Author Topic: Good Day for the USMC  (Read 5790 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Good Day for the USMC
« on: November 25, 2008, 01:40:50 PM »
Good work by the jarheads.

http://www.military.com/news/article/marine-corps-news/marine-makes-insurgents-pay-the-price.html?col=1186032325324

Marine Makes Insurgents Pay the Price
November 18, 2008
Marine Corps News|by Cpl. James M. Mercure

FARAH PROVINCE, Afghanistan — In the city of Shewan, approximately 250 insurgents ambushed 30 Marines and paid a heavy price for it.

Shewan has historically been a safe haven for insurgents, who used to plan and stage attacks against Coalition Forces in the Bala Baluk district.

The city is home to several major insurgent leaders. Reports indicate that more than 250 full time fighters reside in the city and in the surrounding villages.

Shewan had been a thorn in the side of Task Force 2d Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, Special Purpose Marine Air Ground Task Force Afghanistan throughout the Marines’ deployment here in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, because it controls an important supply route into the Bala Baluk district. Opening the route was key to continuing combat operations in the area.

“The day started out with a 10-kilometer patrol with elements mounted and dismounted, so by the time we got to Shewan, we were pretty beat,” said a designated marksman who requested to remain unidentified. “Our vehicles came under a barrage of enemy RPGs (rocket propelled grenades) and machine gun fire. One of our ‘humvees’ was disabled from RPG fire, and the Marines inside dismounted and laid down suppression fire so they could evacuate a Marine who was knocked unconscious from the blast.”

The vicious attack that left the humvee destroyed and several of the Marines pinned down in the kill zone sparked an intense eight-hour battle as the platoon desperately fought to recover their comrades. After recovering the Marines trapped in the kill zone, another platoon sergeant personally led numerous attacks on enemy fortified positions while the platoon fought house to house and trench to trench in order to clear through the enemy ambush site.

“The biggest thing to take from that day is what Marines can accomplish when they’re given the opportunity to fight,” the sniper said. “A small group of Marines met a numerically superior force and embarrassed them in their own backyard. The insurgents told the townspeople that they were stronger than the Americans, and that day we showed them they were wrong.”

During the battle, the designated marksman single handedly thwarted a company-sized enemy RPG and machinegun ambush by reportedly killing 20 enemy fighters with his devastatingly accurate precision fire. He selflessly exposed himself time and again to intense enemy fire during a critical point in the eight-hour battle for Shewan in order to kill any enemy combatants who attempted to engage or maneuver on the Marines in the kill zone. What made his actions even more impressive was the fact that he didn’t miss any shots, despite the enemies’ rounds impacting within a foot of his fighting position.

“I was in my own little world,” the young corporal said. “I wasn’t even aware of a lot of the rounds impacting near my position, because I was concentrating so hard on making sure my rounds were on target.”

After calling for close-air support, the small group of Marines pushed forward and broke the enemies’ spirit as many of them dropped their weapons and fled the battlefield. At the end of the battle, the Marines had reduced an enemy stronghold, killed more than 50 insurgents and wounded several more.

“I didn’t realize how many bad guys there were until we had broken through the enemies’ lines and forced them to retreat. It was roughly 250 insurgents against 30 of us,” the corporal said. “It was a good day for the Marine Corps. We killed a lot of bad guys, and none of our guys were seriously injured.”
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

jackdanson

• friend
Re: Good Day for the USMC
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 01:45:59 PM »
Makes me feel all patriotic and stuff.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 01:58:18 PM »
“The biggest thing to take from that day is what Marines can accomplish when they’re given the opportunity to fight,” the sniper said. “A small group of Marines met a numerically superior force and embarrassed them in their own backyard. The insurgents told the townspeople that they were stronger than the Americans, and that day we showed them they were wrong.”

There are things that will make an old Marine cry. 
Semper fi, boys, nice work!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 02:28:32 PM »
Stupid insurgents, went and pissed off a platoon of Marines.  See how that works for you?

Oorah!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 02:34:01 PM »
I like how the Marines define "seriously injured." =D

Let's see, one of your guys took a ArrrPahGey-Cem' to the teeth and knocked him into next week and then out, but Cpl. Semper Fi sez, "no one really got hurt." =D :cool:
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 03:04:35 PM »
Amazing story. Good job Marines.

I wonder if the DM will get a Medal of Honor.

There's are really cool books yet to be written about this war. I already read Lone Survivor. Good stuff.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 03:48:11 PM by freedom lover »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 03:28:10 PM »
This is one of the most heatwarming stories I've read all week - a big "THUMBS UP" to our Marines. And yes, the DM ought to get a medal. And a promotion.  =D

But on the flip side . . . 50+ dead Afghan terrorists, and no dead Marines?

Uh oh.

There are no doubt people within the DC beltway who see a problem with this. I can just see some stateside REMF in Bush's JAG corps (possibly egged on by Representative Murtha) rubbing his hands together and thinking up what kind of charges to file for the . . . over-reaction . . . of our men.  :mad:

It's easy to imagine some JAG lawyer questioning the DM and demanding he account for each and every shot and justify everything he did - in detail.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 03:49:39 PM »
It's easy to imagine some JAG lawyer questioning the DM and demanding he account for each and every shot and justify everything he did - in detail.

You seriously think they would do that in a war? What's JAG?

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 04:00:21 PM »
What's JAG?
Judge Advocate General.
Military lawyers.
Look, tiny text!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 04:05:57 PM »
Judge Advocate General. Kind of like a miltary investigative/legal division IIRC. I talked to JAG once concerning the near gutting with a broken wine bottle of my roommate by a PO'd slush funder over $20. Which I never could understand because I wasn't there at the time and I knew nothing about the debt. I came home to a pretty bloodied up room though. Seaman Lacey, a cooky, did the cutting on can't recall his name, the ships barber. Seaman Lacey went on an all expenses paid vacation to a place called Leavenworth for his trouble.

Beat by the click of a mouse...  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 04:46:33 PM »
You seriously think they would do that in a war? What's JAG?

Yes.

The legal rulings since the beginning of the WOT are pretty horrendous for actually waging war and protecting the country.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 05:07:11 PM »
Yes.

The legal rulings since the beginning of the WOT are pretty horrendous for actually waging war and protecting the country.

However, there have been hundreds of similar encounters where our boys have sent lots of jihadis to their 72 virgins with an express ticket.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 06:15:05 PM »
1,2,3,4;
I love the Marine Corps.

=D
7-11 was a part time job.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 06:24:13 PM »
Good work by the jarheads.

Concur.

You seriously think they would do that in a war?
Just ask Staff Sgt. Frank D. Wuterich.

Just another day in The crotch.  =D

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 11:01:03 PM »
Hang the JAG right next to Murtah or what the hell every the traitorous  sucker's name is, in effigy, of course.

Outstanding job, Marines!

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 11:06:35 PM »

"The Marines involved in the shoot-out have been placed on paid administrative leave, until a hearing is conducted." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 11:56:03 PM »
America. Awesome. Questions?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 12:05:50 AM »
Doesn't anyone see a problem with this?

"In the city of Shewan, approximately 250 insurgents ambushed 30 Marines and paid a heavy price for it.

Shewan has historically been a safe haven for insurgents, who used to plan and stage attacks against Coalition Forces in the Bala Baluk district."

FUT THE WHUCK was command doing sending 30 Marines on what sounds like a very exposed patrol when they apparently had reason to believe the odds were roughly 8.5 to 1 AGAINST the Marines?

Based solely on the read alone, I'd say it sounds as if someone at command has a SERIOUS case of "One Riot, One Ranger" envy.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 12:49:09 AM »
From: http://mccaffertyspub.blogspot.com/2007/10/three-of-my-favorite-jokes.html

A large group of Al Qaeda terrorists are traveling down an Iraqi road when they hear a voice call from behind a sand dune. "One American soldier is better than ten Al Qaeda."

The Al Qaeda commander quickly orders 10 of his best men over the dune. Immediately a gun-battle breaks out, continues for a few minutes, and then only silence prevails.

The voice once again calls out this time saying "One American soldier is better than one hundred Al Qaeda."

The Al Qaeda commander angrily sends 100 of his best killers over the dune and again a huge gun fight ensues.

After 10 minutes of battle, again one hears only silence.

The American soldier’s voice calls out this time "One American soldier is better than one thousand Al Qaeda."

By now the Al Qaeda commander is totally enraged, so he musters 1000 fierce fighters and orders them over to the other side of the sand dune. Ak47 fire, machine guns, grenades, rockets and cannon fire all ring out as a terrific battle is fought.

But, eventually, once again there is just silence.

Soon one badly wounded Al Qaeda fighter crawls back over the dune to his commander, gripping the commander’s coat with his blood drenched hand the terrorist tells his commander in his dying words...

“Don't send any more men. It's a trap. There are two of them.”

AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 07:44:43 AM »
Doesn't anyone see a problem with this?

"In the city of Shewan, approximately 250 insurgents ambushed 30 Marines and paid a heavy price for it.

Shewan has historically been a safe haven for insurgents, who used to plan and stage attacks against Coalition Forces in the Bala Baluk district."

FUT THE WHUCK was command doing sending 30 Marines on what sounds like a very exposed patrol when they apparently had reason to believe the odds were roughly 8.5 to 1 AGAINST the Marines?

Based solely on the read alone, I'd say it sounds as if someone at command has a SERIOUS case of "One Riot, One Ranger" envy.

Welcome to the Marine Corps mentality.  See a hornets nest?  Poke it and kill every MFing hornet in the bunch.  Unlike the other services, our warrior ethos goes all the way to the top.
Historically small units of Marines have always been willing and able to deliver death and misery to much larger units of the enemy.
JD

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 08:15:02 AM »
"Historically small units of Marines have always been willing and able to deliver death and misery to much larger units of the enemy."

I'm not saying that's not the case, that Marines are cranially challenged in that manner.

But the overall line of thinking, espeically when you're trying to flush out and destroy these pukes, is seriously flawed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 09:06:17 AM »
Welcome to the Marine Corps mentality.  See a hornets nest?  Poke it and kill every MFing hornet in the bunch.  Unlike the other services, our warrior ethos goes all the way to the top.
Historically small units of Marines have always been willing and able to deliver death and misery to much larger units of the enemy.

My unit had a similar mentality.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 09:51:26 AM »
Another possibility is that the unit strength was sufficient to deal with the normal activity in the area.  It seems that on this occasion, the vast majority of the enemy decided to try and wipe out the unit.  That indicates that on prior occasions, the activity was far less.  So, a unit capable of handling the normal activity went into an area, got ambushed, and showed that it was capable of handling anything thrown at it.

That does require the normal Marine mentality, but not in the perjorative sense.  They were dealt an unexpected hand against overwhelming odds and refused to do anything but win. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 09:58:43 AM »
OK, reading ONLY the story: "Reports indicate that more than 250 full time fighters reside in the city and in the surrounding villages."

It seems to me that the Marine commanders knew the potential for large-scale hostile activity.

Even if there had been only low-level activity in the past, basing current actions on past results, given the estimates of opposing forces in the area, still doesn't seem to be a very good idea. It just seems to be a potential recipe for disaster if the enemy does sortie in force.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 10:27:04 AM »
Mike,

Don't forget that Marines have access to "Force-Multipliers" that the Jihadi's don't.... Things like Helicopter Gunships, Close Air Support, Artillery, and rapid reinforcement/resupply by Ground or Air (Helicopter).

Yeah, the story reads "30 Marines vs 250+ Jihadi's", but once you factor in the CAS, etc.  It's really more like 10,000 vs 250.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.