Author Topic: Suburban with no extras on board?  (Read 5926 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Suburban with no extras on board?
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:59:41 PM »
Do any of you know how far back I would have to go to find a Chevy Suburban 4 x 4 with no extra crap on it.  Power steering and power brakes are all I want on it.  I can live with TBI, but would prefer straight carbureted.  3/4 ton would be a bonus if I can find one.  Set up with frame mounted tow bar is a must.  Did any come from the factory with the tow package?

I want to be able to haul horses and dogs with one vehicle so that I can haul the 5th wheel with my F 150.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Suburban with no extras on board?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:59:28 PM »
Mid-1980s maybe - I think fuel injection came out in 1987/1988 ?

I remember back 20 years ago we looked at I think it was a 1983 3/4 ton 4x4 4 speed Suburban - no carpet and no third seat.  Not too many miles either, but at the time I couldn't afford it and ended up buying a 2wd 4sp no power steering.  I still wish I could have bought that 4x4 because we probably would still be driving it.

Better yet would be 1980 or older, because I think 1981 was when they started with the aluminum chain drive transfer case.  I had a 1980 k-10 pickup for a while and it still had the old stump pulling cast iron box.

One thing about Suburbans is that they are usually way cheaper than used pickups, at least once you go back a few years.  An old Suburban is just an old car, but and old pickup is always useful for hauling stuff.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 02:10:35 PM »
Depends on the engine.  305s and 350s got injection back in the mid 80s (TBI).  I don't know when the 454 got it's first taste of electronic petrol management.

As for a bare-bones 'Burb, I'd keep an eye on utility company auctions.  They tend to order units with lots of useful stuff but little in the way of other amenities.  About ten years ago Dad got a Suburban from a phone company auction that is exactly what you wanted - 3/4 ton, 4x4, 350, A/C, auto tranny, manual transfer case, manual windows & locks, vynyl seats, and rubber floor mats.  It had a billion miles on it, the paint was pretty faded, and the interior had obviously been rode hard, but mechanically it was sound and decently maintained.  He still has it.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:48:36 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 02:27:58 PM »
I want to be able to haul horses and dogs with one vehicle so that I can haul the 5th wheel with my F 150.

Actually... what about just keeping the F-150 with the camper shell as your "Suburban", and getting a 3/4 or 1-ton pickup to pull the 5th wheel  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 03:17:50 PM »
Actually... what about just keeping the F-150 with the camper shell as your "Suburban", and getting a 3/4 or 1-ton pickup to pull the 5th wheel  ???

Camper shell with pass through (rubber seal) allows HVAC to get into the bed area, as a bonus. 

Pimp mac daddy of all camper shells

http://www.flippac.com/THE_FLIP_PAC/index.html

(I don't know if they're still in business).

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 09:08:01 PM »

I'm tired of the backseat being full of dogs.  When I had the carpeted camper pack and Bear was younger and Boone smaller that setup worked.  Now neither one of them can get through the sliding window into the back and I can't lift either Bear or Boone up into the bed of the truck.  They are too heavy and I am too old.

I've searched on Auto Trader and Craigslist and found only a handful so far.  Mostly high mileage with all the electric garbage I don't want to have to fix.  I did a nationwide search and came up with something like 29 possibilities. :facepalm:

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 09:36:15 PM »
When I was looking a few years back in DFW, I came across a 1977 3/4 ton 2WD Sub with a 454 & 4.10 rear end, 100K miles, terrific condition, as it was bought new by the seller and garaged al those years.  All rubber & vinyl inside.  AC, power steering, power brakes, auto tranny.  Bench seating 3 rows deep.  No more power anything.

I was about the pull the trigger when another auto fell into our laps for the cost in gas to drive it home (or so we thought at the time).

Every once in a while, I still wish I bought it.

Keep your eyes peeled, as work/fleet versions of the Sub are still sold.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 09:54:05 PM »
I can live with TBI, but would prefer straight carbureted

Chevy's TBI, managed by a simple computer, is actually pretty good. Now, when they switched to "real" fuel injection, I personally believe they didn't have it quite figured out yet for a couple of years but nowadays it isn't too bad. A newer computerized car isn't necessarily the headache it's made out to be, too (Dad's 99 Sub and my '99 Silverado are actually pretty straightforward and not too heavily encumbered with the electronic crap)
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 10:13:18 AM »
As far as getting the dogs in and out, the suburban bed is just as high as the tailgate of an F150. 
Get one of those loading ramps for motorcycles and then just cover it with carpet or grip-tape.
You're going to be digging long and hard to find a suburban that meets your criteria.  You might luck out and find a surplus sale, etc, but those are going to be rode hard put away wet.
Another option, albeit a pain in the ass, is to buy one that meets your budget, and rip out the carpet.  Rhinoline the floor.  Pick one with leather seats, they are easier to clean.  Don't overlook the Expeditions and Excursions, either.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 10:46:42 AM »
I had a 1984 4x4 Suburban with a 350.

