Author Topic: A lonely vet gets the respect he deserves.  (Read 3501 times)

robear

• friend
A lonely vet gets the respect he deserves.
« on: January 12, 2009, 02:55:47 AM »
Helluva story.  Good on officer Porcello.

Story here: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2008/12/09/2008-12-09_last_days_for_marine_were_true_finest_ho.html

Sometimes when old Marines die they do fade away into unmarked graves in Potter's Field.

Such might have been the case for Gaspar Musso, USMC 925050, who fought in the Battle of Tinian in the Marianas Islands in 1944 and who died Nov. 15 at age 84 in a Brooklyn nursing home.

Enter Police Officer Susan Porcello, a PBA delegate at the 68th Precinct in Bay Ridge and one of those big-hearted New Yorkers who still make this the best city on Earth.

"No way was I going to let this brave old Marine who fought for his country in WWII get buried in Potter's Field," she says.

Porcello first met Musso back in July when she responded to a 911 ambulance call to the retired insurance broker's one-bedroom apartment on, appropriately, Marine Ave.

"When my partner, Eddie Ennis, and I arrived at his apartment Gaspar seemed a little bit down about himself," Porcello says. "He said he felt alone in the world. We talked to him a bit and as I looked around his tidy apartment I noticed that he had served in the military - the Marines to be exact."

Porcello asked him about family and friends. "Look around you, what do you see?" Musso said. "I have no family or friends."

To which Porcello said, "Well, I'm your friend."

Right there, with those four beautiful words, Gaspar Musso was destined to die with the dignity he'd earned with a rifle in his hands, fighting in a USMC uniform, in a war that saved civilization.

If she didn't already wear a badge, you'd want to pin a star on Susan Porcello.

Musso, a diabetic with a host of other age-related maladies, had accidentally overdosed on his prescription medications. Porcello accompanied him to Lutheran Medical Center.

"I told him I'd be back to visit him and take him to a senior center where he could make some friends," said Porcello, who comes from a big Italian family with a mom, dad, three sisters and a brother.

"I told him I was making him my 'Grandpa,' and if he liked, he could spend Thanksgiving with my family. Eddie and I discussed alternating holidays with Gaspar so he wouldn't be alone for any of them."

Two days later Musso was placed in critical care. Porcello asked hospital staff where he'd be buried if he didn't make it. "Potter's Field," said one administrator.

"This infuriated me," said Porcello. "There was no way I was going to let a man who fought for our country be buried in Potter's Field. Not on my watch!"

Porcello told the hospital to keep her apprised of Musso's condition. She had a local priest visit him. Porcello even asked NYPD's Missing Person's Squad to search for next of kin.

No luck.

Musso had been an only child to Anthony and Marie Musso, both deceased. He had no other relatives. Musso's only friend, an upstairs neighbor, had died the year before.

After his health improved, Musso asked Porcello to become his official health proxy.

She transferred him to Caton Park Nursing Home, where he was treated extremely well. She visited him often, learning that Musso was born May 7, 1924, joined the USMC in December 1943, finished training at Camp Lejune in March 1944 and was fighting with the 2nd Marines on Tinian Island by July 1944.

"I visited Gaspar on Nov. 13, bringing him rosary beads, a Bible, and his reading glasses," she said.

"The next day, Nov. 14, I returned and found Gaspar sitting up in a chair, dressed in his own clothes. Looking great."

Porcello washed his hands and face, trimmed his nails and eyebrows and asked if he was coming to her house for Thanksgiving. "I'm trying!" he said. He also asked Porcello to bring him a Christmas wreath for his room.

The next morning Porcello received a phone call saying that Gaspar Musso had died peacefully in his sleep.

No way was she going to let her good friend be toe-tagged and buried in Potter's Field.

Porcello paid out of her own pocket for a wake at McLaughlin's on Third Ave. and a mass at St. Patrick's Church in Bay Ridge, where a crowd of good-hearted cops from the 68th Precinct filled the pews, six serving as pallbearers. Sgt. Angel Rosa of the 68th, also a Marine, arranged for a USMC honor guard at Musso's funeral.

Then taps blew over Gaspar Musso, United States Marine, as he was buried next to his mother at Resurrection Cemetery in Staten Island.

With the dignity he deserved.

Semper Fi.dhamill@nydailynews.com

-----------------------------

Gotta go now..  Something in my eye.

RIP Devil Dog, and thank you.

R

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: A lonely vet gets the respect he deserves.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 04:29:46 AM »
Rest easy, Gyrene.  And thanks.
Semper Fi.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 04:53:10 AM »
cool
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 07:50:38 AM »
Um yeah.  Crying like a baby right now.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 07:52:57 AM »
Damn, I got something in my eye too,,,must be contagious...

RIP
Avoid cliches like the plague!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 09:59:53 AM »
Monitor's all blurry...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 10:09:31 AM »

Little things like this can restore one's faith in humanity.

Officer Susan Porcello, you are a wonderful person.  More than anything, thank you for caring.
Gaspar Musso, USMC, rest in peace.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:15:45 AM »
Gaspar, you got a lot of friends now and forevermore.

Semper Fi.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 11:28:22 AM »
Wonderful story.  Old vets live on forever in the hearts of true friends.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 12:55:14 PM »
Damn.  Something must be wrong with the monitors here at work.  All 4 are out of focus.....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 01:03:48 PM »
With all the stories of corruption, violence, and underhandedness we're fed on a daily basis, I'm glad to see that there still are good people doing good deeds for those who've earned some consideration from their country.

Good on you, Officer Porcello, and Thanks to Gaspar Musso USMC - may he Rest in Peace.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

griz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 01:12:18 PM »
Thank you officer Porcello.  It's good to hear of some of the best people out there.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 06:34:16 PM »
And I wish we could do the same for the rest of the lonely ones that are out there.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 01:22:30 AM »
Damn fine cop.

That's how it's done, folks. Not by the government as our proxy, but by each of us caring enough to see to the welfare of our fellow man in some way.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 05:35:26 PM »
And I wish we could do the same for the rest of the lonely ones that are out there.

we can  just like she did
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 06:47:11 PM »
Sgt. Angel Rosa of the 68th, also a Marine, arranged for a USMC honor guard at Musso's funeral.

I thought the military has members present at the funerals of every vet. The Navy had a reservist at my uncle's funeral, and all he ever did was test bilge water for god knows what. Good job Officer Porcello.

RIP Marine.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 08:21:02 PM »
I thought the military has members present at the funerals of every vet. The Navy had a reservist at my uncle's funeral, and all he ever did was test bilge water for god knows what. Good job Officer Porcello.

RIP Marine.

It has to be requested by the family.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 11:08:15 PM »
That is a tear-jerker.  Thanks for sharing the story.  I hope everyone reading it (including myself) thinks about it the next time they encounter a loner or someone in need.