Author Topic: Suppose illegal campaign finance is proven: what then?  (Read 3002 times)

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Suppose illegal campaign finance is proven: what then?
« on: October 24, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
(Mods, if this isn't "Politics" enough, my apologies; feel free to move it)

There's been a lot of speculation about how much of Obama's campaign funding has come from illegal or fraudulent sources.

Suppose for a moment that all of those claims are proven beyond a doubt to be true, and that (just for the sake of hyperbole) every single dollar that he's campaigned with is shown to be dirty in some way or other. 

Given that, what happens?  If he wins the election before the proof of dirty money is made, then what?  He can't be impeached for it, if I understand correctly, because impeachment is for offenses committed while in office.  His election can't be rescinded, can it?  Would federal prosecutors have to just sit on things until he's out of office (if any of them survived (in a career sense) his presidency)?  Is there a statute of limitations on campaign finance misbehavior?

Or would it all fall on his campaign people, leaving them to be prosecuted while he got away clean?

If the proof of dirty money were made before election day, what then?  Can he be disqualified?  Or is campaign finance law pretty much just lip service with no real consequence?

This is not pot-stirring or tinfoil-hattery; I'm not suggesting anything one way or the other about Obama's finances.  I just want to know how the system works.

-BP

Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Suppose illegal campaign finance is proven: what then?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 02:20:22 PM »
He's from Chicago. Dirty money is normal.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 02:27:07 PM »
A Democrat version of Karl Rove will be persecuted and Ron Paul supporters fanatics will try to citizen arrest that person when they go on a public speaking tour.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 02:31:10 PM »
Everyone yawns and life continues as it has.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 02:36:56 PM »
Everyone yawns and life continues as it has.

Yeah, that's more or less what I figured.

So why do we have the laws at all?  What's the point of having a law that will never be enforced?

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 02:39:55 PM »
Yeah, that's more or less what I figured.

So why do we have the laws at all?  What's the point of having a law that will never be enforced?

-BP

In case a Republican messes up.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 02:44:21 PM »
In case a Republican messes up.

Yup.

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 03:18:08 PM »
The same thing will happen as when illegal Chinese funds were found to have gone to the Clinton and Gore coffers.  The story will go away quickly, supporters will say "everyone does it" and funds will continue to flow.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 03:19:24 PM »
The same thing will happen as when illegal Chinese funds were found to have gone to the Clinton and Gore coffers.  The story will go away quickly, supporters will say "everyone does it" and funds will continue to flow.

But if someone gave Palin a free dress, that's front page headline.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 04:00:55 PM »

...unless McCain wins....then Pelosi & Reid will push for a special prosecutor to investigate the GOP, the Democrats will sue to overturn the election, and MoveOn.org will dedicate all their pixels to destroying Palin before the '12 election...

.....oh, and San Francisco will secede from the Union....so it won't be all bad....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 04:11:51 PM »
Dirty money for the Democrats is a given. I'm a whole lot more concerned about dirty voting and ACORN. Obama is so flush with cash that he can afford to return any monies that are adjudicated as dirty, and he's made of teflon, so no charges will stick to him personally. It's just a fact that people with a higher moral calling have to accept about Democrats. But the ACORN stuff, that's sedition and subversion.

(I know, I know. There are no more "sedition" laws, but there ought to be. If there were, half the Democrat party, and ALL of ACORN would be behind bars. But I repeat myself.)

In any case, what ACORN has done is downright dangerous. Who in their right mind trusts any longer the validity of the voter rolls in areas where ACORN has been active? It calls into question all election results wherever they were active going into this election. When Al Gore tried to steal the election in 2000, he opened a Pandora's box that Democrats may well wish was closed following this election. Unfortunately for them, the way has been paved for legal challenges in court for every election result you don't like, and given the perfidy of ACORN, Republicans would be fools not to challenge this year's results. If I were McCain's legal counsel, I would. Democrats can't expect that, after putting the nation through the electoral wringer in Florida in 2000, and then repeating the bogus mantra for 8 years that Bush "stole" election (which means he successfully prevented Democrats from stealing it themselves), that Republicans lay down and go softly into that gentle night of political irrelevancy. There is a price to be paid for abominable behavior, and the Democrats haven't paid it yet. It has been accruing interest, and payment is due. I think Republicans should stick it to them hard for the next 4-8 years and give them a taste of their own bile.

It won't teach them a thing about moral behavior, but neither did it teach them anything when Republicans refused to descend to their level and get mean and nasty. At least Democrats might become a little more cautious about their criminality if they understand that there will be a price to be paid if they are too overt in its expression.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 04:58:31 PM »
. . .  I think Republicans should stick it to them hard for the next 4-8 years and give them a taste of their own bile.
The GOP would rather pat one another on the back for taking the high road . . . as they clean out their desks and offices the morning after giving their concession speeches.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
No one cared while we were prosperous and retained the bulk of our most cherished freedoms.

If that changes, there could be a major sea-change.  If people are suffering and begin to believe the game is entirely rigged, they are capable of surprises.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.