Author Topic: Charlton Heston dies at 84  (Read 9579 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Charlton Heston dies at 84
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 08:19:07 PM »
Zeke was using your behavior to explain why he would not allow you to bring a gun into his house.  Yet you don't seem to have posed a threat to anyone.  So, again, what's the point? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SomeKid

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 09:07:24 PM »
Zeke was using your behavior to explain why he would not allow you to bring a gun into his house.  Yet you don't seem to have posed a threat to anyone.  So, again, what's the point? 

I disagree, note his comments about Heston. But, assuming your correct (we allow this from time to time  laugh ), what exactly is so awful about ignoring stupidity, and having fun with a friend? Or am I missing something maybe? (Then again, you did note I wasn't exactly threatening anyone, perhaps my awesomeness at Army of Two is dangerous?)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 09:45:33 PM »
Yeah, I saw that Zeke is sounding like a gun-grabber.  I was just pointing out that he wasn't making any sense. 

Which is why you wouldn't be armed in my home...
He apparently thinks that playing video games demonstrates that a person should be disarmed.   undecided

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 09:59:15 PM »
Watched "Omega Man" yesterday, and noticed that Heston's Neville went about town with a holstered sidearm and spare mag even when wearing a jogging suit. That's something "I Am Legend" failed to address, which ticks me off because a valiant life could've been saved had the new Neville done so.
"Omega Man" also made me glad that IR optics have gotten smaller.

Just doing my part to detract from the strange thread drift.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
Just doing my part to detract from the strange thread drift.

Thank you. 

Light-hearted comment removed by me.   sad

SomeKid

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2008, 10:17:26 PM »
Yeah, I saw that Zeke is sounding like a gun-grabber.  I was just pointing out that he wasn't making any sense. 

Which is why you wouldn't be armed in my home...
He apparently thinks that playing video games demonstrates that a person should be disarmed.   undecided

Yah, when I first read the post I had a WTF moment. Reading his post reminded me of what it is like to watch SS talk religion.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 01:03:14 AM »
DU-type reactions are reprehensible....but understandable....

I won't be exactly tearful when Mikey Moore chokes down his last Happy Meal.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 04:04:59 AM »

(sigh)  I, actually, think being in my home demonstrates that he needn't be strapped: it's somewhat insulting.

And Heston was a radical, but he made some excellent movies.
Zeke

SomeKid

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2008, 04:10:34 AM »

(sigh)  I, actually, think being in my home demonstrates that he needn't be strapped: it's somewhat insulting.

And Heston was a radical, but he made some excellent movies.

Would you like a side of gun-ban to go with your views?

nico

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2008, 04:25:50 AM »

How much does it cost to have your house crime-proofed these days?

About ignoring stupidity, I live in MD. . . some places you just have to do it if you want to keep your sanity for more than a few hours.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2008, 04:38:43 AM »
How is it insulting?  Is it insulting if someone climbs into your car and straps on a seat belt?  How much more ridiculous is it to condemn an apparent willingness to come to the defense of you and yours as insulting?

Seems to me that it would take a very special desire to be offended at that.

Regarding the thread's primary point, I was very sorry to hear that Charlton Heston died, but I was glad he had taken full advantage of a long and prosperous life. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2008, 04:47:35 AM »
Enough.

This thread is about Charlton Heston's death.

If you want to battle over where you can carry and when, START A NEW THREAD.

Any more messages not on the topic subject will be summarily deleted.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2008, 04:59:06 AM »
One of the more interesting points about Mr. Heston is that he was almost villified by liberals as being an extreme conservative.  But they ignore the fact that Mr. heston truly did march with Dr. King in favor of civil rights for all Americans, not just 2A for NRA members.  Let's honor the memory of all the man stood for, all rights for all Americans.

Rocketman56

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2008, 06:02:11 AM »
Chris:  I agree with that comment..  Mr. Heston truly stood by what he believed.. (what he believed may have changed during his lifetime, but at least you knew
where he stood..)  One should respect someone like that, even if you don't agree with him..

To be honest, I knew that he had been associated with Dr. King, and also the NRA, but I had never really thought about it until
I read his speech before the Harvard Law School..  (Link: http://www.guntalk.com/uploads/CharltonHeston_02_16_99.pdf  Thanks, Tom!)
There are other links to it on the net.. (THR had a different one..)

Mr. Heston truly had his fingertips on the pulse of America..  Read the speech and I think you'll agree with me..

Farewell Mr. Heston and may you "Rest in Peace" and watch America right itself, and
return to its strengths and re-don the mantle of true freedom and greatness in the world community..

Steve
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ad astra per aspera
"through the thorns to the stars"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2008, 06:21:42 AM »

As for Heston...
I actually heard a good euleogy of him on CNN today.  Shocking.  Apparantly he was active in civil rights movement and an outspoken supporter of Desegregation.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2008, 07:21:51 AM »
The left would've canonized him if not for the 2nd Amendment stance. 

Chris

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2008, 04:07:01 AM »
I read his speech before the Harvard Law School..  (Link: http://www.guntalk.com/uploads/CharltonHeston_02_16_99.pdf  Thanks, Tom!)
Thanks for the link. That speech was wonderful.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2008, 04:08:14 AM »

As for Heston...
I actually heard a good euleogy of him on CNN today.  Shocking.  Apparantly he was active in civil rights movement and an outspoken supporter of Desegregation.

Yes, he was for all civil rights. He considered 2A a civil right. Which it is.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2008, 02:09:37 PM »

Voting is a civil right.  Being armed is a natural right.  But that's sort of like the distinction between republic and democracy, in that no one cares anymore.   undecided

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2008, 02:25:13 PM »

Voting is a civil right.  Being armed is a natural right.  But that's sort of like the distinction between republic and democracy, in that no one cares anymore.   undecided

A surprisingly astute observation Fistful.

I never knew (until now) about his work with Dr. King either. He really was an inspiring man.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2008, 08:10:51 PM »
I'm not kidding, folks.

Off topic messages WILL be removed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.