Main Forums > Politics

Napolitano strikes back at Arpaio

(1/5) > >>

AZRedhawk44:
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/10/arizona-sheriff-joe-arpaio-says-he-will-continue-his-controversial-crime-suppression-operations-despite-a-department-of-homel.html

These two have been at odds since as long as the immigration issue has been prominent.

Joe usually had the upper hand being a sheriff, and Napolitano played state budget games to hurt him.

I knew she'd go over his head sooner or later as DHS head.  This will make her unpopular in AZ and hurt her attempt to take McCain's seat, but it sends the wrong message to those south of our border (those that are left south of our border at least... 25% or more of Mexico is already here in the US).

--- Quote ---Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio says he will continue his controversial "crime suppression operations" despite a Department of Homeland Security decision to strip him of authority to arrest suspected illegal immigrants based solely on their immigration status, the East Valley Tribune reports.

“It’s all politics,” says Arpaio, sheriff of Maricopa County.

Arpaio will still have the power to check the immigration status of people booked by his officers, but not the authority to conduct street patrols looking for illegal immigrants.

His “crime suppression operations” are saturation patrols in designated areas where deputies would find illegal immigrants by stopping them for traffic infractions and minor violations, the paper says.

The department of Justice and other federal agencies are investigating the sheriff’s office on accusations of racial profiling during the operations, the paper says.

Arpaio said he will be able to still conduct the crime sweeps under state human smuggling laws and an obscure federal law that allows local police to arrest illegal immigrants.

A spokesman for the Phoenix office of ICE declined to comment until after pending agreements with the country are signed.
--- End quote ---

Standing Wolf:
I'm with Joe.

taurusowner:
What's the point of having a Federal agency with a name similar to the Soviet KGB if they don't even do anything to secure the borders?

Strings:
The money shot (for me, anyway):

>The department of Justice and other federal agencies are investigating the sheriff’s office on accusations of racial profiling during the operations, the paper says.<

Ummm... maybe I'm just a dumb biker. But wouldn't you almost HAVE to use "racial profiling" when searching for illegal Mexicans?

Be kinda silly to be targeting folks who look asian for that one, wouldn't it?

Standing Wolf:

--- Quote ---Be kinda silly to be targeting folks who look asian for that one, wouldn't it?
--- End quote ---

You're not going to believe this, Strings, but large numbers of Asians have been sneaking into America over the Mexican so-called "border" the past few years. We're not talking about hundreds; we're not talking about thousands, but hundreds of thousands.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version