Author Topic: Great story from an SR-71 driver.  (Read 2032 times)

robear

• friend
Great story from an SR-71 driver.
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
Stumbled across this while surfin' about.   The blackbird was always one of my favorite airplanes..

http://gizmodo.com/5511236/the-thrill-of-flying-the-sr+71-blackbird

mellestad

• friend
Re: Great story from an SR-71 driver.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:49:36 AM »
Neat!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »
That is cool.  Thank you.
I particularly like
One day, high above Arizona , we were monitoring the radio traffic of all the mortal airplanes below us. First, a Cessna pilot asked the air traffic controllers to check his ground speed. 'Ninety knots,' ATC replied. A twin Bonanza soon made the same request. 'One-twenty on the ground,' was the reply. To our surprise, a navy F-18 came over the radio with a ground speed check. I knew exactly what he was doing. Of course, he had a ground speed indicator in his cockpit, but he wanted to let all the bug-smashers in the valley know what real speed was 'Dusty 52, we show you at 620 on the ground,' ATC responded. The situation was too ripe. I heard the click of Walter's mike button in the rear seat. In his most innocent voice, Walter startled the controller by asking for a ground speed check from 81,000 feet, clearly above controlled airspace. In a cool, professional voice, the controller replied, ' Aspen 20, I show you at 1,982 knots on the ground.' We did not hear another transmission on that frequency all the way to the coast. 
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »
One of the better stories about the SR-71.  Thanks, robear.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 12:41:04 PM »

Some folks put up their nose and scoff "Anthropomorphism!" when they hear tales of machines having a personality.  They are fools.

Any machine that is complex enough has its own ... quirks, tendencies, mannerisms, etc.  What the heck do folks think a personality is?  That which is unique to an entity.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 09:12:24 AM »
The SR-71 story I like is one that may or may not be true.

Allegedly, there was a lot of radio chatter one day, with various airline pilots requesting altitude changes in an attempt to find smoother air. Requests came in a steady flow.

In a less-busy moment, a call was made to ATC from a military flight: "XXX Center, [Military flight so-and-so] requesting (flight level) six-zero-zero (60 thousand feet above sea level). Center's response was a hearty chuckle and "[Flight so-and-so], change approved. If you can make it there."

A cheerful response came back: "XXX Center, thanks. [Flight so-and-so] out of eight-zero-zero (80 thousand feet!) for six-zero-zero."

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

robear

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 10:30:33 AM »
This site actually has (what is claimed to be) an SR-71 flight manual.   Interesting reading.

http://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 01:30:07 PM »
According to the NASA Mach calculator (http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/sound.html), the Mach 3.5 at 80,000 feet mentioned in the story corresponds to 2311 MPH . . .

Didn't a former SecDef kill the Blackbird program by ordering the tooling destroyed just to make sure money wouldn't be diverted from one of his pet programs? Who was it? Laird? McNamara?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 02:54:25 PM »
According to the NASA Mach calculator (http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/sound.html), the Mach 3.5 at 80,000 feet mentioned in the story corresponds to 2311 MPH . . .

Didn't a former SecDef kill the Blackbird program by ordering the tooling destroyed just to make sure money wouldn't be diverted from one of his pet programs? Who was it? Laird? McNamara?

Yes. It was McNamara. Also, his pet project failed horribly. It was supposed to be a heavy fighter jet for carrier use. In the worlds of the Admiral who testified about it in front of congress, "...there isn't enough thrust in all of Christendom to make that jet a decent fighter..." You should also read up about him and the USS Liberty.  :mad:

Torchman

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 03:40:11 PM »
Can you imagine what we could develope if "men of genius" were given that kind of support today? No commitees, six sigma, etc.. Literally the sky would be the limit.

taurusowner

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 03:41:53 PM »
Can you imagine what we could develope if "men of genius" were given that kind of support today? No commitees, six sigma, etc.. Literally the sky would be the limit.

Now I know people who think the entire space program shouldn't have happened because it was all white people.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 04:33:06 PM »
Now I know people who think the entire space program shouldn't have happened because it was all white people.
Just think - if they'd had a proper diversity program from the very beginning, we might be approaching the first static test of the Redstone rocket today!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:37:27 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain