Author Topic: Jeb: I am considering Senate run  (Read 2539 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Jeb: I am considering Senate run
« on: December 03, 2008, 02:34:53 PM »
I think he would be pro-gun.  Actually, I have not heard anything very bad about him, but that will change if he runs for the Senate.

Jeb: I am considering Senate run
By CAROL E. LEE & JONATHAN MARTIN |
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16155.html

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush — the younger brother of the president — is weighing a run for the Senate seat currently held by Republican Mel Martinez.

Martinez announced Tuesday that he will not seek reelection in 2010. Asked whether he was interested in running for the seat then, Bush told Politico by e-mail Tuesday night: “I am considering it.”

A source close to Bush said he'll be thoughtful and methodical about the decision-making process. He will consider the impact a race would have on his family and his business and whether or not the U.S. Senate is the best forum from which to continue his advocacy for issues such as education, immigration and GOP solutions to health care reform.

In an interview with Politico immediately after November’s election, the former governor said the Republican Party should take four primary steps to regain favor with voters: Show no tolerance for corruption, practice what it preaches about limiting the scope of government (“There should not be such a thing as a Big Government Republican”), stand for working families and small business, and embrace reform.

Bush said conservatives should “do the math of the new demographics of the United States,” explaining that the Republican Party “can’t be anti-Hispanic, anti-young person — anti many things — and be surprised when we don’t win elections.”

Since Martinez's announcement Tuesday, Bush has received many phone calls and emails from Floridians and national Republicans urging him to run, the source close to him said Tuesday night.

Bush has kept a low-profile since leaving office in 2007, but he retains a strong following among Florida Republicans and would almost certainly clear the Republican field should he decide to run.

But he's in no hurry to decide, said a top adviser, and won't make a decision until after the new year.

Should Bush decide against a run, the field is wide open for Republicans who would consider bids for the seat.

Outgoing state House Speaker Marco Rubio – a close Bush ally and Republican rising star in the Sunshine state – told Politico in an interview that he’d almost certainly run for the seat.

"If he doesn’t run, I’d find it very difficult not to run," Rubio said of the former governor.

But Rubio, like other Republicans, is respectful of the place Bush holds within the Florida GOP.

"I think Jeb Bush should run and if he does I think he’ll win," he said.

Rubio, 37, hails from Miami’s powerful Cuban-American community and would command strong support from that influential bloc in a Republican primary. He has already set up a YouTube page and will be launching his own website soon in anticipation of a potential run. 

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Jeb: I am considering Senate run
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 02:48:16 PM »
Bush said conservatives should “do the math of the new demographics of the United States,” explaining that the Republican Party “can’t be anti-Hispanic, anti-young person — anti many things — and be surprised when we don’t win elections.”

Why don't they understand that anti-illegal is not the same as anti-Hispanic?

ARGH!

Mel Martinez is one of the big RINO's along with McCain that keeps coming up in favor of Amnesty.  Jeb Bush, if to be understood in the context of his own statements and the feelings of his brother on the issue, also seems to be an illegal sympathizer.

Need a better Republican down there, but "Bush" will shadow over any other likely candidate and smother him before he gets a chance to begin to run.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 02:50:29 PM »

because in many cases it is?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 02:51:02 PM »
With Republicans like these, why do we need Democrats?....  :rolleyes:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 03:10:45 PM »

because in many cases it is?

Oh really?

Ask a legal immigrant Latino who still has family waiting in some pesthole for legal entry what they think of illegals being given amnesty.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 03:33:49 PM »

Spare us more Bushes.

Spare us more Karl Rovian "demographic" approaches to political soundness.

It's not about "winning elections," it's about promoting liberty, progress, and economic prosperity.  The Republicans have caught the people-pleaser disease.  If "Hispanics" and "young people" are anti-liberty, then that is a problem we need to confront head-on and not pretend it's not important or that it is our responsibility to conform to their agendas.  This is not political savvy, it's just weakness.  We can certainly "adapt" our way to Pyrrhic victories as pseudo-Republicans.  Count me out.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 03:51:18 PM »
I am considering screaming and running off into the woods if I see yet another Country Club Republican Bushie.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 03:52:21 PM »
Sure it is about all those things, now they need to get on Spanish TV and radio and sell that message.  My boss is a legal immigrant from Mexico (engineer).  I believe he still watches Telemundo and other spanish language stations primarily at home.  You have to sell your message to these people and try to cut through all the misinformation and urban legend crap that is working against you.  I think they are or can be receptive.

I work with a guy whose wife is from Venezuela.  I have heard her say she flew to the US, she didn't swim.  :)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 04:51:52 PM »
Enough of the Bush Family.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 05:35:20 PM »
Oh really?

Ask a legal immigrant Latino who still has family waiting in some pesthole for legal entry what they think of illegals being given amnesty.

Ask any potential legal immigrant that.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 05:57:33 PM »
I'm all Bushed out.

Keep them out of politics.

My Nightmare:
http://bushclintonforever.googlepages.com/
At Bush & Clinton Forever, we strongly believe that a family's political experience, pedigree, ambition and "brand name" are of paramount importance in American political life.  It is our mission to help continue the Bush and Clinton back-and-forth political dynasty into perpetuity. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton