Author Topic: Hey, That's Entrapment!: Kopbusters.com Honey Pot Sting  (Read 19942 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Hey, That's Entrapment!: Kopbusters.com Honey Pot Sting
« on: December 09, 2008, 03:04:39 PM »
Have you ever seen the "To Catch a Predator" shows where a TV show works with an anti-child-molester group and police to lure child molesters into a trap where they get caught, filmed, and humiliated in front of uncounted numbers of viewers?

Well, the following is similar, but it is a drug-lealization group that sets up a trap to lure dirty cops and police departments.

This may be too good to be true. 

Even if it is, the concept is good and ought to be imitated by others as a check on LEO abuse and corruption.

Video and articles below.

Video of Local News Channel Story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Fu4YVH8nA

Text and Raw Video Footage of Raid
http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Raw_footage_from_KopBusters_first_sting_1207.html

Kopbusters Website
http://www.kopbusters.com/

http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2008_12_07-2008_12_13.shtml#1228779171

[Orin Kerr, December 8, 2008 at 6:32pm]
KopBusters Reality Show: RawStory has an interesting post on what apparently is a new reality show, KopBusters. As I understand it, the idea behind the show is to give police officers an opportunity to engage in misconduct: If an officer takes the bait, the show films the officer engaging in the misconduct and creates a show about it. [UPDATE: Some of the details about the show and the first episode seem sort of fishy at this stage, so perhaps it is best to approach this story with a healthy skepticism.]

KopBusters describes their first episode as follows:

KopBusters rented a house in Odessa, Texas and began growing two small Christmas trees under a grow light similar to those used for growing marijuana. When faced with a suspected marijuana grow, the police usually use illegal FLIR cameras and/or lie on the search warrant affidavit claiming they have probable cause to raid the house. Instead of conducting a proper investigation which usually leads to no probable cause, the Kops lie on the affidavit claiming a confidential informant saw the plants and/or the police could smell marijuana coming from the suspected house.
      The trap was set and less than 24 hours later, the Odessa narcotics unit raided the house only to find KopBuster's attorney waiting under a system of complex gadgetry and spy cameras that streamed online to the KopBuster's secret mobile office nearby.
      The attorney was handcuffed and later released when eleven KopBuster detectives arrived with the media in tow to question the illegal raid. The police refused to give KopBusters the search warrant affidavit which is suspected to contain the lies regarding the probable cause.
H/t: FourthAmendment.com

UPDATE: You can watch a local TV news segment about show and this particular sting here.

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Raw_footage_from_KopBusters_first_sting_1207.html

'KopBusters' investigators bait Odessa police to illegally raid house:
For former drug interdiction officer Barry Cooper, the media storm is just beginning.

His upcoming reality show, 'KopBusters,' a 'To Catch A Predator' style crusade against dirty officers, sparked an immediate response after RAW STORY covered a news brief of their first sting.

Cooper has now released footage from the initial episode of 'KopBusters,' in which the Odessa, TX police department raids a suspected marijuana grow house, only to discover they played right into the filmmaker's hands. As surveillance cameras roll, the police slowly figure out they've been had, seemingly caught red-handed of illegally overreaching in a first-of-its-kind operation.

On his Web site, KopBusters.com, Cooper describes how the sting took place.

"KopBusters rented a house in Odessa, Texas and began growing two small Christmas trees under a grow light similar to those used for growing marijuana. When faced with a suspected marijuana grow, the police usually use illegal FLIR cameras and/or lie on the search warrant affidavit claiming they have probable cause to raid the house. Instead of conducting a proper investigation which usually leads to no probable cause, the Kops lie on the affidavit claiming a confidential informant saw the plants and/or the police could smell marijuana coming from the suspected house.

"The trap was set and less than 24 hours later, the Odessa narcotics unit raided the house only to find KopBuster's attorney waiting under a system of complex gadgetry and spy cameras that streamed online to the KopBuster's secret mobile office nearby.

"The attorney was handcuffed and later released when eleven KopBuster detectives arrived with the media in tow to question the illegal raid. The police refused to give KopBusters the search warrant affidavit which is suspected to contain the lies regarding the probable cause."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Hey, That's Entrapment!: Kopbusters.com Honey Pot Sting
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »
Looks interesting.

I don't know if the raw footage was complete, but I didn't hear a single officer announce their prescence after entering the house.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 03:11:21 PM »
Funniest thing I've heard since I heard Blagojevich got busted. This is turning out to be a good day.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
But we are told that this sort of thing happens so very rarely... :D
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 04:22:24 PM »
Looks interesting.

I don't know if the raw footage was complete, but I didn't hear a single officer announce their prescence after entering the house.
Which is a terrifying thought when it's the middle of the night, and you're supposed to magically figure out if the armed men in your house are cops or robbers.  Then again, it's so easy for anyone to yell "I'm a cop" anyway...  =|

The neighbors across from our apartment smoke weed.  A LOT of weed.  You'd have to be walking in a sealed environment not to smell it.  My worry is, it wouldn't be hard at all to confuse the smell as coming from the door just a few feet across (i.e. mine).  Something that keeps me up at night is the thought that one day my door might be busted down by armed invaders who don't properly identify themselves... and since I'm always armed... well, you can see how that combination could end up with one or two dead police officers, and myself in a body bag as well.   =(
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 04:28:47 PM by Nightfall »
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 04:30:26 PM »
Are you sure they're not GROWING it?

I mean. Not that I grow weed. But some of REALLY good sorts of weed are INCREDIBLY smelly as bushes.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 04:35:16 PM »
I wonder how long it will be until one of the cops "accidentally" shoots the guy in charge of this.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 04:50:32 PM »
Are you sure they're not GROWING it?

I mean. Not that I grow weed. But some of REALLY good sorts of weed are INCREDIBLY smelly as bushes.
Could be.  My wife thinks it's because of smoking, because it starts up around 4:20 regularly, which apparently is an important time to pot smokers?  I forget her explanation.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 04:55:05 PM »
Could be.  My wife thinks it's because of smoking, because it starts up around 4:20 regularly, which apparently is an important time to pot smokers?  I forget her explanation.

She's right. For some obscure reason, 4:20 is Weed Smoking Time. And April 20th is International Marijuana Day.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 04:55:58 PM »
As an aside, how is a FLIR camera illegal?

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 05:14:23 PM »

The cops are using them to fly along in the helicopter and look for suspected grow houses.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 05:23:52 PM »
The term 420 originated at San Rafael High School, in 1971, among a group of about a dozen pot-smoking wiseacres who called themselves the Waldos, who are now pushing 50. The term was shorthand for the time of day the group would meet, at the campus statue of Louis Pasteur, to smoke pot. Intent on developing their own discreet language, they made 420 code for a time to get high, and its use spread among members of an entire generation
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 06:07:06 PM »
Hey. What have you got to hide from the cops? They're public servants, after all, aren't they?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 06:21:14 PM »
While living his civilian life, Barry continually noticed the abuse of law enforcement growing worse. Barry himself was unjustifiably arrested five times and became the target of a botched civil raid which left bruises on his 13 year old daughter. One of his arrests includes him being jailed for theft in 2006. After being released from jail, Barry learned the "theft" charge stemmed from him not returning Jeepers Creepers I and Jeepers Creepers II on time to a local video rental store. The charges were dropped after the media aired the story. Barry admits he might have deserved jail time for his choice of movies but not for being late on a return. The other four arrests were just as unreasonable and led to charges being dropped or being found not guilty by a jury
anyone know what the other 4 busts were?  hes strangely quiet about the specifics. and it stands out in the rest of the candid self endorsements
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 06:24:42 PM »
While living his civilian life, Barry continually noticed the abuse of law enforcement growing worse. Barry himself was unjustifiably arrested five times and became the target of a botched civil raid which left bruises on his 13 year old daughter. One of his arrests includes him being jailed for theft in 2006. After being released from jail, Barry learned the "theft" charge stemmed from him not returning Jeepers Creepers I and Jeepers Creepers II on time to a local video rental store. The charges were dropped after the media aired the story. Barry admits he might have deserved jail time for his choice of movies but not for being late on a return. The other four arrests were just as unreasonable and led to charges being dropped or being found not guilty by a jury
anyone know what the other 4 busts were?  hes strangely quiet about the specifics. and it stands out in the rest of the candid self endorsements

No, but I do know that I've never been "falsely arrested".
And I've done some dumb things that have resulted in the po-po telling me I'd better behave.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 06:30:09 PM »
arry Cooper is one of the most controversial people in the anti-prohibition movement. The release of his 2007 DVD, Never Get Busted Again, got him kicked out of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition and led many to call him a sellout, or worse.

Yet, speaking at the 2008 New Hampshire Liberty Forum, Cooper said publicly for the first time Saturday that he became a marijuana smoker, that marijuana saved his life, and that that is why he had to quit law enforcement.

n a December 2006 press release, LEAP disclaimed any association with Never Get Busted Again and publicly kicked Barry Cooper out of the organization:

While LEAP is in sympathy with millions of people who have their lives damaged or destroyed by the failed policy of drug prohibition, LEAP in no way endorses the violation of the law, or any efforts to frustrate the hard work of those sworn to uphold the law.

When former police officer Barry Cooper was accepted as a LEAP speaker, the Executive Director and most Board members of LEAP were not aware of the fact that Mr. Cooper was planning to distribute a for-profit DVD titled, “Never Get Busted Again”. On learning of the sale of the DVDs, LEAP, which is an international nonprofit educational organization, held a board meeting where it was decided that LEAP cannot in any way be associated with this enterprise. . . .

LEAP feels that Mr. Cooper could not speak for LEAP without his product automatically being associated with us. We cannot have that so we are no longer listing Barry Cooper as a LEAP speaker. — Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Some people went even farther, accusing Cooper of spreading false information, or less evilly, of wanting to profit from his previous mistakes. Cooper doesn’t see it that way. He says he is making the DVDs to try to atone for the harm he caused over the years that he was a drug warrior, and even encourages those who can’t afford to buy his DVDs to download them for free. Indeed, on the back of the DVD cover, under the copyright notice, is printed: “Barry and Candi don’t prosecute for this. So please only copy a few.”

Now Cooper is planning to release his next DVD, Never Get Raided Again, next week. This movie will explain how to sell marijuana safely, he says, as well as to prevent the police from getting enough information on you to get a search warrant for your house. And later this year, he plans to release a third DVD, 50/50, in which he takes 50 people, gets them drunk and films their activities while drunk; then takes the same 50 people a few days later and gets them high and films their activities while stoned. He says this will prove marijuana is much safer for people than alcohol.

Cooper also announced a new initiative for dealing with corrupt cops: sue them. He plans to use some of his money to help finance lawsuits against up to 300 corrupt police officers a year, noting that the only thing he was ever afraid of out on the highways was a lawsuit, and that despite having personal immunity, a lawsuit would be quite bad for a police officer’s career.

Later that night, on the nationally syndicated radio show Free Talk Live, Cooper admitted that he was an alcoholic and had anger management issues, and that when he first tried marijuana, it allowed him to get both his anger and his drinking under control and made him a more compassionate person. It was then, he said, that he knew his law enforcement career was over, and it was because of the effect marijuana had on him that he was moved to create and distribute his movies to help prevent others from being caught up in the unjust war on drugs.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 06:31:32 PM »
i've been arrested a  bunch once i was innocent   and the system worked  cut me loose

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 06:34:12 PM »
Does it matter who Barry Cooper is? Do you think that the video is fake?

Fine, Barry Cooper is the worst person in the world. What difference does it make?

There is a reason why they call an ad hominem a logical fallacy.

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 06:36:05 PM »
i haven't seen the video  tell me what gross abuse you imagine i'll see

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 06:39:26 PM »

Let me ask you again. What part of the story, as retold above, do you doubt?

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 06:41:51 PM »
I like this type of sting operation. It's not illegal to grow legal plants in your house.

I wonder if he will be charged anyway; in many states, implying a substance is illegal (selling talc power for cocaine is an example) will result in a charge.

I bet the cops will try to claim that they were setup.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 06:42:38 PM »

Police using FLIR  to peer into random homes and look for grow houses.  Police lie to get warrant.  Police kick in door.  
Even better, the lawyer did nothing wrong and was still detained.
JD

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 06:46:40 PM »

Police were using the helicopter cameras, as well as hand held IR cameras, on fishing expeditions. The grow lights produce a lot of heat, so some cops would use the cameras as the means of getting a warrant with no other probable cause. When they hit on a hot house, they would get a warrant.

Someone challenged the use of the IR detectors, saying that it was invasion of privacy and an illegal search because no other probable cause had been presented.

It worked its way through the courts, finally landing in Dianah and the Supremes lap, and they agreed with the lower court that said that using an IR device without a warrant is unreasonable. Case dismissed.

Oh, the guy who brought the suit? He had a very large commercial grow operation in his basement. :)

Ah, here we go. Good ABC news article on the subject: http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93127&page=1
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 07:04:46 PM »
any evidence they used a flir in this case?   did they have a warrant?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 07:06:14 PM »
I'm amazed that a couple of different undercover agencies haven't done a "sting" and busted each other ;)

What would they think and do if the arrestees had badges ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin