Author Topic: Survival - Taco Sauce Edition  (Read 565 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Survival - Taco Sauce Edition
« on: March 03, 2019, 09:05:11 AM »
Hopefully he didn't share his taco sauce packets with his dog. I'm glad the guy got out okay, but come one - if you're going off-roading, even for just half a day, especially in the snow, at least bring a couple of energy bars if you won't put a proper survival kit in your ride.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-man-dog-survive-5-days-in-vehicle-stuck-in-snow-eating-taco-sauce
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Survival - Taco Sauce Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 09:37:06 AM »
He needed exactly zero food to survive five days. That said, I keep 2-3 mountain House meals, tea bags, sugar, coffee and a life boat food bar in my car. And maybe a few packs of honey I swiped from Jesus chicken.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 09:50:22 AM »
He needed exactly zero food to survive five days. That said, I keep 2-3 mountain House meals, tea bags, sugar, coffee and a life boat food bar in my car. And maybe a few packs of honey I swiped from Jesus chicken.

Well, yeah, there's "survive" and survive. He could have "survived" without food for a lot longer than five days, but the longer he goes, the less energy - or even desire -  he has to help himself. Even just a Coast  Guard ration bar (what I keep in my vehicles) a day (split with the dog of course) would have given him the energy to at least make survival more than his body telling him to sit and not move because there's no calories available.

Plus, while I know I can go for much longer than a day without food, ask me, and the other guys here who have done the colonoscopy fast, what the first thing we do is when we're done.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 10:42:45 AM »
ask me, and the other guys here who have done the colonoscopy fast, what the first thing we do is when we're done.  laugh

You mean after the farting?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 11:01:31 AM »
If I'm going on a bike ride anywhere there isn't cell service or a gas station I take at least 2 extra protein bars.
When I would off-road, I had a bag for the jeep that had a mini stove, beef bullion, instant coffee, water purification, an MRE for each person riding with me, and a box or two of granola bars.  Minimum.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 11:08:07 AM »
You mean after the farting?

Hey, pipe down. Do you want AOC to read that and expand her cow ban to APS?  =D

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 12:29:13 PM »
Oh I know food is more optimum than none, just can't stand the zomg headline MAN SURVIVES ON TACO SAUCE!!!!

I'd be more impressed if he was stranded and survived on taco Bell for five days. Wilderness rescue and colonoscopy prep!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.