Author Topic: A general for GOP POTUS candidate in 2012?  (Read 7127 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: A general for GOP POTUS candidate in 2012?
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 02:03:05 PM »
ABC news headline reads "McChrystal  Relieved of Command", althouh the text of the article says that the White House "Accepted his Resignation"

In .mil, those are two distinctly different actions.

I'd be interested to know which direction it went in.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 02:06:53 PM »
The CNN email newsalert that I received used the word 'fired'.  It will be interesting to see how his departure is characterized.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

SteveT

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »
It's pretty standard to "accept a resignation" when a high level official is being fired.

That said, we really don't know from the media what actual occurred.

If McChrystal would make a statement saying he resigned out of a lack of respect for the president, that would certainly clear things up big time.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 02:29:22 PM by SteveT »

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 06:02:09 PM »
I can't wait for the book.  I've had strong reservations about the direction of our efforts in A'stan.  Maybe now some of the fog will lift.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2010, 06:35:35 PM »
^^^^And are these high levels of debt incurred solely from the new policies and spending by the current President, or are they at least in part due to the policies and spending of previous Administrations or Congress?

BHO's deficits are averaging 10X GWB's average.  Size does matter.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2010, 06:43:10 PM »
 Obama knows that, long-term, the U.S. military--as it is--is not his ally if push comes to shove.

This is why I agreed with Chris Matthews, when he said that West Point was "enemy territory" for Obama.  Of course, Obama (and the Democrat Party generally) are the aggressors. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2010, 06:53:59 PM »
For the most part, I think he's already lost the military.  The men and women in the armed forces are serving the country, not the president, even though he is Commander-in-Chief.  I believe most will fulfill the duty they have imposed on themselves in serving the country.  What will worry me is if we start seeing people taking dishonorable discharges or the like in order to get OUT.

I don't think Obama ever had the military, so they weren't his to lose. There was (and is) absolutely nothing about Obama for a military person of any rank to respect. Between all this and what I perceive as widespread disaffection over the abuse of stop loss, I predict that regular Army enlistments will go down, fewer people will opt to remain in the reserves, and far fewer will be enlisting in the National Guard because the NG is not being used like a NG, it is being used like regular Army. If Obama wins a second term, I think we will be forced to reinstitute the draft just to maintain a minimal level of military manpower.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2010, 07:50:50 PM »
My understanding is that officers other than Generals may not quit.

Because Generals are actually commissioned by Congress, and not the President, they may resign at any time.

But, I think I've been wrong before, once or twice.   ;)  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

All Officers receive their Commssions and promotions from Congress.  Officers can resign their commssions pretty much* at any time.

*- Uncle Sugar may or may not accept or be happy with you if and when you choose to do this.  YMMV... 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2010, 04:59:22 AM »
Actually, commissioned officers serve at the pleasure of the President. When they're selected by a promotion board for advancement, the list must be confirmed by the Congress before promotions take place. But the President is their "boss."

TC
TC
RT Refugee