Author Topic: "Treasure Hunters" want Bin Laden's body  (Read 6355 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
"Treasure Hunters" want Bin Laden's body
« on: June 12, 2011, 01:29:16 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2002491/Bill-Warren-launches-underwater-search-Osama-Bin-Ladens-body.html

Dollars to donuts the US Navy sewed his shroud with detcord and stuffed the body with C4, and rigged the system to a depth sensor to go off at 500 feet above the sea floor.  Little shreds of Bin Laden guts drifting slowly to the sea bed, getting snatched up by octopi and jellyfish until the last little bits of Bin Laden fish poop make it down to the shrimp and plankton underneath it all.

Ah, happy thoughts. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: "Treasure Hunters" want Bin Laden's body
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 02:41:02 PM »
 ???  Good grief.  The world has gone nutz.  Why would anyone want a decaying, dead corpse? 
Maybe that Woods Hole guy that discovered the Titanic could go out and .... nah, that guy would never do this; he has too much decency and common sense. 
The cooky ideas some people have just leave me shaking my head. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 07:35:13 PM »
I still maintain that his head would've been a fine prize,  stuck on a trident at Coronado Island...

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 08:32:43 PM »
Why would anyone want a decaying, dead corpse? 

Because live corpses are worthless.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 08:51:47 PM »
I still maintain that his head would've been a fine prize,  stuck on a trident at Coronado Island...

Or they could have preserved it and kept it on display at the Smithsonian. On a pike, of course.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 08:52:01 PM »
:facepalm:  
"Live corpses" is an oxymaroon.   [tinfoil] ;/

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 10:58:33 PM »
Or they could have preserved it and kept it on display at the Smithsonian. On a pike, of course.

Of course.  And maybe animate it with some clever hydraulics and a little speaker. 

Get him to do the Oscar Meyer wiener song or sing the praises of Jimmy Dean pork sausage.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 11:10:15 PM »

Going for the thread drift award, looking for google images gives me a lot of useless pictures of fish (pike), and this:

Which is cool.

And this: Osama's head on a pike for Sarah, which is an interesting title but not worth reading.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 11:15:35 PM »

King Philip's head was displayed on a pike in Plymouth for 20 years...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 12:09:56 AM »
Has Wonder Woman always had man legs, and I just now noticed?  =|

And "dead corpse" is a redundancy.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 12:17:47 AM »

And "dead corpse" is a redundancy.
True, that.  I never said I was perfect.   =D

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 01:44:54 AM »
Take a look at the history of Christian relics.  There is money to be made.

Even if OBL's corpse is never recovered we may expect a brisk trade in relics.  We may also expect the deaths of frauds as high rollers do DNA comparisons to living relatives of OBL.

P.T. Barnum was right:  there's one born every minute.  Hell, even soggy pulled pork sandwiches and kosher hotdogs will command thousands of dollars.  =D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:52:30 AM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 10:12:58 PM »

No, live corpses is zombies.

Sorry, couldn't let that one pass, especially since this thread has already careened into the ditch.   :laugh:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 10:23:55 PM »
Redundancy - "Raid kills bugs dead!"

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 10:31:58 PM »
Take a look at the history of Christian relics.  There is money to be made.

Even if OBL's corpse is never recovered we may expect a brisk trade in relics.  We may also expect the deaths of frauds as high rollers do DNA comparisons to living relatives of OBL.

A man who does that exposes himself to fatwas as a grave desecrator.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 10:14:23 AM »
A man who does that exposes himself to fatwas as a grave desecrator.
So if I dislike someone, I should use his name as an alias when I desecrate some ayatollah's grave?   >:D

As for the OP . . . finding a body dumped somewhere in the ocean that's been feeding fish for a while already? What a bunch of malarky. Unless he's incredibly stupid, he KNOWS the chances of finding ANY remains are less than winning the Mega Millions jackpot . . . the guy just wants his 15 minutes of fame.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 11:07:38 AM »
^^^ I wonder if the body could still be intact if the canvas shroud/bag was intact.  Or would the shroud be attacked by sea life attracted by odors or residual blood?  With all the WWII burials at sea, I wonder if any diver has ever found an intact shroud.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 11:20:20 AM »
^^^ I wonder if the body could still be intact if the canvas shroud/bag was intact.  Or would the shroud be attacked by sea life attracted by odors or residual blood?  With all the WWII burials at sea, I wonder if any diver has ever found an intact shroud.

Canvas shrouds would degrade, but something I noted during the burials at sea that we did on the Iwo for deceased veterans was that they were burried in ventilated metal caskets, sort of like the kind used to transport remains home from the sandbox, but weighted at the feet and with holes drilled in to allow the air to escape. Generally though we did those in deep enough water that even divers running on latest mixed gas or other deep diving systems wouldn't be able to go deep enough to find them.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 12:33:13 PM »
This guy is going to get a cable channel to pony up some of the money to do a special on the "Hunt for Bin Laden's Body."  I wonder if Geraldo will host it?   ;/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 12:37:01 PM »
This guy is going to get a cable channel to pony up some of the money to do a special on the "Hunt for Bin Laden's Body."  I wonder if Geraldo will host it?   ;/ 
Maybe he'll hire the cable channel "ghost hunter" guys . . . or maybe the ones who go out looking for Sasquatch and sea monsters . . .  ;/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain