Author Topic: Russian President Signs Decree to Cut Number of Federal Officials  (Read 1615 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/01/03/report-russian-president-signs-decree-cut-number-federal-officials/?test=latestnews

Russian President Demitry Medvedev signs decree reducing the number of federal officials.  It is a step down method, 5% reduction in 2011, 5% reduction in 2012 and 10% reduction in 2013.  Talk about bloat, number of federal officials went from 600,000 in 2005 to 1,100,000 in 2010.  Estimated to save $1.3 billion.

That maneuver would never happen in the US, due to the Unions.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Russian President Signs Decree to Cut Number of Federal Officials
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 03:24:06 PM »
I used to be a part of a federal union, and I'd support a law banning them.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 03:29:23 PM »
That maneuver would never happen in the US, due to the Unions.

Even if it did, they would just replace the workers with contractors.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 04:50:56 PM »
Even if it did, they would just replace the workers with contractors.

Chris

Yup, that's exactly what happened under Clinton via Gore. They froze tons of open FTE positions, but then filled them with contractors (who, with overhead, often cost more than FTEs). Because salaries and contractor funds come out of two different pots of money, Gore was able to show how he saved the taxpayers oodles of money on federal labor.

Then a few years later, they started going back in the other direction, so we again have gotten a ton of fed hires over the last few years.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »
Yup, that's exactly what happened under Clinton via Gore. They froze tons of open FTE positions, but then filled them with contractors (who, with overhead, often cost more than FTEs). Because salaries and contractor funds come out of two different pots of money, Gore was able to show how he saved the taxpayers oodles of money on federal labor.

Then a few years later, they started going back in the other direction, so we again have gotten a ton of fed hires over the last few years.

I use to work for a large school district in Ohio and they were always trying to bring in contractors instead of FTEs, because of the different pots of money.  The contractors would also cost more money than the FTEs.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 09:41:16 PM »
Hopefully they do away with the entire russian postal system, and let UPS take over

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 10:59:19 PM »
Hopefully they do away with the entire russian US postal system, and let UPS take over

FTFY How the heck do you raise rates every year and still lose money??? I thought I'd keep them in the black myself with flat rate boxes. Hmm, come to think of it maybe the 30lb cross country flat rate boxes did them in.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 12:53:08 AM »
Russian President Demitry Medvedev signs decree reducing the number of federal officials.
Including elected ones?  >:D

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 10:41:37 AM »
FTFY How the heck do you raise rates every year and still lose money??? ...

How the heck do you take a week to not* deliver an overnight package  ???   ;/

* recipient finally had to pick it up at the PO
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 09:33:53 PM »
FTFY How the heck do you raise rates every year and still lose money??? I thought I'd keep them in the black myself with flat rate boxes. Hmm, come to think of it maybe the 30lb cross country flat rate boxes did them in.

MFW you would beg for the USPS after having to deal with Почта Росси.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4208/21213581000champagnetoa.jpg