Author Topic: Local Politics Can Be Fun, Too: The Mayor of our Dreams  (Read 774 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Local Politics Can Be Fun, Too: The Mayor of our Dreams
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:51:20 PM »
http://www.dallasobserver.com/2011-05-19/news/saying-goodbye-to-dwaine-caraway-the-mayor-of-our-dreams/

Saying Goodbye to Dwaine Caraway, the Mayor of our Dreams

The author, Jim Schutze, is a big, fat, lefty.  But, he is honest about his big, fat, lefty-ism and can be painfully hilarious when writing about Dallas politics.

...Next month, by law, a new mayor of Dallas must be sworn in, and the curtain must fall on this brief, unlikely and delightful chapter in the history of City Hall. Acting Mayor Dwaine Caraway—he of controversial keys to the city and embarrassing domestic incidents—will return to being a regular city council member, and reporters like me will have to get back to work. The going-back-to-work part makes me sad—sadder, perhaps, than you could know...

...Since his swearing in on February 26, my life has been a lotus-eater's Nirvana. I loll in bed until early afternoon, eating grapes. Then, in a voice dripping with lazy self-indulgence, I call out, "I suppose it's time for someone to come and tell me what Mayor Dwaine has done this day."

It's always something.

Right before he was to become acting mayor, for instance, Caraway gave an honorary key to the city to Michael Vick, the football player and convicted dog-torturer. Do you have any idea what that's worth to me?...

...You don't know how I suffer. You've never seen me on my knees with clasped hands at my bedside at night, whispering, "...and if just once, in your great wisdom, you could allow the mayor to give the keys to the city to a convicted dog-torturer..."

Read it all, it is worth your time.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton