Author Topic: The Sanity Platform  (Read 7196 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: The Sanity Platform
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2012, 08:15:20 PM »
Service =/= MI.

Remember in the book, the girl (Carmen Ibanez) became a Pilot and their other friend ended doing intelligence work (Been a long time since I read the book, so I disremember.)

Anyway, it all counts as service.   From Wikipedia:

The overall theme of the book is that social responsibility requires being prepared to make individual sacrifice. Heinlein's Terran Federation is a limited democracy, with aspects of a meritocracy in regard to full citizenship, based on voluntarily assuming a responsibility for the common weal. Suffrage can only be earned by those willing to serve their society by at least two years of volunteer Federal Service – "the franchise is today limited to discharged veterans", (ch. XII), instead of, as Heinlein would later note, anyone "...who is 18 years old and has a body temperature near 37 °C"[16] The Federation is required to find a place for anyone who desires to serve, regardless of his skill or aptitude (this also includes service ranging from teaching to dangerous non-military work such as serving as experimental medical test subjects to military service -- such as Rico's Mobile Infantry).

There is an explicit contrast to the "democracies of the 20th century", which according to the novel, collapsed because "people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted... and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2012, 09:08:05 PM »
Service and testing requirements for voting have good intentions but are likely bad ideas.

As with any such rules, imagine the worst possible person in charge of said rule.

Like the founders, we should make rules that are fairly robust to bad actors (tyranny, of course would outright ignore the rules) and not dependent on always having good, honorable persons in office.

(Obviously they weren't perfect given FDR's example of ignoring precedent and the plain language of the constitution. However, I would say it still qualifies as "fairly robust" given how long it took to get to that point.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2012, 12:33:37 AM »
Why is this a permanent ban?  (and a single felony on your list was not)  There should be a path to redemption for anybody who is not incarcerated at the time.

Those in positions of extreme trust and power should be held to far higher standards. Also for minor f-ups in the military it isn't an automatic Dishonorable discharge. You have to do something rather grievous to warrant it.

I was just trying to think WTF Stephen Hawking would be able to do in the MI.

I would argue that teaching is a public service. Professor Hawking would have earned his franchise many times over.

Sorry I bounced earlier, had a Marine B-Day even to attend. As I have to get to sleep for work tomorrow I'll try to assemble all the ideas and such into a single post for further tweaking/critiquing.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2012, 02:24:42 AM »
>Also for minor f-ups in the military it isn't an automatic Dishonorable discharge. You have to do something rather grievous to warrant it. <

Not quite true (or wasn't when I was in). Know of at least one person who was given a Dis for "refusing alcohol treatment", after being jerked around with it for a few weeks...

I would simply limit the franchise to anyone who is paying taxes. I'm actually ok with a federal income tax, so long as the feds are milited to only utilizing their actual constitutional authority. At that point, a small fed income tax would be sustainable. Attach the franchise to that.

Keeps the "welfare queens" and professional criminals out of the polls
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2012, 09:01:36 AM »
We'd be screwed totally if the electorate was dominated by your average enlisted soldier
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2012, 02:05:58 PM »
Anyone advocating sanity or a sane platform for governance would be soundly trounced on election day.

Illusion, delusion and distraction are the order of the day.

Any sane platform would require dealing with reality and hard truths.

As long as the masses are housed, fed and entertained there will be no sanity. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2012, 02:08:55 PM »
We'd be screwed totally if the electorate was dominated by your average enlisted soldier

Free beer and titties.would be the only campaign issues.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »
Free beer and titties.would be the only campaign issues.

Who's payin' for them titties?   [popcorn]
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2012, 02:28:02 PM »
You better not be taking from my paycheck to pay for free titties for some 47 percenter, I'll tell you what!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2012, 04:27:16 PM »
Free beer and [ahem, chicks] would be the only campaign issues.

Compared to the majority that's currently deciding our elections, I'm not seeing a downside.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2012, 05:35:30 PM »

In San Francisco it could be the tax payers.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2012, 07:54:40 PM »

Appeal to the female campaigner. If they'll flash for beads at Mardes Gras, think of what they'd do for a CAUSE.  ;)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds