Main Forums > Politics

NFL commissioner says no Limbaugh

(1/9) > >>

Monkeyleg:
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell dismissed Rush Limbaugh's possible bid to buy the Rams by going politically correct. Is that really a bright strategy? Limbaugh will be able to reach far more people than Goodell to turn this story against Goodell. Besides, why alienate a large percentage of your customers?

Story:

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell failed to offer support of Rush Limbaugh's bid to buy the Rams on Tuesday and said the talk-show host's "divisive comments" would not be welcome in the league.

"I've said many times before, we're all held to a high standard here," Goodell told reporters, via the New York Times.

"I would not want to see those comments coming from people who are in a responsible position in the NFL –- absolutely not."

Limbaugh said last week he's part of a group trying to buy the Rams. Colts owner Jim Irsay was the latest to express disapproval for Limbaugh's bid when he said he would not vote to approve such a deal. (NFL owners must vote to approve new owners of teams.)

Goodell specifically took exception with Limbaugh for his controversial comment about Donovan McNabb in 2003 when he worked as an NFL analyst for ESPN. Limbaugh suggested the media wanted McNabb to succeed because he is black.

"The comments Rush made specifically about Donovan, I disagree with very strongly," Goodell said, via the Times.

"It's a polarizing comment that we don't think reflect accurately on the NFL or our players. I obviously do not believe those comments are positive and they are divisive. That's a negative thing for us, obviously."

Gewehr98:
Oh, yeah, because other sports league owners never suffered from foot-in-mouth disease...  ;/

AZRedhawk44:
Football seems to be predominantly watched by conservatives and right-leaning libs and independents.

Rush's audience.

Saying that Rush isn't good enough to be an owner is going to hurt the NFL... for about as long as Rush decides to milk it and really harp on it.

Then things will go back to normal.

More affluent folks that tend to buy season tickets may hold off for a year or three as a result, if they take great offense.

I think it's stupid.  Then again, I'm not a football fan anyways.

"Rush" isn't even the buyer.  He's in with a group of investors... not the sole voice.  He's just trying to diversify his holdings in an entertaining way.

Chuck Dye:
Anyone know the level of The Baron of Bombast's participation in the bidding group?

Jocassee:

--- Quote from: Chuck Dye on October 14, 2009, 02:06:58 PM ---Anyone know the level of The Baron of Bombast's participation in the bidding group?

--- End quote ---

Only that he is not the principal as is being portrayed in the media. Also I would like to point out that someone LEAKED this info, Rush only reacted. He did not announce it outright.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version