Author Topic: Summer Camp Tag, Wiffle Ball Will Come With a Warning, Thanks to NY Politicians  (Read 2434 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/19/classic-kids-playground-games-regulated-new-york/

NY attempting to close a loophole (2009) that allowed indoor camps to operate without oversight, creates risky recreational activities list compiled by NY State Health Department.  If you run an indoor camp and offer two of more organized recreational activities, with at least one of them on the risky list, then you are a summer camp and subject to regulation.  The risky recreational activities are not banned, but the it will be a pay-to-play situation.  Camps will have to pay a $200 registration fee and will have to have medical staff on hand.  The camps will need a permit and be inspected twice a year the NY State Health Department.  NanNY state claims that this regulation has resulted in low levels of serious incidents.

Games on the risky list include:  Capture the flag, Crab Soccer, Dodgeball, Flag Tag, Flag Football, Ga Ga, Kickball, Nuk-em, Red Rover, Steal the Bacon, Tag (all varieties), Wiffle Ball.

I weep for the younger generations.  Next NanNY state will require that everybody have their own personal bubble.  ;/

Edited to clarify who pays registration fee.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:02:12 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

PTK

• friends
....seriously. Seriously? That's.... I'm very glad that I don't live in New England anymore. Hearing more and more from NY, CT, RI, and MA about how things are getting worse. :(
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Any wonder why we have fat kids?

When you outlaw physical games (yeah, yeah, "it's not outlawed", just regulated/litigated away), kids will get fat.

Want fewer fat kids? LET THEM RUN AND PLAY. Bring back merry-go-rounds that you can spin fast enough to make you puke! Bring back jungle gyms to climb on, under, and through!

Stop outlawing childhood!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
I don't recognize some of those . . . but tag is a risky activity?   :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
I swear, some of these people lie awake at night thinking of things to regulate.

Maybe Ayn Rand was right.  The more crimes you manufacture, the more control you have.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

longeyes

• friend
The voters of the future--aka "The Wiffles."
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Dannyboy

• friend
Other than wrapping the bat with a roll of duct tape and using it to beat your little brother, how is wiffle ball dangerous?
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Ned Hamford

• friend
Hey now, those games of 'steal the bacon' can get downright bloody  :P
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

MechAg94

• friend
Hey now, those games of 'steal the bacon' can get downright bloody  :P
That was what I was thinking. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

geronimotwo

• friend
fortunatly it was shot down.  my wife does preschool with tag being a definate favorite.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:43:38 PM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Oops missed that in the text of the story.   :lol:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
First I saw of the impending doom was in the early seventies, '70 or '71. Dad was in the Air Force, I was in 3rd grade and we moved from Fallon, NV. to Delmar, NJ.
The school I left had all the coolest playground equipment you could imagine a 3rd grader wanting. The new school had NOTHING. I asked my teacher about it and she explained that a child had been injured and a school had been sued so they took away all the fun stuff to keep from getting sued.
I didn't understand the implications at the time.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
I was eating at a MacWendyKings the other day and watched the muchachas playing in the playroom.  Looked fascinating. Big tunnels going up and around, fake helicopter blades, holes to crawl through, neat windows to look down on the mamacitas. slides, a bin full of balls to roll around in, a sneaker/shoes storage area.

Like wow, I wished I were small (and still agile) enough to romp around in there.  Second (fifth?) childhood and all that.  I really enjoyed watching a group of kids playing in it.

But I was amazed at the enormous design efforts Macwendyking must have made to make all that apparatus safe for the little guys.

No conclusion, no "message," just an observation.

Terry, 230RN

I used to
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.