Author Topic: Range Rules & the Mindset Behind Them  (Read 6175 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Range Rules & the Mindset Behind Them
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 10:22:43 AM »
Of all the ranges I've shot at, the NRA HQ Range in Fairfax has probably the best balance of rules and ROs.  They're strict without being draconian, but not so strict you can't shoot in a reasonable manner.  That's probably why I see very little truly reckless gun handling and generally feel pretty safe (as long as I'm not sharing a booth with Irwin and his 45acp reloads).

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 10:26:44 AM »
Of all the ranges I've shot at, the NRA HQ Range in Fairfax has probably the best balance of rules and ROs.  They're strict without being draconian, but not so strict you can't shoot in a reasonable manner.  That's probably why I see very little truly reckless gun handling and generally feel pretty safe (as long as I'm not sharing a booth with Irwin and his 45acp reloads).

Chris

Aww, shooting next to some reloaders can be fun, as long as they're in the next booth, and there's a wall between. You can hear how each round sounds different, plus the overcharges and hangfires. :lol:

BANG BANG POW BLAM POW BANG *BLAM!!!* ... *pause* BANG POW BANG BLAM click click click PFHH *pause* BLAM "Sh__!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 10:52:14 AM »
Actually, I'm an avid reloader as well.  I shoot very little factory ammo.  I like teasing Mike about his 45acp reloads because he had one overcharge in many decades and I was there to witness it. :D

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 10:54:46 AM »
Eh.

That was just a mildly warm load...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 10:57:42 AM »
Eh.

That was just a mildly warm load...

Ouch.  Not to inspire thread drift, but what did it do to the firearm?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 10:59:30 AM »
They're talking about bump firing, IMO. Because idiots can and have lost control of their weapon when doing that, especially at the hip, especially while drinking.

Why would anybody allow people who are drinking into a shooting range?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 11:02:14 AM »
"Ouch.  Not to inspire thread drift, but what did it do to the firearm?"

Trashed the magazine.

No other damage.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 11:08:48 AM »
The amusing part was, after firing the "warm" load, he slammed the gun down on the bench and backed up a step with a shocked expression on his face.  I wasn't paying close attention to him while he was shooting, but I heard the report when he fired that round and it was louder than the others.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 11:11:23 AM »
Actually, I'm an avid reloader as well.  I shoot very little factory ammo.  I like teasing Mike about his 45acp reloads because he had one overcharge in many decades and I was there to witness it. :D

Chris

Well, the GOOD reloaders, you don't notice. It's only the ones who either have an attention deficit or very poor vision who make it sound like a battle in a third-world country next to you. ;)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 01:24:51 PM »
Nice one Mike...  :lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 01:32:25 PM »