Author Topic: Other good, open topic discussion boards?  (Read 1448 times)

natedog

• friend
Other good, open topic discussion boards?
« on: November 29, 2005, 09:23:26 PM »
Any other good general discussion boards out there? Something with more activity than APS, but fewer idiots than AR15.com.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 04:59:18 AM »
Well you could always try out the newsgroups on USENET...

There are literall 1000's (over 40,000 last time I checked) different newsgroups available that cover just about any topic one could possibly be interested in.

The problem there though is not so much with the idiots (of which there are not a few) but the out and out crazies. I use the game groups and a digital SLR group to get information every now and then and they're actually pretty tame. Some of the newsgroups out there though make the guys at DU look like totally reasonable human beings with a really firm grip on reality in comparison.

It's a jungle out there in USENET - make sure you go there armed to the teeth and ready for bear!
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 05:13:08 AM »
Is there anything on usenet anymore besides spam?  I haven't been out there in at least 5 years.  

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 05:30:24 AM »
Quote from: natedog
Any other good general discussion boards out there? Something with more activity than APS, but fewer idiots than AR15.com.
The best thing to do is find some forums for any other interests you have that have open formats or an off-topic board.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 09:06:01 AM »
Usenet is not too bad, if you don't mind digging through spam.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 09:34:43 AM »
Quote from: jefnvk
Usenet is not too bad, if you don't mind digging through spam.
Very little spam in the game groups - the ones that start out ibm.sys.pc.games.***. The digital SLR group I frequent gets no spam as far as I know. OH - WAIT - you mean spam resulting from using usenet. Easy - just put a fake e'mail address in both the reply to and e'mail address fields in the account setup of whatever news reader program you use. Spammers can't mine what isn't there.

If I'm in a really pissy mood I'll occasionally drop by one of the numerous alt.religion.* or alt.politics.* groups and drop the ole trolling lure in the water. That can be a real hoot.

Try going to a hardcore religion newsgroup and start a thread about evolution, or complain that GOD must be a real psycho to have had his own son tortured to death - that's always good for a few laughs.

On the politics groups it is a little harder to start a good troll as the average IQ level seems to be about 40 or so points higher than one finds on the religion groups.

Its all FUN FUN FUN... it is just so easy to spin people up and watch the resulting spatter - hell - it ain't that hard to spin me up - maybe that's why I like trolling usenet.

Mostly though I've not found any internet forum be it usenet or web based more civilized than THR or APS. 99% of my postings are on THR or here. AND though I'm sure some on THR and here imagine me to be quite aggressive, opinionated and maybe even a bit whacked - compared to the usenet norm I'm a fluffy baby kitty.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 01:47:23 PM »
Werewolf,

How did you know we all have discussing you and labeling you as a fluffy baby kitty.
Who let out the secret?  Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 03:38:45 PM »
There's a pretty good forum at American Backyard.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

pauli

• http://episteme.arstechnica.com
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 07:42:32 PM »
i do most of my forum dwelling at thr and ars technica. of course, thr doesn't allow non topical discussion, and ars doesn't allow it for free.

the real question is, what sort of a community are you looking for.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 04:11:43 AM »
If you do post on Usenet, use a throwaway address that doesn't forward mail to you. That way, no spam.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org