Author Topic: Sheesh!  (Read 1295 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Sheesh!
« on: March 15, 2022, 10:32:52 PM »
This probably belongs in the World Has Gone Mad thread, but I'm giving it a place of its own.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-senate-approves-bill-that-would-make-daylight-savings-time-permanent-2023-2022-03-15/

The U.S. Senate has just voted to make daylight savings time permanent -- which will effectively just muck up world time zones by making Eastern time the same as Atlantic time. They're calling it the "Sunshine Protection Act," is if an act of Congress will create more sunshine.

I think it's idiotic. It's DARK when I get up to go to work, and this will ensure that it will be dark when I get up for work for a much longer portion of the year. I have never understood why we do daylight "savings" time anyway.

Maybe we should just eliminate time zones entirely. Let's go back to sundials and let every municipality decide its own time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Sheesh!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 10:59:47 PM »
While I no longer care as much, I always appreciated the extra daylight at the end of my day when I was working for someone else. I couldn't care less if it was dark when I drove to work, it's not like I would enjoy the drive better if I could actually see the faces of the other soulless commuters I was stuck in traffic with.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 11:10:27 PM »
How about we just pick a spot about 30 minutes between the extremes, and call it good?
Blog under construction

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 11:14:40 PM »
Time and time management is such a mess.  We're trying to shoehorn celestial events into nicely divisible numbers, and they just... don't.  So we end up with all these wacky rules trying to make our nice whole number math fit more and more decimal points of what the universe actually does.  Every four years, add a day to February.  Except every hundred years, skip it.  But every four hundred years, don't skip it...

With respect to daylight savings time, the whole "change the clocks twice a year" thing has created a tremendous amount of work effort in a world that increasingly depends on data which has timestamps on everything.

I applaud getting rid of it.  Or making it permanent.  Or whatever.  Just stop changing the clocks.

You could probably even talk me into just using UTC instead of timezones, but I don't think the public would ever go for it.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 11:58:29 PM »
So, how many of you have worked a graveyard shift on a time change night?

I have...
Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 12:02:00 AM »

I have...

[RocketMan raises hand]
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 01:40:51 AM »

I have...

Fall Back: 1 hour of overtime, +1 hour of Sunday differential, +1 hour of night differential

Spring ahead: Hey we are only working 11 hours, let's go to breakfast and get a beer.

I really didn't mind either one.

bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 01:59:07 AM »
As long as we quit switching back and forth.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 08:02:57 AM »
How about we just pick a spot about 30 minutes between the extremes, and call it good?

There are a few places around the world XX:30 minutes off and IIRC a few offset XX:15 minutes
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 08:19:16 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 08:05:34 AM »
I would be a fan of all year standard time, since that mostly matches my diurnal activity. I like to be up early doing stuff, and I like to be nested inside in the evening. All year DST here would mean that the sun wouldn't come up until almost 0930 in December. that's like half my day in the dark.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 08:08:14 AM »
Trump was talking about it so it must be a Putin plot to weaken us.
So not only are they sapping and impurifing our precious bodily fluids they're trying steal our time as well.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2022, 08:26:02 AM »
I give not a single *expletive deleted*it which time they pick...

JUST STOP CHANGING TIME TWICE A YEAR!

The winter time change isn't too bad, but spring? I feel confused and out of sorts for a couple of days.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2022, 10:49:18 AM »
We had year round DST for a while in the '70s, ostensibly to save energy. A lot of people complained about it, energy savings were dubious, and after a year or so it was abolished.

There was also year round DST during most of WW2 - it was called "War Time" - but I don't remember it because I wasn't here yet. It must not have been that big a deal because of all the war stories my elders told about things both overseas and on the home front, I don't remember anyone even mentioning DST.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2022, 11:20:36 AM »
"We had year round DST for a while in the '70s, ostensibly to save energy. "

Well, that was originally the plan, but it didn't end up that way.

It was passed in 1973, went into effect in 1974, and was supposed to last for 2 years. People were all for it when it was passed, by when it went into effect? People HATED it. It was repealed on October 27.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2022/03/15/the-us-tried-permanent-daylight-saving-time-in-the-70s-people-hated-it/#:~:text=The%20sun%20rose%20at%208%3A27%20AM%20on%20January,year-round%20daylight%20saving%20time%20beginning%20on%20January%206.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2022, 04:02:25 PM »

I have...

Four a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Monday, then back at midnight Monday night to work 12 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. the rest of the week.  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2022, 07:30:50 PM »

I have...

Right out of college, doing temp jobs until I could figure out how to get my career started.

Sucked ass.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2022, 07:55:14 PM »

I have...

Would have been 1982. My boat (USS Haddo SSN-604) had just gotten to Mare Island Naval Shipyard to begin an overhaul period. It was our first weekend at MINSY.
I had the duty Saturday night. The ENTIRE *expletive deleted*ing Sunday duty section was an hour late. Not just some of them or most of them, every swinging dick in the oncoming duty section was an hour late, from the Duty Officer to the lowest nub. It had been in the POD Thursday and Friday, it had been announced ship wide multiple times the preceding week.
Bogles the mind. :facepalm:

Not a DST issue but a Dateline  thing- 1985 the boat flew me from Manila to Pearl Harbor with a 12 hour layover in Tokyo. Sadly in order to make sure I got to Pearl on time the only flight from Tokyo to Pearl had to be 1st class. I flew out of Manila on a Saturday morning and Checked into Pearl Harbor on a Saturday afternoon. The braindead little fluff of a disbursing clerk tried to deny me a days per diem because I had spent less than 6 hours travelling. I was politely trying to explain her error and she got nasty about it and started yelling at me saying I was calling her stupid ( I doubt she could read my mind but I never actually even implied that she was a moron) about then the crusty old Master Chief Yeoman got involved, the way he corrected the young lady was a sight to behold, a true piece of verbal artwork. Not a curse word was spoken and his voice was never raised above conversational levels but in about three sentences she was apologizing to me, the Master Chief and Neptune for her egregious lack of knowledge of geography.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2022, 08:07:38 PM »
Me. back in 80s.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2022, 11:04:04 AM »
While I like this article because of my own "standard time rules!" bias, it makes some good points from the human physiology side:

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-neurologist-explains-why-daylight-saving-time-is-terrible-for-our-health
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2022, 08:04:34 AM »
Map of what all year savings time looks like.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2022, 08:11:03 AM »

I have...

Amateur. When you take a warship across the Atlantic you have to gain up 6-7 hours depending on where you are going. A real pro works nights on the way over when the clocks advance an hour at night and works days on the way home from hen they retard. Of course a night crew guy like me has to switch to daylight hours every port call. It’s hard work pulling a thirty hour shift and then going drinking but I’m no quitter.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2022, 01:24:51 PM »
US Navy, 30 min before finishing your 12 hr watch, you start "Sea and Anchor Duty" on the way into Norfolk Naval base, an 8 - 10 hour watch on our ship, then, a short rest before your next scheduled watch.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2022, 02:17:21 PM »
US Navy, 30 min before finishing your 12 hr watch, you start "Sea and Anchor Duty" on the way into Norfolk Naval base, an 8 - 10 hour watch on our ship, then, a short rest before your next scheduled watch.

Made many a trip in and out of Norfolk. We would station the piloting party (enhanced navigation team) about 10 miles out from Chesapeake Light and station the maneuvering watch (analogous to sea and anchor duty) as we crossed abeam Chesapeake Light. I was part of the piloting party and in good weather it was a 5-ish hour run from "station the piloting party" to "shift colors" (tied to the pier).

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2022, 04:24:35 AM »
Made many a trip in and out of Norfolk. We would station the piloting party (enhanced navigation team) about 10 miles out from Chesapeake Light and station the maneuvering watch (analogous to sea and anchor duty) as we crossed abeam Chesapeake Light. I was part of the piloting party and in good weather it was a 5-ish hour run from "station the piloting party" to "shift colors" (tied to the pier).

Maybe it was only 5ish hours but I had 8 stuck in my old, leaky head. I just remember it was a LONG ass watch! Can't trust carp I "remember" these days...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2022, 07:42:38 AM »
There are a few places around the world XX:30 minutes off and IIRC a few offset XX:15 minutes

I believe Chile tried the 30 minute offset several years ago, and it only lasted a [very] few years.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design