Author Topic: Wrist Watches? Anybody?  (Read 4867 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Wrist Watches? Anybody?
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2018, 11:12:44 AM »
I'm right with you on preferring an analog dial. Many years ago someone (I think a race car driver) explained that with analog dials, you don't actually have to "read" it. Your brain becomes accustomed to where the needle(s) point, so a quick glance is all you need and your brain can process what the dial position means after your eyes have returned to what they were doing -- such as driving. I've been wearing an inexpensive, counterfit GI-style wristwatch for years. Plain white numbers and white hands against a black dial -- what's not to like?

Let us know if the Timex can withstand your personal energy field. It's real -- I know a guy who cannot use a computer for the same reason. Any computer he sits down at ... dies.

Interestingly, and I think we talked about it here some time ago (ha ha), a lot of younger people cannot process analog time. Something akin to not being able to read cursive.

I'm thankful for Analog time because once in a while I still like to wear the flight chronometer I used to wear at work, and at this point in time (ha ha again) I can barely read the super tiny digital stuff on it without reading glasses, so the analog hands come in handy (I'm cracking myself up) for a quick glance at the time.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2018, 11:46:19 AM »
Let us know if the Timex can withstand your personal energy field. It's real -- I know a guy who cannot use a computer for the same reason. Any computer he sits down at ... dies.

Spoon is the same way: watches, phones... anything electronic that's on her person for extended periods of time tends to die
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2018, 11:53:18 AM »
If it dies an untimely death on my wrist, I'm only out $15 (normal price was $43).
I haven't tested my watch killing energy for years, maybe it has diminished over the years. So far, still working.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2018, 12:26:20 PM »
I went through the same thing recently, and got a Weekender Chronograph. I got a Lab puppy at about the same time, so I can't wear it yet, unless I want it to be a chew toy. But, I've also given up on wearing a wrist-watch in the summer.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2018, 12:47:53 PM »
I went through the same thing recently, and got a Weekender Chronograph. I got a Lab puppy at about the same time, so I can't wear it yet, unless I want it to be a chew toy. But, I've also given up on wearing a wrist-watch in the summer.
To a lab puppy, everything is a chew toy!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2018, 03:25:23 PM »
I'm right with you on preferring an analog dial. Many years ago someone (I think a race car driver) explained that with analog dials, you don't actually have to "read" it. Your brain becomes accustomed to where the needle(s) point, so a quick glance is all you need and your brain can process what the dial position means after your eyes have returned to what they were doing -- such as driving. I've been wearing an inexpensive, counterfit GI-style wristwatch for years. Plain white numbers and white hands against a black dial -- what's not to like?

That's been my experience.

And we all go around thinking superstition is just silly superstition.

:D

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2018, 03:48:49 PM »
I got this Fitbit Knockoff for $20 on a lightning deal.

Even at $30, it's a good deal.

I've had it for 2 months now and it's done a great job of tracking steps, sleep, and heart rate. It's got a vibrating alarm and, as a sweat like a horse when I work or workout, it hasn't had a single issue with water.

I have to charge it about once a week. (I leave it in for an hour, but it may be done before that.)

Might be worth checking out- it's not a watch, so it may survive better?

And you can choose an analog display (as I did) in the settings.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2018, 06:56:40 PM »
I got this Fitbit Knockoff for $20 on a lightning deal.
And you can choose an analog display (as I did) in the settings.

Can you post a photo of what the analog display looks like?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2018, 10:09:38 PM »

Just a quick pic with a lot of glare. In bright sun, I'll note it's hard to read.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2018, 11:20:42 PM »

Just a quick pic with a lot of glare. In bright sun, I'll note it's hard to read.

Hands travel in a circle, hour markers are in a rectangle. That sucker is hard to read in any light. That doesn't fit well with the advantage to analog of being able to glance at the position of the needle(s) and then process what it means afterward. I guess your image is showing 10:02, but figuring that out requires looking at it and analyzing it.

Ungood.

And what's with the "24" at the 6:00 o'clock position? Is that the date, or is it a 24-hour clock with 12 at the top and 24 at the bottom?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2018, 11:23:59 PM »
Hands travel in a circle, hour markers are in a rectangle. That sucker is hard to read in any light. That doesn't fit well with the advantage to analog of being able to glance at the position of the needle(s) and then process what it means afterward. I guess your image is showing 10:02, but figuring that out requires looking at it and analyzing it.

Ungood.

And what's with the "24" at the 6:00 o'clock position? Is that the date, or is it a 24-hour clock with 12 at the top and 24 at the bottom?

You retired guys - today's the 24th of August.   :P

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2018, 12:45:44 AM »
Seiko SRP777 (the turtle)

If you want to spend a little more, a G-Shock G5600
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2018, 01:20:10 AM »
You may want to try a mechanical/automatic/self winding watch instead of an electric powered one. Keep it wound up and you never need a battery. There are cheap watch winders that you can buy that keep it wound up when you are not wearing it.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2018, 02:13:44 AM »

I bought a watch at Aldi that had no numbers, and no witness mark at 12.  But the hands are pretty easy to see.  It's amazing how quickly I got to where I could glance at that and decipher it to within a minute or two.  The dog broke the band on it a few months ago, and I haven't been willing to buy a new band that costs more than the whole watch did originally, so I've been going without.

I like the Timex Expeditions with the "Indiglo" light-up faces.  I should get another one if they still make 'em...
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2018, 09:06:21 AM »
You retired guys - today's the 24th of August.   :P

Really? I thought it was the 55th of July.  [ar15]

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2018, 11:23:57 AM »

I like the Timex Expeditions with the "Indiglo" light-up faces.  I should get another one if they still make 'em...

They do.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2018, 01:38:28 PM »

Ungood.

YMMV, but i found i adjusted to the rectangle quickly.

And, as fistful noted, that's the date.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2018, 06:11:20 AM »
My primary requirement on my last watch was bigassed white face, bigassed plain numerals, bigassed black hands to fulfill the "glance" parameter.  Found a Humvee like that at big5 for about $twenty bucks.  Gone through three batteries on it.  Fulfills the "glance" spec perfectly.  Finish is starting to wear off, though.

Mentioned this before.  Took a clock movement and mounted a paper hour hand on it just for grins.  Now, considering I'm retired and have virtually no schedule requirements, it works fine and like others noted, I got used to reading it just from the hour hand.  I've got an attachment picture of it somewhere on this site.

Found it.  Lousy lighting, but you get the idea:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:05:18 PM by 230RN »

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2018, 10:32:52 AM »
That's what I just bought for $15. Canvas strap

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2018, 07:03:43 PM »
You may want to try a mechanical/automatic/self winding watch instead of an electric powered one. Keep it wound up and you never need a battery. There are cheap watch winders that you can buy that keep it wound up when you are not wearing it.

Or  you could throw it in your case tumbler or rock polisher.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2018, 07:28:13 PM »
That's what I just bought for $15. Canvas strap

Where'd you find one for $15?  They normally go for about $35.  Are you sure it says "Timex" and not Tinex? ;)
"It's good, though..."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2018, 05:54:06 AM »
Where'd you find one for $15?  They normally go for about $35.  Are you sure it says "Timex" and not Tinex? ;)
First post. ^
I bought it at the local Walmart. My wife came home and told me they had all watches and jewelry marked down for clearance. Normal price was 42.99. The whole section under the sign that reads "fine jewelry" is being removed.