Author Topic: U.S. Military Dress Code To Change  (Read 8278 times)

Waitone

• friend
U.S. Military Dress Code To Change
« on: January 22, 2014, 10:16:19 PM »
to become more SikhMuslimWiccanBuddhist friendly.  No word on whether Christians will be granted a carve-out

http://theulstermanreport.com/2014/01/22/breaking-u-s-military-dress-code-to-now-allow-muslim-friendly-beards-and-turbans/
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Bigjake

• friend
Re: U.S. Military Dress Code To Change
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 10:48:58 PM »
If that's all it takes, there are going to be 4 Sikhs on that list next time I drill....   ZZ Top beard finally within regs!!

Catchall religious no shave chit for the win, bitches!  >:D

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 10:53:04 PM »
Convert to Norse Paganism. Grow beard and glue horns to your helmet.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 11:37:10 PM »
Other than face fitted gas masks, what is the problem with beards in the military?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 11:59:59 PM »
Rest assured that if you're not a terp or a doctor, these rules will not apply.

There's no way the establishment goes along with this unless they're forced to on a case by case basis. White guy claiming to be a muslim? Forget about it.

Remember, this is the military who recently made the decision to start forcing soldiers to be clean shaven OFF duty.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 05:02:11 AM »
Other than face fitted gas masks, what is the problem with beards in the military?

Shipboard fire fighting, same issue, people with beards become casualties in short order. And jealousy, everyone secretly wants to be that one white guy they know that got a no shave chit for pseudofolliculitis.

Me, I'd rather keep things...oh what's that word.... Uniform! Yeah, what an idea.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 06:15:11 AM »
Let me translate to civilian for you guys:

Quote from: from link
Department of Defense instructions that said the military will make every effort to accommodate “individual expressions of sincerely held beliefs” of service members. The memo said unless the items have an adverse impact on readiness, order or discipline, commanders will be allowed to grant special permission for personnel to wear religious article while in uniform.

Means:

It's theoretically possible so you can take your lawsuit and shove it, but your commander will not authorize it.  Suck it the *expletive deleted*ck up.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 06:26:48 AM »

Beards are a way to express individuality.  We can't have that!

Seriously, the argument I've been given, aside from the gas mask seal, was 'uniformity'.  It's easier to make everybody look the same if everyone is clean shaven.

As for the gas mask seal, there's some wax stuff you can put on beards and end up with an even better seal than straight skin.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 08:20:48 AM »
Navy still allowed beards when I was in. First kid was born at an Air Force Hospital (Travis). I had some interesting conversations about having a beard while there.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 08:45:09 AM »
If some personnel are granted exemptions that others aren't - whatever the reason - I would anticipate adverse effects on morale.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 11:08:47 AM »
Beards are a way to express individuality.  We can't have that!

Seriously, the argument I've been given, aside from the gas mask seal, was 'uniformity'.  It's easier to make everybody look the same if everyone is clean shaven.

As for the gas mask seal, there's some wax stuff you can put on beards and end up with an even better seal than straight skin.

Yeah, I want yet one more thing to fiddle with while trying to put on the mask before getting hit with nerve agent.

If some personnel are granted exemptions that others aren't - whatever the reason - I would anticipate adverse effects on morale.

Yep, all or none have the option.  Beards sure didn't keep WT Sherman from being effective.

For my part, I would have no problem with beards (trimmed & neat) in garrison.  But them damned whiskers get knocked off for deployment.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 11:51:57 AM »
Gas didn't come into play until WWI, so beards were NBD.  But I'm with Roo_ster.  I'm not waxing my beard while trying to put on a Pro-mask.

Same with short hair, because of Lice.

Plus you do want everyone to look uniform, things that stand out get shot at.  That why Aircraft Carriers are called bomb magnets.  

I wouldn't be a fan of beards in Garrison.  SSG and above maybe, but a bunch of 18-20 year old E1-4's with patchy, fuzzy teanage "beards"? 

Ummmm, no.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 12:54:46 PM »
Gas didn't come into play until WWI, so beards were NBD.  But I'm with Roo_ster.  I'm not waxing my beard while trying to put on a Pro-mask.

Silly, you wax your beard when you go to MOPP 2, not when they call for MOPP 4.

I don't think it's a true wax/grease, and apparently pretty easy to remove.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 01:35:46 PM »
I wouldn't be a fan of beards in Garrison.  SSG and above maybe, but a bunch of 18-20 year old E1-4's with patchy, fuzzy teanage "beards"? 

I read somewhere recently that the British Navy only allows it if the sailor can grow a full beard.  I'd be screwed; I'm 37 and I have a bald patch on my right cheek that I doubt will ever fill in.

Other than that, I agree with a minimum rank requirement.  Heck, throw in a PT requirement too (say >270/90%), give the >E6s/>O4s a reason to run their asses off.  >:D
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 03:13:03 PM »
I read somewhere recently that the British Navy only allows it if the sailor can grow a full beard.  I'd be screwed; I'm 37 and I have a bald patch on my right cheek that I doubt will ever fill in.

Other than that, I agree with a minimum rank requirement.  Heck, throw in a PT requirement too (say >270/90%), give the >E6s/>O4s a reason to run their asses off.  >:D
I read the same thing, and IIRC, it was "Sailors are allowed to have full beards if they can grow a "respectable" beard within 2 weeks".
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 03:27:07 PM »
I read the same thing, and IIRC, it was "Sailors are allowed to have full beards if they can grow a "respectable" beard within 2 weeks".

That's it, thanks. :)
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 09:40:41 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out why Wiccans are mentioned in this.

There ARE no "religiously significant" appearance issues for Wiccans. Why are they even mentioned?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 09:43:29 PM »
Media sensationalism combined with some officers attempt to cover his bases
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 10:26:21 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out why Wiccans are mentioned in this.

There ARE no "religiously significant" appearance issues for Wiccans. Why are they even mentioned?

Apparently you weren't paying attention during the 6 hour diversity training seminar that consisted of nothing but powerpoint slides and role-playing games.

You will have to repeat that class and attend the special 32 hour sensitivty training as you hurt the diversity trainer's feelings but not learning in her class.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 10:27:47 AM »
I thought Wiccans fought naked  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 11:29:09 AM »
Scout: when I was in, it was usually difficult to get the chaplain to understand that my being wiccan was not an excuse for him to try and convert me

Tallpine: that would be the Celts, sir. And they weren't nekkid: they wore blue paint
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 11:41:38 AM »
Scout: when I was in, it was usually difficult to get the chaplain to understand that my being wiccan was not an excuse for him to try and convert me

Catholic, Protestant, or Jewish chaplain?

I would have had fun with him, whatever persuasion.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 11:47:49 AM »
If the IDF can figure this out (and they have a whole battalion of Orthodox Jews with beards) I don't see why this should be a problem. Besides, Sikhs serve just fine in British and Indian armies.

Also, these guys. Beard is part of the uniform.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 11:58:01 AM »
You know they're wearing dresses and carrying fire axes, right?  If not for the beards, they'd be made fun of!

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2014, 12:09:19 PM »
You know they're wearing dresses and carrying fire axes, right?  If not for the beards, they'd be made fun of!
Making fun of a man carrying an axe seems ill advised. Also, I am puzzled as to where you see dresses. I see pants and aprons.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein