Author Topic: It's always the gun's fault  (Read 10287 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
It's always the gun's fault
« on: December 02, 2012, 01:38:25 PM »
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jovan-belcher-kansas-city-chiefs-murder-suicide-tragedy-girlfriend-self-leave-orphan-daughter-why-still-playing-sunday-120112

So a knot-head football star decides to murder his significant other and then kill himself -- and this knot-head writer wants to blame the 2nd Amendment and our "gun culture." I would almost bet that the guy did NOT own the gun legally, because football stars generally think the laws don't apply to them (Plaxico Buress, for example, and Michael Vicks).

Why isn't this clown putting the blame where it belongs -- on the ghetto mentality that thinks violence is the answer to every problem, and that anyone who doesn't agree with you doesn't "respect" you and therefore deserves to be beaten or shot? And why shouldn't the game go on as scheduled? This is a professional football league. They get paid to play football, and the ripple effect of cancelling one game because of one bone-headed player's selfish act would screw up the entire season for the entire league. (Unless KC decided to simply concede the game.)

I am disgusted by this writer's misplaced disgust.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: It's always the gun's fault
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 02:08:36 PM »
Wow. Sports writer is clueless on the subject of human rights. Go figure.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 04:41:59 PM »
Wow. Sports writer is clueless. on the subject of human rights. Go figure.

FTFY
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »
That is the message I wish Chiefs players, professional athletes and all of us would focus on Sunday and moving forward. Handguns do not enhance our safety. They exacerbate our flaws, tempt us to escalate arguments, and bait us into embracing confrontation rather than avoiding it.

A little bit of projection going on there. He doesn't trust himself so he doesn't trust anyone.

Head injury, current or past steroid abuse, poor upbringing, bad apple, could be a lot of reasons he snapped and none of them have anything to do with my firearms.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 06:38:54 PM »
EVERY time I've discussed gun rights with an anti, they have either used an argument that was a form of projection (see above), or (the minority) have had a bad experience that they assume is the norm.
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 06:58:18 PM »
Is it just me is or this almost the opening scene of "the last boyscout"

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 07:43:06 PM »
Pretty damn close. IIRC, the player in the movie shot himself on the field, after making a touchdown and uttering the line "ain't life a bitch?"
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »
I just heard Bob Costas of Sunday night football quote the part of this on TV. [barf]

Costas is getting ripped on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/SNFonNBC

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 01:21:33 AM »
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jovan-belcher-kansas-city-chiefs-murder-suicide-tragedy-girlfriend-self-leave-orphan-daughter-why-still-playing-sunday-120112

Why isn't this clown putting the blame where it belongs -- on the ghetto mentality that thinks violence is the answer to every problem, and that anyone who doesn't agree with you doesn't "respect" you and therefore deserves to be beaten or shot?

Maybe because the "ghetto mentality" has not only come to pervade competitive athletics but damn near every aspect of our mass culture over the last generation.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 08:18:07 AM »
For once it would be nice if commentators just waited until there was more information before pontificating.  I suppose it is because they have an agenda, but why do they have to attach some kind of meaning or give a reason why someone does something like that?  At this point, it doesn't really seem like anyone knows exactly why this has happened.

One comment that stood out was when Costas said that if it weren't for handguns, these people would be alive.  This seems to be really stupid considering that a professional football player certainly has the strength to kill someone with his bare hands.  In addition, people that really want to kill themselves are able to find a way if they don't have a gun.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:37:35 AM »

So a knot-head football star decides to murder his significant other and then kill himself -- and this knot-head writer wants to blame the 2nd Amendment and our "gun culture." I would almost bet that the guy did NOT own the gun legally, because football stars generally think the laws don't apply to them (Plaxico Buress, for example, and Michael Vicks).

Why isn't this clown putting the blame where it belongs -- on the ghetto mentality that thinks violence is the answer to every problem, and that anyone who doesn't agree with you doesn't "respect" you and therefore deserves to be beaten or shot? And why shouldn't the game go on as scheduled? This is a professional football league. They get paid to play football, and the ripple effect of cancelling one game because of one bone-headed player's selfish act would screw up the entire season for the entire league. (Unless KC decided to simply concede the game.)

I am disgusted by this writer's misplaced disgust.

So this is an opinion piece masquerading as a story....about par for the course anymore.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 08:48:48 AM »
For once it would be nice if commentators just waited until there was more information before pontificating.  I suppose it is because they have an agenda, but why do they have to attach some kind of meaning or give a reason why someone does something like that?  At this point, it doesn't really seem like anyone knows exactly why this has happened.

One comment that stood out was when Costas said that if it weren't for handguns, these people would be alive.  This seems to be really stupid considering that a professional football player certainly has the strength to kill someone with his bare hands.  In addition, people that really want to kill themselves are able to find a way if they don't have a gun.

This is not about a rush to judgment. It is about realizing that isolating events outside of a cultural context can rob us of a deeper and wider understanding. 
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 09:26:01 AM »

ARLINGTON, Texas -- NBC broadcaster Bob Costas used his halftime segment on "Sunday Night Football" to advocate for gun control following this weekend's murder-suicide involving Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher, causing an immediate debate on social media.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/03/bob-costas-gun-control-jovan-belcher_n_2229496.html

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/03/bob-costas-gun-control-jovan-belcher_n_2229496.html

The Huffpo seems balanced there. Did anybody check to see which direction the sun came up today?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 10:47:20 AM »
The Huffpo seems balanced there. Did anybody check to see which direction the sun came up today?

Today...from the west...is that bad?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 11:07:04 AM »

Firearm ownership and the right to self defense is a nexus for many dissimilar groups. Even here at APS we have divisions that if not checked by the mods can cause ranker.

A good portion of the left/progressives have finally figured that out. They need to consolidate their power and control before they start disarming society.

They will probably do a divide and conquer Alinsky inspired attack on us.

The blitz will be in the mass media. The local and national news, TV sitcoms, movies and yes, even sports announcers will all start getting the message out. They will divide the disparate groups of gun owners. Fudds, authoritarian leo/military types, progressive/left gun owners will be shamed for their support and connection to the radical "others".

I'm not sure how they are going to define us that are the other. They've tried the domestic terrorist ploy and it didn't work. The whole gun running to Mexico was probably part of some type of redefining of gun owners and exploiting senseless acts of gun violence isn't working that well lately. Once they hit on the right theme though it is all over, they will have the public behind them.  

“Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy." -S Alinsky
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:18:24 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
The article may have been balanced, but the comments sure weren't. If the left wants to use gun rights as a commonality, I think they still have a ways to go with their base. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 12:17:31 PM »
Just read the quote.  If he hand't had a gun, they would both be alive...

in the 18+ years I've been involved in the criminal justice system, I've seen homicides and suicides done dozens of ways.  Firearms can be used for that, but this guy could have killed the woman with his bare hands for that matter.

Some people just don't get it...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »
The article may have been balanced, but the comments sure weren't. If the left wants to use gun rights as a commonality, I think they still have a ways to go with their base. :)

The comments section on most news sites seem to attract the lunatic fringe.  The only things that are possibly stupider are Amazon reviews and the comments on YouTube videos.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 05:57:48 PM »
Just read the quote.  If he hand't had a gun, they would both be alive...

in the 18+ years I've been involved in the criminal justice system, I've seen homicides and suicides done dozens of ways.  Firearms can be used for that, but this guy could have killed the woman with his bare hands for that matter.

He WAS going to kill her. How he did it was open for options, but he WAS going to kill her. She had already left him once, and she made the (fatal) mistake of coming back and giving him a second chance. It didn't work, and she had told him she was leaving again.

How much did he want to kill her? He killed his girlfriend in front of his own mother. It was HIS mother who called the cops and reported the incident. If you want someone dead so badly that you'll commit murder in front of your own mother ... IMHO that person doesn't have a prayer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 07:02:04 PM »
The mistake is attempting empathy.  This is the stuff of another culture (I don't mean race, I mean class) that operates in its world, by its own rules.  Unfortunately, it is large and increasing in size.  Save your empathy and enquiries for more deserving people.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:17:56 PM by Ron »

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 08:24:09 PM »

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 08:30:56 PM »

Just read the quote.  If he hadn't had a gun, they would both be alive...

in the 18+ years I've been involved in the criminal justice system, I've seen homicides and suicides done dozens of ways.  Firearms can be used for that, but this guy could have killed the woman with his bare hands for that matter.

By the way . . . have any of you guys read Nicole Brown-Simpson's latest book describing her life with OJ?  I reckon it'll be a chart topper.  Lady has a real sharp wit, pointed and incisive insight.  Really cutting edge stuff.  I recommend takin' a stab at reading it.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 08:37:01 PM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden