Main Forums > The Roundtable

Car Camping Advice

<< < (2/6) > >>

MaterDei:
Who is 'we'?

In my experience camping and acceptable campgrounds mean two different things to men and women.

I consider a tent an unnecessary luxury and bother.  Afterall, I'm not going to pick a bad weather weekend to go camping.  

My darling bride disagrees.  My wife also doesn't want anything to do with camping unless there is a brick and morter restroom facility within walking distance.  Other than that she's a real trooper.

grampster:
Bring AAA Tourbook to find the best hotels and restaurants

Tallpine:
I (almost) never camp in campgrounds.

On most parts of the National Forests (in the West anyway) you can camp almost anywhere.  Get a map from a ranger station to find back roads that are still open to travel (many are now closed  :cry: )

A high clearance or 4wd vehicle can get you to some pretty remote places.

Along with everything else, take a shovel for ... well - for reasons that should be obvious.

Oh, and along with your defense gun(s), take 1 or more 22 LR guns and a brick or 2 of ammo.

garrettwc:
Lots of great replies so far. I'll answer some specific ones.

--- Quote ---
Pleas DON'T bring:
A radio or TV
alcohol enough to make you really loud/rowdy.

Other than a small radio for weather alerts, I'm right there with you. No electronic devices (may have to fight the kids about Gameboys). No alcohol (see "kids")

Charby - County park is where the local teens go to do the things jamz said to avoid. Next closest facility is the national forest I was considering at 45 mins. away. I figured we would try that one for a while before we get into any thing long distance.

Greg L - simple meals sounds like a good idea. Anybody got suggestions for good camping out food?

MaterDei - "we" includes me, a teenager or two, and later on the 5 & 7 years olds and the lady of the house if she's interested. I was smart and bought a 6-8 person tent with ground cloth and rainfly on clearance at Galyan's before Dicks ruined them.

Tallpine, I don't think I can get a lift kit for a Dodge Stratus so I'll be limited to drive up or walk in areas for a while. Good suggestion though to talk to the rangers.

Tools have been mentioned, hatchet (for wood?), hammer (tent stakes?), pliers (?), and shovel (understood). Besides kitchen utensils what other tools, such as knives, etc. should I bring?

Forest service has two "canoes only" lakes within walking distance of the main campground.

DigMe:
I haven't camped at a "campground" in a long time so maybe you might not need some of this but I try to bring some kind of folding table if the place doesn't have picnic tables.   I guess being a campground though it probably will have those.  Everyone seems to have covered most things.

One camping staple for me is hobo dinners.  Just get some ground meat, worchestershire sauce, maybe some lowry's seasoning, cut up several potatoes into cubes and put them into a ziploc with water in it, whatever other vegetables you want (carrots, onions and bell peppers work well) and aluminum foil.

Start burning some wood or charcoal to make some coals.  While that's burning get two sheets of aluminum foil and pile some ground beef on it, then  mix in the potatoes and whatever other vegetables you want in there and pour some worchestershire sauce and lowry's or whatever seasoning you want on it and kind mix it together.  Then wrap it up real good and tight in two layers of aluminum foil.  When you have enough of these packets made to feed everyone (I like to do every man for himself so each person can customize his meal) then go to your coal cooking area and get some coals in it.  Put the packages on top and then stack coals around and on each package.  Let them cook in the coals for 25 to 30 minutes and it should be ready to eat.  Good stuff.

I like to dig a "keyhole" shaped firepit that has the main fire in a round area with a rectangle coming off of it where I can drag the coals for cooking.  

Another thing that comes in handy is a foldable shovel.  This can be used for digging your toilet holes, moving coals around, stoking the fire, etc...  They can usually be had in tri-fold style at army surplus stores.

For more camp recipes just go to google and search for "camping recipes" or something.  I'm sure you'll find plenty.

brad cook

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version