Author Topic: Another "Journalist" Fires an AR-15  (Read 1920 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
Re: Another "Journalist" Fires an AR-15
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 05:51:53 PM »
I just read that in another site. These people are idiots.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 06:08:22 PM »
Next time give He-Man a short barrel AR or better yet a short barrel PSL with a brake in an indoor range next to the wall.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 06:29:23 PM »
Right after this "journalist" got done complaining about the AR, they should have handed him a Kimber Hunter with 180gr 30-06 Elk loads.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 06:49:51 PM »
Loan him my old M-44 carbine for indoor fun. Quick, someone hand him a 342 or something. This poor thing is going to be famous.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 06:52:39 PM »
Awww - just give him a big 'ol elephant gun. Preferably a double. And tell him to pull both triggers at once. While holding the stock an inch away from his shoulder so the gun will slow down before it hits him.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 07:00:35 PM »
ARs are pretty loud.  I bet with a sound suppressor on it he would have a much better time.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 07:14:27 PM »
ARs are pretty loud.  I bet with a sound suppressor on it he would have a much better time.

Are they louder than a Mini-14?  About the same?  (I don't know) My Mini has quite a bark to it.  I wouldn't call it "concussive" tho'.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 07:18:18 PM »
Are they louder than a Mini-14?  About the same?  (I don't know) My Mini has quite a bark to it.  I wouldn't call it "concussive" tho'.

Shooting mil-spec 5.56 rounds in an AR is a little bit louder than shooting 223 in a Mini 14 which IIRC you're not suppose to shoot 5.56 in only 223. 5.56 is a little hotter than 223. It's not much but noticeable. If both 223 the same unless the AR has a brake in which case a lot of the blast is directed to the rear and you will notice a big difference. It's quite noticeable indoors.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 07:23:38 PM »
You know the world is entirely too soft when such a pussy makes it to adult hood

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 07:28:38 PM »
He wrote the story the way he did to further the narrative that no one should be allowed to own such firearms.  He was deliberately trying to intimidate his readers, cause them to fear AR pattern rifles.  That was his plan from the start.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 07:29:49 PM »
Shooting mil-spec 5.56 rounds in an AR is a little bit louder than shooting 223 in a Mini 14 which IIRC you're not suppose to shoot 5.56 in only 223. 5.56 is a little hotter than 223. It's not much but noticeable. If both 223 the same unless the AR has a brake in which case a lot of the blast is directed to the rear and you will notice a big difference. It's quite noticeable indoors.

I shoot milspec 5.56 in mine.  I think the manual said 5.56 was fine for all Minis except the target models.  Mine is a law enforcement GB model; it might even have a bayonet lug under the front sight, I'm not sure.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 07:30:45 PM »
You know the world is entirely too soft when such a pussy makes it to adult hood

I wonder how many of them are pussies and how many of them are just writing crap like that for the liberal target audience? I mean, he seemed to fire the pistol okay. A 5.56 should be much easier with the ability to brace it, and I mean, I posted those video links of little girls shooting ARs like nothing. A grown man male, even a pussy, should be stronger than an 8 year old.

I guess it could be 50/50 though, pussy/liar.

EDIT: Rocketman posted my thoughts as I was typing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 07:33:31 PM »
I'd love to let him touch off a few black powder rounds out of my 1874 Sharps .45-70.
70 gr 2F under a 525 gr cast bullet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2021, 07:42:23 PM »
I wonder how many of them are pussies and how many of them are just writing crap like that for the liberal target audience? I mean, he seemed to fire the pistol okay. A 5.56 should be much easier with the ability to brace it, and I mean, I posted those video links of little girls shooting ARs like nothing. A grown man male, even a pussy, should be stronger than an 8 year old.

I guess it could be 50/50 though, pussy/liar.

EDIT: Rocketman posted my thoughts as I was typing.

A 5.56 is certainly loud enough to make you flinch if you have just marginal hearing protection.  (so is .30 Carbine.)  The recoil is just enough to let you know it's there -- should not be a problem for any adult.

I think the 50/50 thing is probably about right :)
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2021, 07:44:45 PM »
I shoot milspec 5.56 in mine.  I think the manual said 5.56 was fine for all Minis except the target models.  Mine is a law enforcement GB model; it might even have a bayonet lug under the front sight, I'm not sure.

I just checked their website and they say 5.56 on current Minis. I know at one time Mini 14s had 223 chambers. Not sure when they changed it.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 07:45:45 PM »
I hadn't realized there were braces for the Keltec CP33.  I need to get one of those.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 07:47:12 PM »
I wonder what they gave that guy.  As far as I know the only HK rifle that comes with a scope is their 7.62 long range package.

Was it a rental MR556 with a scope, or a test drive of a new gun, like he seemed to think it was?  Also even at current prices $1 a round for range 5.56 is kinda steep.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 07:54:00 PM »
I thought a Mini-14 sounded louder also.  Maybe it was partly the style of action and no muzzle device on my Dad's Mini.  It dates back to the 70's.  I just got a new recoil spring so I will try it again.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2021, 07:56:45 PM »
Regardless of all else, shooting an AR in an indoor range is going to be loud.  If all he had were ~20dB rated muffs, it would be loud. 

Also, if it was a pistol style with a muzzle brake, I can certainly understand the shock wave analogy.  7.62x39 out of a 12" barrel with a brake will rattle your teeth and that was outdoors (VZ58 pistol).

Still not excuse for all the dramatics.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2021, 07:57:56 PM »
So when Henry Parro opened the state's first indoor shooting range in Waterbury in late June, I didn't pay it much mind.
First indoor range in Vermont?  Is that true?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2021, 08:36:48 PM »
I wonder what they gave that guy.  As far as I know the only HK rifle that comes with a scope is their 7.62 long range package.

Was it a rental MR556 with a scope, or a test drive of a new gun, like he seemed to think it was?  Also even at current prices $1 a round for range 5.56 is kinda steep.

Good point. In the original article, he's the one who said it was an AR, but he also said it was a $3500 gun. Either or both of those could be incorrect. Not that you can't find a $3500 AR, but I'd expect them to give a new guy an M&P 15 or something.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 08:53:35 PM »
SCAR 17s get up there
- Calvin and Hobbes

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2021, 09:16:26 PM »
I just checked their website and they say 5.56 on current Minis. I know at one time Mini 14s had 223 chambers. Not sure when they changed it.

Not sure when they changed it, but my ranch rifle is a 551-xxx serial number  built in the mid/late 2000s (I got it before Obama took office, so 2007 or 2008), and it has a 5.56 chamber. IIRC the 550-xxx serial number range that started in 2005 is about when they retooled the Mini-14 line, so they might have changed it around then.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2021, 09:29:05 PM »
Awww - just give him a big 'ol elephant gun. Preferably a double. And tell him to pull both triggers at once. While holding the stock an inch away from his shoulder so the gun will slow down before it hits him.

My shoulder started to turn black and blue just from reading this.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 01:16:23 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.