Author Topic: At least one young man walks his talk  (Read 1093 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
At least one young man walks his talk
« on: March 02, 2019, 11:16:36 PM »
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Rather-than-wrestle-a-girl-in-the-state-13655399.php

High school wrestler gave up his chance of winning the state championship because he would have had to wrestle against a girl ... and that went against his religious beliefs. I say good for him.

As for the mother of one of the girls expressing her daughter's disappointment to Johnston's mother ... that's entirely inappropriate, IMHO.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
Re: At least one young man walks his talk
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 06:35:29 AM »
I was really expecting that to be a story about Trans wrestlers, but it's normal girls wrestling. I did not know that was a thing.

The whole thing read kinda like nothingburger to me: Rules of the sport let girls wrestle with boys. Boy does not like it, and doesn't wrestle girls over the course of two seasons. OK. Seems like all three athletes were pretty mature about the whole thing, actually.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 07:04:34 AM »
When I was younger all I wanted to do was wrestle girls. The problem was always finding girls that wanted to wrestle with me.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 08:14:34 AM »
Sticking by ones values seems to be considered something odd in this nation of cultural equivalence, moral relativism, and situational ethics.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 09:24:18 AM »
What is the religious objection? 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 10:35:15 AM »
I used to work with a Jewish guy who wouldn't touch women other than his wife at all. I specifically remember him mentioning this being awkward in his aikido classes. I understand he also didn't touch his wife for about one week per month.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 10:58:14 AM »
I was really expecting that to be a story about Trans wrestlers, but it's normal girls wrestling. I did not know that was a thing.

That's what I expected, too. To the extent that I had to stop midway through the article and reboot because it wasn't going in the direction I had expected.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 12:01:05 PM »
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Rather-than-wrestle-a-girl-in-the-state-13655399.php

High school wrestler gave up his chance of winning the state championship because he would have had to wrestle against a girl ... and that went against his religious beliefs. I say good for him.

As for the mother of one of the girls expressing her daughter's disappointment to Johnston's mother ... that's entirely inappropriate, IMHO.

If he was Muslim I doubt this would have even have made it to the news but the article doesn't say.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 02:42:56 PM »
He didn’t sound comfortable desensitizing himself to violence against women.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 03:58:41 PM »
Sounds like it isn't the first time either.  Just this time he had a state championship in his sights and made the same decision.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 05:04:42 PM »
What is the religious objection?  

One objection he stated was that he didn't want to be "physically aggressive" with a girl. I'm assuming his religion is Christian. I can't think of any Christian rule that specifically says you can't be aggressive in sports with girls, but he also said he had personal reasons not to do it.

As a Christian, I would see two problems with co-ed wrestling. First would be the close, physical contact between people (especially teenagers) of the opposite sex, that aren't married to each other. As a Christian, I would be teaching any teen boy I might someday have to keep his hands off girls, even if it's the spirit of friendly competition. Wait 'til you're married. The whole, if you like, put a ring on it thing. Second would be the current move toward de-emphasizing or denying differences between the sexes. The Bible isn't misogynistic, but it does treat the sexes as having different qualities, and different roles. Some Christians think it's our responsibility to remind the current culture that those differences are real. So there could be a Biblical reason to say no to integrated athletics.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 05:40:29 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 10:04:44 AM »
I know a man who used to teach high school wrestling.  His policy was that none of the wrestlers were allowed to wrestle a girl.  They had to forfeit.