. Thanks!
I keep going back to the seiko 5 and the prices are within my range.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 11:14:46 AM »
I now have a smart watch and use it.
Garmin vivoactive with HR.
Actually replaces all my cycling computers, and records my activity for me to track progress via gps.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 11:23:05 AM »
My sweat's corrosive, and tears up your typical "base metal bezel" watch quickly.

I would either be going for a cheap Timex Expedition in a plastic case, replace as needed.  Or, Citizen or Seiko, in a stainless case and stainless band.

Something like this would be ideal.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 11:30:03 AM »
I wanted to go back to wearing a wristwatch, and I did, for a while. Then I lost my Timex.  =(  I finally got another Timex, but I've decided I'll only be a watch guy during the good part of the year (Oct-April). Hopefully, by next October, the dog won't want to chew on my watch anymore.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 11:36:54 AM »
It appears I could get 2 seiko watches within my price range. One casual/sport and one stainless and a little dressier like a sapphire kinetic. Thanks for the help!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 12:35:05 PM »
I have a few Seiko/Pulsar watches, at least one I've had for at least 25 years.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 01:06:20 PM »
Oh yes, something else I learned by experience. Keep it simple. Complicated dials like Breitling's Navitimer or Citizen's Navihawk may look cool but are hell for reading comprehension because they're too busy. If low-light use is important you want a large indicator for 12 o'clock and the hands should be bold and easily told apart (see Rolex "Mercedes" hands or Tudor "diamond" hour hands on their Black Bay. And Day/Date complication is virtually useless unless you're saturation diving but does uglify a dial all the time.

I have a couple Luminox watches I keep specifically for night watches underway.  Absolutely the best for being read in low-light, but still not killing your night vision.  They look a little "Tactical" though.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 01:10:12 PM »
Seiko has a couple of "regular looking" casual watches with titanium cases. Might look into those.

Amazon keeps a decent selection in their "ships from and sold by Amazon" line.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_in_-2_p_6_4?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A7141123011%2Cn%3A7147441011%2Cn%3A6358539011%2Cn%3A6358540011%2Cp_89%3ASeiko%2Cp_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER&bbn=6358540011&ie=UTF8&qid=1529946914&rnid=2661622011

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

JN01

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 04:43:41 PM »
I've had the same Timex for about 15 years, so I guess you could call it quality, though not fancy or prestigious.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2018, 05:56:49 PM »
RadioFreeSeaLab was my go to for watch advice around here.

I'm kind of a watch guy. I've got higher end (Tissot) down to a $20 Timex.  Wearing a $40 Casio now.  There are a lot of companies selling autowinding watches, like the Seiko kinetic.  I am a fan of the solar watches as well.  My advice, think of watches like firearms. While you can find some quality pieces at lower prices, you generally get what you pay for.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 09:05:35 AM »
Update. My wife went to the local Walmartians for a new watch battery and came home to tell me they are closing out their "fine jewelry" Dept and everything was clearance priced.
Bought a timex expedition for really cheap. I'll wear it for awhile and if I really like wearing a wrist watch I'll move back toward a good seiko.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 09:19:55 AM »
Lil bit of thread veer, but have you considered a decent pocket watch? Not one like you'll find at Sprawlmart, but a good old-fashioned antique. I've seen many at or below your price point that keep excellent time, and are all but bullet proof...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 09:39:07 AM »
My mom has the same issue of not being able to wear a watch...it’s weird

I wish I could wear a watch but doing what I do beats the *expletive deleted*it out of them and the bands trap chemicals. I wore one all my life up to this job then I had to stop. I have a nice Invicta that’s a dressier watch but I rarely wear it because when I do I find myself not using it

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 10:33:43 AM »
self referential., deleted

I think Dasmi is the APSer that would sometimes sell off watches.

Bought a timex expedition for really cheap.

This here is pretty close to the one I wear.

Don't be super surprised if the day of the month thing stops working.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2018, 10:36:25 AM »
Update. My wife went to the local Walmartians for a new watch battery and came home to tell me they are closing out their "fine jewelry" Dept and everything was clearance priced.

Walmart, and "fine jewelry dept."  Wow.

:rofl: :rofl:

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2018, 10:46:46 AM »
. . . I don't know if a quarts movement is more susceptible to my death powers or not.
QUARTS movement? I didn't realize anyone made a water clock you could wear on your wrist . . .

;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2018, 10:56:54 AM »
Bought a timex expedition for really cheap. I'll wear it for awhile and if I really like wearing a wrist watch I'll move back toward a good seiko.

I'm right with you on preferring an analog dial. Many years ago someone (I think a race car driver) explained that with analog dials, you don't actually have to "read" it. Your brain becomes accustomed to where the needle(s) point, so a quick glance is all you need and your brain can process what the dial position means after your eyes have returned to what they were doing -- such as driving. I've been wearing an inexpensive, counterfit GI-style wristwatch for years. Plain white numbers and white hands against a black dial -- what's not to like?

Let us know if the Timex can withstand your personal energy field. It's real -- I know a guy who cannot use a computer for the same reason. Any computer he sits down at ... dies.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design