Author Topic: Progressiveism in action: the story of Detroit as told by street view  (Read 7120 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
http://goobingdetroit.tumblr.com/

Detroit is becoiming less of an example of liberal failure and more of a fascinating case study in what happens when an urban area returns to wilderness.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

dogmush

• friend
damn

that's some impressive collapse.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Given the number of them subject to foreclosure for back taxes, it seems like the city could make a fortune just bulldozing the ones that can't be repaired, replatting and rezoning the adjacent vacant lots into larger multifamily residential or industrial, and selling them off cheap.  The trick would be driving out the people that made them that way (a lot of that wasn't just unassisted decay, it was vandalism and/or just plain trashy people) so that good ones will come in to fill the residential and staff the industrial, then commercial values would pick up.

dogmush

• friend
What good folks would move to Detroit even if the lots were free?

What employment is available there for good folks?

Not snark, I can't think of anything that would convince me* to move to Detroit.  The kind of money that a company would have to offer me to work there would allow me to live elsewhere and commute in.

*Only slightly arrogant, I have two houses, have improved and added value to both of them since purchase, and even the one I rent out, I make sure it is maintained, clean and rented to folks that will at least not lower it's value.  I imagine I'm the kind of land owner cities would want to court.

brimic

• friends

What employment is available there for good folks?

Not snark, I can't think of anything that would convince me* to move to Detroit.  The kind of money that a company would have to offer me to work there would allow me to live elsewhere and commute in.

*Only slightly arrogant, I have two houses, have improved and added value to both of them since purchase, and even the one I rent out, I make sure it is maintained, clean and rented to folks that will at least not lower it's value.  I imagine I'm the kind of land owner cities would want to court.

Yes, especially since you are probably the type that makes your property tax payments....
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
Several years ago I read about someone making an effort to "recruit" good folks to come to Detroit, with the enticement of "free" properties.

Now granted, many of these properties were "fixer uppers" even in cases where all the wiring and plumbing HADN'T been looted, but apparently the city's requirement for a great many permits, licenses, and mandatory building code upgrades in order to do ANY property rehab work was both daunting in extent and very expensive to accomplish, to the point where the "free" properties were actually rather pricey.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Several years ago I read about someone making an effort to "recruit" good folks to come to Detroit, with the enticement of "free" properties.

Now granted, many of these properties were "fixer uppers" even in cases where all the wiring and plumbing HADN'T been looted, but apparently the city's requirement for a great many permits, licenses, and mandatory building code upgrades in order to do ANY property rehab work was both daunting in extent and very expensive to accomplish, to the point where the "free" properties were actually rather pricey.

Sometimes the bureaucritters just don't learn.   

How about Bulldoze the lots, re-plat, and $25 building permit for everything to put up a house.  Land sold at marginal cost. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
If they ever manage to push slave reparations through I suggest we give everyone that rates them 40 acres of Detroit and a mule.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Why even sell the land?  Urban Homesteading (not the hippy-dippy self-sufficient home gardening with chickens & goats crap) has worked - you get to file a claim on the land and after X continuous years of living there with a dwelling that was up to code when erected, and taxes paid each year, the title passes to you.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Why even sell the land?  Urban Homesteading (not the hippy-dippy self-sufficient home gardening with chickens & goats crap) has worked - you get to file a claim on the land and after X continuous years of living there with a dwelling that was up to code when erected, and taxes paid each year, the title passes to you.

stay safe.

Taxes regime is brutal.

On a $100k house, it's $6,774 in taxes for your primary residence. $8,575 for rental, business or secondary residence.
Source: https://treas-secure.state.mi.us/ptestimator/PTEstimator.asp
Source: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/taxes/2013_Total_Rates_450527_7.pdf

Personal taxes are very high as well. 18th highest or 12th highest in the nation, for the least amount of services.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
I have read elsewhere of some proposals to bulldoze square blocks of decayed housing in Detroit and turn it into some sort of urban farmland.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Taxes regime is brutal.

On a $100k house, it's $6,774 in taxes for your primary residence. $8,575 for rental, business or secondary residence.

Personal taxes are very high as well. 18th highest or 12th highest in the nation, for the least amount of services.

HOLY CRAP!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• friend
When the guy from Californistan says "HOLY CRAP" at your tax rates, there's a real problem.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Instead of trying to attract people, it might just be better to bulldoze everything and let nature take it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

SADShooter

• friend
Instead of trying to attract people, it might just be better to bulldoze everything and let nature take it.

Maybe leave a more egregious section "standing" as a museum of object warning and call it Detroitus.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
This

Taxes regime is brutal.

and this

make me think that

The trick would be driving out the people that made them that way (a lot of that wasn't just unassisted decay,

are at least partially in city hall.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
When the guy from Californistan says "HOLY CRAP" at your tax rates, there's a real problem.

Thread veer: property taxes in California are actually pretty reasonable.

From http://homeguides.sfgate.com/average-property-tax-rates-california-51758.html :

In California, the assessed value is the property price at the last sale plus no more than a 2 percent increase per year.
Property tax rates in California generally fall within the range of 1.1 percent to 1.6 percent of assessed value, with an average close to 1.25 percent.

State income taxes and sales taxes are another story . . .
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Sad, that. Some of those old places looked kinda cool.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
It takes a constant effort to maintain civilization. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• friend
Thread veer: property taxes in California are actually pretty reasonable.

From http://homeguides.sfgate.com/average-property-tax-rates-california-51758.html :

State income taxes and sales taxes are another story . . .

Is that a result of Prop 13?

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Is that a result of Prop 13?

Yup.  Of course, the Left in Cali keep making noises about repealing it . . .
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Progressiveism in action: the story of Detroit as told by street view
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 02:41:29 PM »
On a $100k house,

Is that value taking into account the "it's in f'ing Detroit" factor?  Because I'm thinking what sells for $100k elsewhere wouldn't be worth the match to set fire to it in Detroit.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 10:16:29 PM »
Taxes regime is brutal.

Holy crap - that is 3x what I pay on a house worth 2.5x as much.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 09:39:41 AM »
Taxes regime is brutal.

:O

I pay that, on a house worth almost 3x that much, in a state with no income tax, and 911 will get me a dozen cops from two agencies, fire dept or a bambulance in under 5 minutes.

An interesting thing about Detroit is the riverfront renaissance going on now.  http://www.mlive.com/business/detroit/index.ssf/2013/06/globe_building_being_demolishe.html
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20080811/DM02/664780334/riverfront-revival
Detroit might just rise from the ashes.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 10:03:43 AM »
I pay less than 10% of that on a house worth 1.7X that. I have full police, fire and EMT services, as well as weekly trash and recycling pickup. When I was paying $4500 on a $170K house, and yard waste was only picked up weekly from the end of October until the end of November. They only picked up grass clippings. No branches or such.

Here they take clippings, branches, lumber, TV's, furniture or whatever you put out. They pick that stuff up weekly, if some scavenger doesn't take it first.