Author Topic: U.S.S. The Deplorables  (Read 2039 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
U.S.S. The Deplorables
« on: December 13, 2016, 06:25:34 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: U.S.S. The Deplorables
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 06:42:59 PM »
Given that the Navy would never name a ship that, it would be funny to see the petition reach the "response" number.

On the not so funny front, Mabus apparently has no idea what a hero is.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 06:50:59 PM »
On the not so funny front, Mabus apparently has no idea what a hero is.

Context?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 07:18:45 PM »
Context?

Read the last half of the article.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 08:00:31 PM »
"I have named ships after presidents. I have named ships after members of Congress who have been forceful advocates for the Navy and Marine Corps," Mabus said. "But I think you have to represent all the values that we hold as Americans, that we hold as a country. And so that's why I've named ships the Medgar Evers, Cesar Chavez, John Lewis, the Harvey Milk. Because these are American heroes too, just in a different arena."

I think he's got "hero" mixed up with "well-known."

How about the USS Lady Gaga?

Or USS Kardashian?

Or, or, better yet...

"For his unfailing dedication and heroism in preserving the Second Amendment in its original text and meaning, even to the present day, I christen thee the USS Terry 230RN"  <smashes box of cheap wine on the bow>

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:01:20 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 08:32:41 PM »
I'm half surprised there is no USS Tupac Shakur.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 09:18:02 PM »

I think he's got "hero" mixed up with "well-known notorious."   Fixed it fer yah. :angel:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 09:47:51 PM »
Thanks to the Brits simply throwing out the results of a ballot they didn't like, I hear "Boaty McBoatface" is still available . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 10:42:01 PM »
Context?

Look at the caption of the photo. New littoral combat ship named after Gabby Giffords. Okay, it's very sad that she was shot, but I'm not of the opinion that that's enough to get a U.S. Navy ship named after her. There are plenty of Medal of Honor, Silver Star, Bronze Star, and whatever the Navy and USMC equivalents are who haven't had ships named after them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 11:51:22 PM »
Look at the caption of the photo. New littoral combat ship named after Gabby Giffords. Okay, it's very sad that she was shot, but I'm not of the opinion that that's enough to get a U.S. Navy ship named after her. There are plenty of Medal of Honor, Silver Star, Bronze Star, and whatever the Navy and USMC equivalents are who haven't had ships named after them.

There seems to be a misconception that being a victim, or enduring hardship, makes one a hero. But whatever a hero is, it isn't just someone who's been shot. Getting shot doesn't earn you the above military decorations, because being shot only tells us what happened to you; it doesn't tell us how you responded. Giffords' conduct after being horribly injured is in some ways admirable, but politics aside, there's nothing of the heroic about it. I suppose some might think she's heroic for her advocacy of various political causes, but that is mere partisanship. Being attacked, and then recovering and going back to her job doesn't make her a hero, any more than it made Reagan a hero. Getting back to work is what most of us would have to do, just to make a living.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 09:26:31 AM »
USS Trayvon
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 11:54:03 AM »
USS Hillary Clinton

>:D >:D >:D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 02:57:33 PM »

There seems to be a misconception that being a victim, or enduring hardship, makes one a hero. But whatever a hero is, it isn't just someone who's been shot. Getting shot doesn't earn you the above military decorations, because being shot only tells us what happened to you; it doesn't tell us how you responded. Giffords' conduct after being horribly injured is in some ways admirable, but politics aside, there's nothing of the heroic about it. I suppose some might think she's heroic for her advocacy of various political causes, but that is mere partisanship. Being attacked, and then recovering and going back to her job doesn't make her a hero, any more than it made Reagan a hero. Getting back to work is what most of us would have to do, just to make a living.
Yes, hero is thrown around by some people quite a bit for stuff that has nothing to do with actual heroism. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge