Author Topic: Bottled-water purchase leads to night in jail for UVa student  (Read 10312 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: Bottled-water purchase leads to night in jail for UVa student
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2013, 02:45:07 PM »
you might find some of those guys don't play well with others.  in the real world

And why don't they play well with others?  Maybe because alcohol police have SWAT teams to arrest them for tax crimes.  

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »
you might find some of those guys don't play well with others.  in the real world

All the more reason for the ABC people to be appropriately uniformed and so prevent being killed by a person defending themselves. If I'm on the grand jury for a murder/manslaughter charge against a person defending themself in those circumstances I'm voting to no bill.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2013, 02:46:49 PM »
The "crime" is more on the part of the store if they sold alcohol to a minor.

Has suspicion of misdemeanor MIP become grounds for a felony level apprehension  ???

The state Alcoholic Beverage Control agents sound like a bunch of mall ninjas to me  ;/

Come on, haven't you seen the "Untouchables"?  It's a jungle out there!
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 02:48:05 PM »
...The state Alcoholic Beverage Control agents sound like a bunch of mall ninjas to me  ;/

This. These jokers are out of control in Texas too. It wasn't until they went after a gay bar that they got their patties smacked.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2013, 02:55:41 PM »
Must be some sort of anomaly in the time space continuim that I am agreeing 100% with CSD on something  :lol:

with CSD with De Selby :rofl:
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2013, 03:33:09 PM »
its amusing in a way.  guys who stay armed in their own homes think folks arresting fools should do it unarmed.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/3743-agent-garnett-e-dick-dabney
http://www.nllea.org/documents/officermemorial.pdf
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 03:47:55 PM »
its amusing in a way.  guys who stay armed in their own homes think folks arresting fools should do it unarmed.

No one here is arguing unarmed.

We're arguing against plainclothes, clandestine shock-arrest techniques.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »

Funny you use cops getting killed to argue in favor of cops using methods of arrest that are likely to get them killed or cause them to wrongly kill innocents.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

• friends
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2013, 04:07:26 PM »
No one here is arguing unarmed.

We're arguing against plainclothes, clandestine shock-arrest techniques.

you'd be shocked.  underage folks don't buy in front of a uniformed cop often. nor do store clerks sell ilegally
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2013, 04:12:08 PM »
you'd be shocked.  underage folks don't buy in front of a uniformed cop often. nor do store clerks sell ilegally

So that authorizes deliberately initiating deadly force conduct against a m.i.p. suspect?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »
... Police say one of the agents jumped on the hood of her car. She says one drew a gun.

And no mistake about it, that is what the agent jumping on the hood was trying to do. Justify the agent with the drawn gun killing the m.i.p suspect.

Michigan's supreme court got rid of this vile tactic more than twenty years ago.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2013, 05:40:58 PM »

And it is a bad thing if a crime is prevented by an overt LEO presence?  Is this not a Good ThingTM

I am not all that keen on plain clothed LEOs.  We lose the crime prevention effect of obvious LEO presence.  Prevention beats enforcement & incarceration in my book.

And, yes, I would prefer if fewer gov't agents were armed and/or more poorly armed than the general population.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2013, 06:16:54 PM »
And it is a bad thing if a crime is prevented by an overt LEO presence?  Is this not a Good ThingTM

I am not all that keen on plain clothed LEOs.  We lose the crime prevention effect of obvious LEO presence.  Prevention beats enforcement & incarceration in my book.

And, yes, I would prefer if fewer gov't agents were armed and/or more poorly armed than the general population.

under cover stings are quite preventitive. a few store clerks in cuffs make the others quite conscientious about carding folks.  and va abc is quite effecent. they got smacked in 81 for using a police cadet to buy. judge looked at her said "she looks 25 to me!" and threw out the cases

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Re: Bottled-water purchase leads to night in jail for UVa student
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2013, 06:21:26 PM »
Even the girl acknowledged they had badges out. And that she "grazed" them with her vehicle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

I possess several badges.

One is actually official identification.

One is a replica of Don Johnson's Miami Vice badge.

One is a replica of Jack Webbs' Dragnet badge.

Both of the latter two would look pretty official from ten feet away in a dark parking lot at 10:30 p.m. Neither of them gives me any authority to detain or even stop anyone. IMHO the girls were in the right and the revenooers were totally in the wrong.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2013, 06:31:23 PM »
Different strokes for different criminals.

Coed=/= Moonshiner.

IF we agree that it's worth shooting people to stop illegal stills (big if) then fine, use the tac team in the backwoods of Kentucky.  That girl wasn't hiding a sawed off Saiga in her Vicky's Pink! sweats.

• friends
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2013, 06:44:03 PM »
Different strokes for different criminals.

Coed=/= Moonshiner.

IF we agree that it's worth shooting people to stop illegal stills (big if) then fine, use the tac team in the backwoods of Kentucky.  That girl wasn't hiding a sawed off Saiga in her Vicky's Pink! sweats.

if you read that list of dead agents several were killed doing grocery store arrests just like this one,  heck regular cops mighta shot the girl for "grazing" the other 2 agents.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2013, 07:06:57 PM »
if you read that list of dead agents several were killed doing grocery store arrests just like this one,  heck regular cops mighta shot the girl for "grazing" the other 2 agents.

Is that statement really supposed to be in support of the cops' actions and tactics?? 
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2013, 07:10:03 PM »
if you read that list of dead agents several were killed doing grocery store arrests just like this one,  heck regular cops mighta shot the girl for "grazing" the other 2 agents.
Except that regular uniformed cops with a squad car in sight, would have created a completely different reaction in this case.  There would be no doubt she was dealing with law enforcement.  She probably would not have panicked.  If she still tries to run, then she would get very little sympathy. 

I understand that undercover cops do stings, but it doesn't take an army to have a couple marked cars with uniformed cops/agents nearby to initiate the actual arrest.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2013, 07:30:38 PM »
Except that regular uniformed cops with a squad car in sight, would have created a completely different reaction in this case.  There would be no doubt she was dealing with law enforcement.  She probably would not have panicked.  If she still tries to run, then she would get very little sympathy. 

I understand that undercover cops do stings, but it doesn't take an army to have a couple marked cars with uniformed cops/agents nearby to initiate the actual arrest.  
you mean like a car with lights?

HankB

• friend
Re: Re: Bottled-water purchase leads to night in jail for UVa student
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »
I possess several badges.

One is actually official identification.

One is a replica of Don Johnson's Miami Vice badge.

One is a replica of Jack Webbs' Dragnet badge.

Both of the latter two would look pretty official from ten feet away in a dark parking lot at 10:30 p.m. Neither of them gives me any authority to detain or even stop anyone. IMHO the girls were in the right and the revenooers were totally in the wrong.
I used to carry a badge quite often.

I had at least two - one said something like "Dick Tracy Junior G-Man" and the other simply said "Marshall."

I haven't seen either since I was around 8 years old . . . both were shiny and unless you looked at them closely, realistic.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2013, 08:11:08 PM »
Out in the wild wild west of Nevada, plain clothes cops only go after the sales clerks.  They use a <21yo to make the sale then bust the clerk.  We don't stinking care about the teeny boppers drinking, unless they get in a car accident and die.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2013, 08:19:40 PM »
What's the PC for the stop?  Carrying a 12pk of water doesn't cut it.  If the ABC agents can't tell beer from water, they need to be fired for incompetence.  So the PC is either incompetence or lying.  Neither one flies in court.  Obviously.

Hopefully this will serve to rein in these mall ninjas before they get more than they can handle.  If they keep that up, they'll get themselves there quickly.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2013, 09:19:48 PM »

Then perhaps they ought to change their tactics for apprehending a potential suspect.

Seriously, a "Hi, I'm an ABC agent and I think you have booze in your bag, can I please look?" is probably going to go a lot further them shouting, drawing guns and scaring the pee out of a soriety ditz.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2013, 09:23:59 PM »

Citation needed.

I have yet to hear of a coed (or even coed aged girl) capping an ABC agent in the parking lot. A prudent LEO adjust tactics based on who his target is.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2013, 09:28:22 PM »
Is that statement really supposed to be in support of the cops' actions and tactics?? 

Far more cops are killed by bad/drunk/distracted drivers, using his logic he'd have cops with .50 machine guns machine gunning bad/drunk/distracted drivers to pull them over.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"