Was carbureted but had all sorts of emission controls that I disabled one by one, all I had left was the cat. Even the tranny on it had electronics in it.

Great truck until I put two rods through the side of the block.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 11:46:18 AM »
I ordered a semi-bare bones 3/4 tone GMC Sub on the last day of 1984.  Two cloth benches, 4-speed manual, 350, wind-up windows, doors instead of tailgate, dual batteries, tow hitch, but not the full-up package, A/C, power door locks, and two-tone paint.  $13,778.  Funny how some numbers just stick with you.  Got totalled out on 10/10/87.  Funny how some dates just stick with you...

I spent a long time trying to find a replacement that had a manual transmission.  Manual was deleted from the product line when they changed over to the new body style in '92, fwiw.

hth...
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 12:02:43 PM »
I ordered a semi-bare bones 3/4 tone GMC Sub on the last day of 1984.  Two cloth benches, 4-speed manual, 350, wind-up windows, doors instead of tailgate, dual batteries, tow hitch, but not the full-up package, A/C, power door locks, and two-tone paint.  $13,778. 

In 1990 I actually looked at new ones just for a benchmark - a basic 4x4 3/4T was $16+K, and everything I wanted was standard equipment.  Good luck finding one like that on the lot, though  ;/ and besides I couldn't afford that at the time.   =(

Now I'm sorta mad that I traded off our 1977 2wd Sub.  It was a 4 speed bare bones not even power steering.  Two barrel carb and it got 18mpg :)   But it was hell to drive in town or any tight places, as the steering geometry is designed for power steering only  :mad:  It was heavy enough that it would go almost anywhere with just RWD.  I should have kept it for a spare  ;/

I really think an F-150 is a little light for towing a 27' fifth wheel...  =|

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 12:11:57 PM »

I really think an F-150 is a little light for towing a 27' fifth wheel...  =|

:O

Ya think?

GS:
Do us all a favor and upgrade to a 3/4 ton or 1 ton towing machine. 
IMHO, you will have an easier time finding a good, basic truck to tow the 5th wheel.  Get a shell for the F150 and be done with it.  Use a ramp for the doggies, carpet, passthrough for the rear window to share HVAC and keep them cool/warm. 
JD

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 02:26:11 PM »
He already has a nice shell on the pickup  =)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 09:33:15 PM »
I'm tired of the backseat being full of dogs.  When I had the carpeted camper pack and Bear was younger and Boone smaller that setup worked.  Now neither one of them can get through the sliding window into the back and I can't lift either Bear or Boone up into the bed of the truck.  They are too heavy and I am too old.

I've searched on Auto Trader and Craigslist and found only a handful so far.  Mostly high mileage with all the electric garbage I don't want to have to fix.  I did a nationwide search and came up with something like 29 possibilities. :facepalm:

You didn't read the part about already having a sliding rear window and the two big dogs not fitting through it anymore.  Boone can easily get into a Suburban, and the old guy Bear could be helped into the rear seat by way of the passenger door.

I have already checked on towing the 5th wheel and since my F 150 has the Triton V8 5.4 and is the Super cab with 4 x 4 suspension and the factory tow package all I need is the 5th wheel hitch with slide rails.  If one of you gents wants to come up with about $30,000 to upgrade the Ford, I will send you my address.

I own everything I have with no liens, no payments, free and clear, and it is going to stay that way.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 11:01:38 PM »
I own everything I have with no liens, no payments, free and clear, and it is going to stay that way.

isn't that unamerican?

just kidding i have a mortgage and likely will for a while  but thats it
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 01:14:56 AM »
IDK much about cars/trucks but I think this might be a fit
http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/2028224490.html

perhaps needs to much work though.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 11:10:04 AM »
If you can get by with a 2wd, you can probably find a bargain in either option.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 04:47:50 PM »
Well, it may take you awhile to find the Suburban as you'd like to find it.  Like I said, don't rule out an expedition or excurision.
JD

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 05:35:12 PM »
Well, it may take you awhile to find the Suburban as you'd like to find it.  Like I said, don't rule out an expedition or excurision.

But they haven't been making them as long, so they tend to be fancier.

How about a 1969 IH Travelall ?   =D

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 05:41:56 PM »

isn't that unamerican?

just kidding i have a mortgage and likely will for a while  but thats it

My mortgage (15 year) gets paid off in 2016.  I paid cash for the new car I bought last month.  Fortunately, I am at a stage of life where I can afford to do this. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 10:09:22 AM »
There's a [1996] 1 ton dually 454 ext cab chevy in the thrifty nickel this week for $4K...  =|
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 06:58:25 PM by Tallpine »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 07:00:34 PM »
Also, a 1990 Suburban for $2800 - basically just like ours.

Pretty fancy, but compared to the newer ones it's dead simple.

The only serious problem that we've ever had is the dang fuel pump.