Author Topic: 3D Printed "Steak"  (Read 1260 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
3D Printed "Steak"
« on: March 04, 2019, 09:17:15 AM »
If there's ever war between us and the SJW vegans, we'll win with one hand tied behind our back.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/03/04/this-is-the-future-libs-want-cont-guy-invents-3d-printed-vegan-steak-video/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: 3D Printed "Steak"
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 10:16:11 AM »
I would try it, just because I will pretty much try anything once in the reasonably-edible food arena.  In recent years, I have read several science fiction stories with 3-D printing of meat figuring in the story, so I fully expect this to happen in my lifetime.  On a somewhat related note, I read just the other day of a medical facility that is now able to 3D print human skin for burn grafts.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 10:20:35 AM »
I would try it, just because I will pretty much try anything once in the reasonably-edible food arena.  In recent years, I have read several science fiction stories with 3-D printing of meat figuring in the story, so I fully expect this to happen in my lifetime.  On a somewhat related note, I read just the other day of a medical facility that is now able to 3D print human skin for burn grafts.

The operative term is your post, differing from the link, is "meat".  =D

Also, that whole "steak" is like one bite for me. His clientele must be Lilliputians.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 10:40:43 AM »

A Chicken McNugget is 3D printed meat.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 11:04:51 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 11:06:17 AM »
A Chicken McNugget is 3D printed meat something.

FIFY
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 11:22:36 AM »
I wonder if it tastes any worse than Burger King's veggie burger.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 11:26:18 AM »
I don't mind veggie this veggie that.
What I do mind is them calling it "burger", "steak", hotdog, etc....
Call it something else.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 11:43:20 AM »
I don't mind veggie this veggie that.
What I do mind is them calling it "burger", "steak", hotdog, etc....
Call it something else.

Yeah, there's a lot of vegetable stuff that I like. I'll eat a good veggie sandwich any old day, but don't give it some catchy faux-meat name. When you try to trick people into eating something, the first thought usually is, "What's wrong with it? What are you trying to hide?"

Stop comparing it to meat and stop telling me it's better. It's not. It's different. I'm fine trying something different (though the thing in my link looks like a flattened cow pie, so probably not that).

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 06:43:59 PM »
I'm in as soon as they can 3D print these.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 06:50:18 PM »
I think the picture in the OP was blurry for a reason.  That's what I think.

"Stop comparing it to meat and stop telling me it's better. It's not. It's different."

I'm with you there.  Protein is protein and tofu ain't too bad, but don't call it a tofu burger.  It's grilled tofugoo.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 06:52:54 PM »
I think the picture in the OP was blurry for a reason.  That's what I think.

Maybe the guy with the camera had the dry heaves.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 06:56:41 PM »
Maybe the guy with the camera had the dry heaves.

Verrry good.   :rofl:

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 07:02:45 PM »
Bought some chili from Costco and turns out it's tofu chili. No where on the can doesn't it say meatless, no where, not even a freaking hint, unless you read the small print ingredients list.
If case you're wondering the brand name is Amy's. Yeah, I know now that Amy's stuff is meatless, I didn't know at the time. Say it on darn package!
- Calvin and Hobbes

JN01

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 07:05:01 PM »
Who’s ready for a little rice protein, pea protein and algae fiber squeezed out of a 3D printer into something that this guy claims resembles a steak?

Resembles a steak after it passes through your colon, maybe.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 07:37:27 PM »
Bought some chili from Costco and turns out it's tofu chili. No where on the can doesn't it say meatless, no where, not even a freaking hint, unless you read the small print ingredients list.
If case you're wondering the brand name is Amy's. Yeah, I know now that Amy's stuff is meatless, I didn't know at the time. Say it on darn package!

How was it? I make a meatless chili that’s pretty good. Lots of chili’s, onions and yes, I’m a yankee, black beans.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 07:44:55 PM »
How was it? I make a meatless chili that’s pretty good. Lots of chili’s, onions and yes, I’m a yankee, black beans.

It's edible and that's about the most I can say about it. Every once in awhile to not let it go to waste I open up a can and dump a bunch of cheese in it to make dip out of it. I just wish the package would have said something about it being meatless
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 07:46:31 PM »
I’m not a fan of tofu. Never eat it on purpose.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 08:19:14 PM »
And I just got done having dinner tonight: crispy fried tofu in my homemade General Tso sauce.  Excellent. Ever since I read that the secret to crispy tofu was to wrap it in a towel and put a one pound can on it for 30-60 minutes to squeeze out the excess water, it has been great.

WLJ

• friends
Re: 3D Printed "Steak"icans
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 08:25:05 PM »
I’m not a fan of tofu. Never eat it on purpose.

The Chinese know how to prepare tofu. Americans, not so much, they try to make burgers out of it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:37:26 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 08:31:27 PM »
And I just got done having dinner tonight: crispy fried tofu in my homemade General Tso sauce.  Excellent. Ever since I read that the secret to crispy tofu was to wrap it in a towel and put a one pound can on it for 30-60 minutes to squeeze out the excess water, it has been great.

My wife has a tofu press (same idea as your weight). Tofu, pressed dry, cubed and lightly breaded, and run through my air fryer comes out pretty dang crispy.  Coat with sauce if choice.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 09:08:18 PM »
Crispy tofu?

I know for a fact I’ve never had crispy tofu.

General Tso is a favorite. I don’t make my own but use Traders Joes.

Crispy in General Tso sounds maybe doable.

In the meanwhile I’ll stick with chicken :)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 10:04:17 PM »
General Tso sauce

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine (shaoxing wine) or dry sherry
2 tablespoons Chinese rice vinegar
3 tablespoons Dark Soy Sauce
3 tablespoons Chicken Stock
4 tablespoons Sugar
1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
1 tablespoon Corn starch
2 teaspoons Canola oil
2 teaspoons Garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Ginger, grated
2 teaspoons Scallion
8 pieces Chinese Chillies

PREPARATION

Combine soy sauce, wine, vinegar, chicken stock, sugar, sesame seed oil, and cornstarch in a small bowl and stir with a fork until cornstarch is dissolved and no lumps remain. Set aside.

Combine oil, garlic, ginger, minced scallions, and red chilies in a large skillet and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are aromatic and so, but not browned, about 3 minutes. Stir sauce mixture and add to skillet, making sure to scrape out and sugar or starch that has sunk to the bottom. Cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens, about 1 minute.

I generally double this recipe and keep it in a jar in the fridge.  I also leave out the dried red chilis and add them to the final recipe if needed. My wife does not like the chilis, so I leave them out if she is going to be eating the recipe, too.  The sauce is better if I use the actual shaoxing wine instead of a substitute.

I use this sauce with the crispy fried tofu, or popcorn chicken that I bake in the convection oven.  It is good for a quick fix of good Chinese food.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 09:11:50 AM »
Thanks!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 10:24:08 AM »
Late thought for the thread...

How the hell are you supposed to keep the 3D printer sanitary?  Seems to me if you don't clean it thoroughly frequently, it's going to start fermenting "something" in there.

Hm?

Terry, 230RN