Author Topic: Obama to Landlords: "Rent to Criminals"  (Read 11354 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Obama to Landlords: "Rent to Criminals"
« on: April 05, 2016, 08:15:52 AM »
http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/262402/obama-not-renting-criminals-racist-daniel-greenfield#.VwMl6umnE7c.twitter

So, now, the Obama administration is taking the position that wanting law-abiding citizens as renters is racist.

What's that phrase? "The soft-bigotry of low expectations?"
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
Re: Obama to Landlords: "Rent to Criminals"
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 08:49:16 AM »
The unintended consequences of this one is going to be huge!
It will lead to abandoned mortgages, abandoned houses, plummeting property values, and rental prices going up significantly.
My ex-FIL sold off all of his rental properties that he owned for decades because the neighborhoods they were in became populated with criminals/illegal aliens crimigrants, ghetto trash from milwaukee and chicago- he was spending more time in court than he was cashing rent checks.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 09:24:42 AM »
What happens when more and more do as your ex-FIL did and there becomes a housing shortage?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 09:52:41 AM »
What happens when more and more do as your ex-FIL did and there becomes a housing shortage?

Mandated mortgages to indigent rapists who look like they could be BHO's son? 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 09:55:36 AM »

As is already happening, HUD pays off local governments  and building contractors to add in 'affordable housing' in new, and especially suburban commercial developments. I'm not sure if it is because the left is trying to outsource the poverty/crime problems they've created in the cities or if they believe in 'magic soil', or both.

Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 10:19:15 AM »
As is already happening, HUD pays off local governments  and building contractors to add in 'affordable housing' in new, and especially suburban commercial developments. I'm not sure if it is because the left is trying to outsource the poverty/crime problems they've created in the cities or if they believe in 'magic soil', or both.

It is the "do something" mentality.  Since forcing builders to build cheap housing, and forcing tax payers to pay for it, is cheaper than fixing what is broken, we get this result.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 11:52:57 AM »
It will lead to abandoned mortgages, abandoned houses, plummeting property values, and rental prices going up significantly.

What makes you think any of that is unintended?
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 12:04:01 PM »

Don't forget government getting a bunch of free houses by seizing properties when the tenants run meth labs or prostitution rings out of them.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 12:18:44 PM »
Don't forget government getting a bunch of free houses by seizing properties when the tenants run meth labs or prostitution rings out of them.

I understand that the government of detroit had a lot of abandoned properties on its books- that must have done wonders for their property tax revenues.

Barack Obama

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 12:51:19 PM »
Remember when the gov sued Dollar General for not hiring criminals?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-06-11/dollar-general-sued-over-use-of-criminal-checks-in-hiring

Not hiring criminals is racist!  Because black people are criminals, I guess.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 04:29:04 PM »

I'm actually a bit familiar with that racket. I know some former politicians that made some serious coin off it. Yes, most of them are Dem, but some are Repub.

Works like this. Yes, HUD will pay off 'building contractors' to make affordable housing. There's a bunch of check boxes that apply. So, you get a loan to refurb a decent condition warehouse, former mill, etc. Sometimes near the full cost of the property, actually. Usually closer to 60-70%. Turn it into apartments. Lease for X years at 'affordable housing' rates. Then raise the rates to normal pricing. The renters will all move out. Refurb the building again, lease to young adults, retirees, etc and make pretty good money.

It's legal and theoretically perfectly ethical. It does supply affordable housing (for X years), and I'm told it is cheaper/nicer than projects. Alternative is the slumlord approach and/or projects, which make no one happy.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 04:32:59 PM »
Time to go sue the crap out of communities/neighborhoods/associations that only rent or sell to 55 and older residents.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 12:18:26 AM »
I'm actually a bit familiar with that racket. I know some former politicians that made some serious coin off it. Yes, most of them are Dem, but some are Repub.

Works like this. Yes, HUD will pay off 'building contractors' to make affordable housing. There's a bunch of check boxes that apply. So, you get a loan to refurb a decent condition warehouse, former mill, etc. Sometimes near the full cost of the property, actually. Usually closer to 60-70%. Turn it into apartments. Lease for X years at 'affordable housing' rates. Then raise the rates to normal pricing. The renters will all move out. Refurb the building again, lease to young adults, retirees, etc and make pretty good money.

It's legal and theoretically perfectly ethical. It does supply affordable housing (for X years), and I'm told it is cheaper/nicer than projects. Alternative is the slumlord approach and/or projects, which make no one happy.

In a couple of suburbs local to me, the city governments tried to keep such developments secret and collect the payouts, the residents got wind of it and it nearly came to torches and pitchforks.

Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 02:01:09 AM »
What this country really needs are more torch and pitchfork filled nights.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 05:58:56 AM »

Keeping in mind from a social aspect, people who have affordable housing tend to commit crime less than those that don't.

I'm not trying to say that criminals shouldn't be punished, but the punishment should end some time, and it's a known fact that failure to re-integrate with society is a prime indicator for further criminals acts, and that gets expensive.

A job, housing, food, etc...  If a ex-con can get these, he's more likely to stay an ex-con rather than revert back to convict.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 07:34:25 AM »
Keeping in mind from a social aspect, people who have affordable housing tend to commit crime less than those that don't.

I'm not trying to say that criminals shouldn't be punished, but the punishment should end some time, and it's a known fact that failure to re-integrate with society is a prime indicator for further criminals acts, and that gets expensive.

A job, housing, food, etc...  If a ex-con can get these, he's more likely to stay an ex-con rather than revert back to convict.

