Author Topic: Dead Sailors Stopped A 'Planetary Catastrophe' Aboard A Secret Submarine  (Read 898 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://start.att.net/news/read/article/business_insider-dead_sailors_saved_a_submarine_fire_from_being_a_p-newscred2/category/news
Dead Sailors Stopped A 'Planetary Catastrophe' Aboard A Secret Submarine, A Top Russian Naval Officer Said At Their Funeral
I stumbled across this link yesterday.  Looks like the Russians saved the planet.  I guess their won't be a movie since it was classified.

A top Russian naval officer said the 14 Russian sailors who died in a fire aboard a secretive Russian submarine last week sacrificed themselves to prevent a "catastrophe" on a planetary scale, Bloomberg reported on Monday, citing Russian media reports.

"The Russians talk about these ships in this program doing bathymetric research and deep-ocean research, meaning they do stuff on the sea floor," Bryan Clark, a former US Navy officer and a submarine-warfare expert, told INSIDER. "If they are doing research on the sea floor with a military submarine, they are probably also able to interdict or disrupt undersea cabling or other undersea infrastructure, like pipelines."

He added that subs like this could also be used to install, remove, or disrupt seabed sonar arrays, either strengthening Russia's defenses or crippling someone else's undersea capabilities.
Interesting.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Sounds like their equivalent of the USS Parche, in terms of tapping or interdicting underwater communication cables.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
"The Russians talk about these ships in this program doing bathymetric research and deep-ocean research, meaning they do stuff on the sea floor," Bryan Clark, a former US Navy officer and a submarine-warfare expert, told INSIDER. "If they are doing research on the sea floor with a military submarine, they are probably also able to interdict or disrupt undersea cabling or other undersea infrastructure, like pipelines."

He added that subs like this could also be used to install, remove, or disrupt seabed sonar arrays, either strengthening Russia's defenses or crippling someone else's undersea capabilities.

I always figured if we could do it so could they. As a bonus for their side they really didn't care how many of their personnel died while learning to do things like that IMO.

bob

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
I'm starting to think that the words Russian and reactor should never be in the same sentence
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
Long ago and far away...

https://www.amazon.com/Blind-Mans-Bluff-Submarine-Espionage/dp/1610393589/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1HWB8I3IJY1RO&keywords=blind+mans+bluff+the+untold+story+of+american+submarine+espionage&qid=1562713999&s=gateway&sprefix=blind+mans%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-1

Anyone that tells you The Cold War "ended" is either lying to you or just plain ignorant.
Just because countries are spying on one another doesn't make it a cold war.  That is really just normal.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in

Anyone that tells you The Cold War "ended" is either lying to you or just plain ignorant.

The 1980s want their foreign policy back, Governor.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Just because countries are spying on one another doesn't make it a cold war.  That is really just normal.

Pretty much this.  Israel has spied on us ....we've spied on them.  England too.  S.O.P.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero