Author Topic: Uber Bans Guns  (Read 6554 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Uber Bans Guns
« on: June 20, 2015, 09:38:40 AM »
Uber has banned guns for both drivers and passengers. Previously, they followed local laws. An Uber driver recently saved lives with his CCW.

I'm curious regarding the legality of this. If they were a regular taxi company supplying the vehicles, I wouldn't see any legal issues. They're really more of a "clearinghouse" though. It will be interesting to see if there are any legal challenges.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/06/20/uber-banning-riders-drivers-from-carrying-guns/?intcmp=latestnews
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Uber Bans Guns
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 09:46:24 AM »
There won't be legal challenges, the rule will just be ignored.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 09:49:39 AM »

"Concealed means concealed" would be my first thought as well. I doubt I would ever use Uber, but if i did, and had to use my gun while doing so, what do I care if after that they 'prohibit me from using the app"?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 09:51:12 AM »

Most likely.  I would, as driver or rider.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 12:38:08 PM »
It is a silly rule for a number of reasons.  The fact that is will not be followed is the least of it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 01:41:23 PM »
What is "Uber" ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 02:11:12 PM »
What is "Uber" ???

The opposite of "Ober".

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 02:14:01 PM »
Weeks ago, an Ãœber driver was armed and stopped a mass shooting.  This new rule is obviously a reaction to that; someone hasn't thought this thru...  Stopping a shooting spree before the maniac killed a bunch of people is a bad thing?

Or else they really have thought about it and their ideological purity is more important than the lives saved (because it was someone else's lives, not theirs) and they truly are evil.

Evil or stupid, take your pick.
"It's good, though..."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »
I vote it's actually for lawyer proofing.  Now they can say they banned possession of guns for drivers and passengers and that they're not liable for people violating that policy.  That's pretty much why any business bans weapons. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 02:52:28 PM »
What is "Uber" ???

An amateur, part-time taxi/ride-sharing service, managed via mobile phones and such.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 02:58:11 PM »
I vote it's actually for lawyer proofing.  Now they can say they banned possession of guns for drivers and passengers and that they're not liable for people violating that policy.  That's pretty much why any business bans weapons. 

Bingo. They want to deflect legal liability or media exposure/criticism.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 03:11:40 PM »
This is what is done in the risk management biz.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 03:49:16 PM »
This is what is done in the risk management biz.

So it is evil then?
"It's good, though..."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 03:57:09 PM »
So it is evil then?

Almost as evil as Human Resources.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 04:55:14 PM »
So it is evil then?

yep, and what jamis said
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 05:29:06 PM »
An amateur, part-time taxi/ride-sharing service, managed via mobile phones and such.

So it means about as much as AT&T or Verizon banning the carry of guns while using their cellphones ?   :facepalm:   :P 
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 06:28:54 PM »
So it means about as much as AT&T or Verizon banning the carry of guns while using their cellphones ?   :facepalm:   :P 

Much less.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 07:25:50 PM »
That it is unenforceable and done to appease lawyers is beside the point in my book.

I choose not to support companies who publicly reject me, whatever their reasons. If they say they don't want me giving them money, I respect their wishes rather than giggling as I try to sneak them cash.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 09:41:44 PM »
Almost as evil as Human Resources.

Even risk management and legal bow to the Acme of Evil that is Human Resources.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 12:08:02 AM »
So it is evil then?

Risk Management is about identifying risks and determine options to mitigate those risks. Legal can and does weigh in, but ultimately the executives make the decisions. Feel free to blame HR, risk management or legal, but ultimately the executives have to make the call on anything that's not obviously illegal.

I would likely make the same call. Make it against the rules for drivers to avoid the legal minefield. I absolutely would not say anything about the customers other than "Users must follow all local, state and federal laws."
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 01:32:07 PM »
Risk Management is about identifying risks and determine options to mitigate those risks. Legal can and does weigh in, but ultimately the executives make the decisions. Feel free to blame HR, risk management or legal, but ultimately the executives have to make the call on anything that's not obviously illegal.

I would likely make the same call. Make it against the rules for drivers to avoid the legal minefield. I absolutely would not say anything about the customers other than "Users must follow all local, state and federal laws."

Except they did, and it's no Bueno for customers either. 

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 08:05:24 PM »
Except they did, and it's no Bueno for customers either. 

Technically speaking, given that all the drivers are supposed to be contractors, they're customers of Uber as well.

I'd use the gun ban as yet another 'piece of evidence' in court to show that Uber drivers are actually employees, and thus need to be paid hourly and given benefits.  ;)

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 08:41:46 PM »
I'd use the gun ban as yet another 'piece of evidence' in court to show that Uber drivers are actually employees, and thus need to be paid hourly and given benefits.  ;)
Just so you could kill Uber for the gun thing?  Or for some ill considered social justice reason?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 08:53:18 PM »
Just so you could kill Uber for the gun thing?  Or for some ill considered social justice reason?

Kill them for the gun thing.  I just know that California recently judged a driver to Uber to be an employee and not a contractor(for various reasons), and I disagree with that assessment.  However, the more control you exercise over your independent contractors, the more employee-like they are, and banning guns in Uber's contractor's vehicles is very much a step of control.

I also support holding any company that bans carrying of legal firearms for self defense responsible for the safety of their customers and employees. 

IE ban people from carrying and one's hurt by a gunman that illegally carried a firearm in?  The gunman isn't the one 'solely' fiscally responsible for the person's injuries.  The company is on the hook as well.  I bet in that case the signs would come down quick.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 08:05:53 AM »
Isn't the act of banning guns assuming or acknowledging some responsibility for driver and passenger safety?

It seems they would have been better off saying their policy is that everyone should follow local, state and federal laws, like Rev said.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.