Great, lets turn your block into a section 8 housing experiment. Leave mine alone.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 08:15:05 AM »
The Department of Housing and Urban Development is making it easier for people with criminal records to find housing.

In new guidance, released Monday, HUD tells landlords and home sellers that turning down tenants or buyers based on their criminal records may violate the Fair Housing Act.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/04/472878724/denying-housing-over-criminal-record-may-be-discrimination-feds-say?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160404
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 08:28:08 AM »

Depending on the crime(s) and the length of time being incarcerated, some ex-cons aren't able to be reintegrated.   
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 09:58:03 AM »
Great, lets turn your block into a section 8 housing experiment. Leave mine alone.

There are plenty of relatively empty areas that are ideal for such projects.  Mostly, they're forgotten behind some strip mall or whatnot, since roads were never built through them.

Heck, I'd never really thought about what's now posted for sale as 11.5 acres behind the Allsups on the main drag here, because there's never been access to it.  Always behind a business from the south and a school ball field from the north, with a drainage on the east and WalMart's big fence on the west.  Could put a lot of cheap apartments or duplexes in there, and give easy access to WalMart, Allsups, Walgreens, CVS and a nursing home.  Also just off a shuttle route to the college, or about a mile walk.  Pretty much ideal employment and education opportunities for the folks who live in low-cost housing but do actually try to improve themselves.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 10:43:55 AM »

You need to realize that a lot of the ones that don't "successfully reintegrate" don't want to do so. They are continuing to commit crimes and return to jail because that is the way of life they love.

I don't want those mother *expletive deleted*ers living in my neighborhood or working alongside me because the hug a thug *expletive deleted*tards think "Oh if we just force landlords to give them housing and companies to hire them under threat of being sued then everything will be hunky dory!"

I want these criminal shits with mile long violent crime rap sheets where they belong- in the bottom of a ditch with a .22 hole in the back of their heads. Problem solved, problem staying solved.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 10:46:58 AM »
You need to realize that a lot of the ones that don't "successfully reintegrate" don't want to do so. They are continuing to commit crimes and return to jail because that is the way of life they love.

I don't want those mother *expletive deleted*ers living in my neighborhood or working alongside me because the hug a thug *expletive deleted*tards think "Oh if we just force landlords to give them housing and companies to hire them under threat of being sued then everything will be hunky dory!"

I want these criminal shits with mile long violent crime rap sheets where they belong- in the bottom of a ditch with a .22 hole in the back of their heads. Problem solved, problem staying solved.

Unvarnished truth.

Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 11:20:13 AM »
Problem solved, problem staying solved.

You need your own action figure.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 12:01:16 PM »

The Certifiably Better Than US(1) sort that runs this country hates you, men and our sort.  Which is why they are planting Sec 8 housing, granting housing vouchers, and suchlike in the 'burbs while simultaneously bulldozing housing projects in places they'd like to gentrify.

We just need to understand that they hate us and want to rub our noses in it.

(1) It's true!  They have degrees in poli-sci or victim-studies from Brown, Yale, or Dartmouth.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 12:06:30 PM »

For those, and most thieves, I agree, but I've also known way too many who keep going back to jail for possession of weed, some who change jobs about every six months after losing one because they spent a week in jail on old traffic warrants, etc.  What we need is a system that deals effectively with real crimes, with alternate means of handling things like my former associate who racked up $4500 in assorted administrative violations because when his car got impounded (reg and inspection long out of date and parked on the street) and his license suspended, he started riding an unregistered scooter until they picked him up for that and he had to sit out the warrants.  Guy was making waitstaff wage and paying his way through a tech school, and just flat couldn't afford to keep a vehicle "legal," much less pay the tickets.  Three weeks in jail cost him the job and repeating a full semester.  Also caused his roommates some hassle since they covered him on rent for that and the next month until he could find another crappy job.  It would have benefited him, society (by getting him into a more productive profession six months sooner) and the county (by not taking up a bunk in their "overcrowded" jail) a lot more if they'd had some way to defer payment until he finished school, or put him on probation, or pretty much anything that wouldn't have forced him to miss work and class.

Plenty of real criminals walked out of that jail (early releases to alleviate the overcrowding) while he was sitting there.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2016, 12:09:56 PM »
For those, and most thieves, I agree, but I've also known way too many who keep going back to jail for possession of weed, some who change jobs about every six months after losing one because they spent a week in jail on old traffic warrants, etc.  What we need is a system that deals effectively with real crimes, with alternate means of handling things like my former associate who racked up $4500 in assorted administrative violations because when his car got impounded (reg and inspection long out of date and parked on the street) and his license suspended, he started riding an unregistered scooter until they picked him up for that and he had to sit out the warrants.  Guy was making waitstaff wage and paying his way through a tech school, and just flat couldn't afford to keep a vehicle "legal," much less pay the tickets.  Three weeks in jail cost him the job and repeating a full semester.  Also caused his roommates some hassle since they covered him on rent for that and the next month until he could find another crappy job.  It would have benefited him, society (by getting him into a more productive profession six months sooner) and the county (by not taking up a bunk in their "overcrowded" jail) a lot more if they'd had some way to defer payment until he finished school, or put him on probation, or pretty much anything that wouldn't have forced him to miss work and class.

Plenty of real criminals walked out of that jail (early releases to alleviate the overcrowding) while he was sitting there.

If that's the full story, in jail for failing to pay fines on administrative violations sounds a lot like debtor's prison to me.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought