Author Topic: Tell me how to spend my $1500  (Read 7202 times)

40 caliber

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
  • friend
    • Will to Exist
Tell me how to spend my $1500
« on: November 20, 2008, 08:58:31 AM »
I have $1500 for a rifle. I'm thinking .308 or 6.5mm since I already own 5.56/.223. If you have specific advice about what to get in this price range it will be much appreciated.

I am thinking about:

• Semi auto
  • High capacity magazine
  • Scope addition later on
It's collapsing all around you.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Tell me how to spend my $1500
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:05:15 AM »
.308? A DSA (dsarms.com) SA-58, standard or the para with the folding stock. EXCELLENT rifle. The legendary FAL reliability and comfortable use, updated to a modern battle rifle.

When you handle one in person, you see why they cost that. They're also more like driving up in a retro-classic but newly hand-built sports car instead of a generic one like a bland AR platform. IMO. :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 09:13:09 AM by Manedwolf »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 09:16:10 AM »
I have a DSA StG58, and have found it to be a reliable and accurate rifle, while costing significantly less than their flagship SA58 model.

If you're hardnosed about it, buying up a number of AR15 lowers could end up being profitable . . . if you can find some for sale at a good price.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 09:19:13 AM »
I have a DSA StG58, and have found it to be a reliable and accurate rifle, while costing significantly less than their flagship SA58 model.

If you're hardnosed about it, buying up a number of AR15 lowers could end up being profitable . . . if you can find some for sale at a good price.

It won't be profitable if they pass a ban. "No sale or transfer" means "no sale or transfer".

Also, the rifle I built uses a DSA receiver on an STG-58 parts kit, along with the wooden stock. Made a G1 look for a lot less than their $2000 G1! Their receivers are absolutely incredible in finish and precision tolerances.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:26:59 AM »
It won't be profitable if they pass a ban. "No sale or transfer" means "no sale or transfer".
If they start talking about prohibiting transfers, there will still be a window of opportunity to make a significant profit.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 09:37:51 AM »
I'd buy a DSA STG-58 if you are into the .308 rifle scene.  That'll leave you some money for mags and ammo. The basic models of the M1A come under that, I think, too.

DSA also makes a nice scope mount, so that won't be an issue.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

40 caliber

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
  • friend
    • Will to Exist
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 09:41:16 AM »
I just called DSA. The purchase process sure is convoluted. Why can't I just order direct from them? Why do I need an FFL or a dealer?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 09:44:01 AM »
I just called DSA. The purchase process sure is convoluted. Why can't I just order direct from them? Why do I need an FFL or a dealer?

Ah, because they have to ship the rifle to an FFL?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 09:46:12 AM »

Who would they ship to? Nobody can ship a rifle to you unless it's C&R and you have an 03. These are all new. They have to be shipped to a local FFL to be transferred to you.

This is standard for anyone you'd want to order a rifle from that's not local to you.

Find an FFL that will do transfers in your area. Ask them for a copy of their FFL, or if they can fax it to DSA. Once DSA has it on file, you can order a rifle and have it shipped to the FFL. Most FFLs charge $10-$35 to transfer, you'd do a Form 4473 and have them call it in.

40 caliber

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
  • friend
    • Will to Exist
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 09:48:51 AM »
Who would they ship to? Nobody can ship a rifle to you unless it's C&R. These are all new. They have to be shipped to a local FFL to be transferred to you.

Yes, and I'm asking what the logic is for this unnecessary rule. If I want to go on a wild crime spree I can have a used rifle shipped to me for that purpose but not a new one? Is that correct? The astounding lack of common sense is confounding. Is there some valid purpose for these rules?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 09:49:24 AM »
AR-10 with a flat-top receiver

Or save up a couple hundred more and get a M1A SOCOM
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 09:51:12 AM »
Yes, and I'm asking what the logic is for this unnecessary rule. If I want to go on a wild crime spree I can have a used rifle shipped to me for that purpose but not a new one? Is that correct? The astounding lack of common sense is confounding. Is there some valid purpose for these rules?

No. You can't have ANY rifle shipped to you unless you have a federal C&R license and the rifle qualifies as an antique or other type of C&R. You have a background check done when you get a C&R license.

To have a new rifle or anything not C&R eligible sent to you requires an FFL to do the transfer.

That's just the BATFE rules. You could only order rifles through the mail before 1968. Blame idiot lawmakers' response to Lee Harvey Oswald, he'd ordered his Carcano through the mail, so they blamed that.

40 caliber

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
  • friend
    • Will to Exist
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 09:54:07 AM »
No. You can't have ANY rifle shipped to you unless you have a federal C&R license and the rifle qualifies as an antique or other type of C&R. You have a background check done when you get a C&R license.

To have a new rifle or anything not C&R eligible sent to you requires an FFL to do the transfer.

That's just the BATFE rules. You could only order rifles through the mail before 1968. Blame idiot lawmakers' response to Lee Harvey Oswald, he'd ordered his Carcano through the mail, so they blamed that.

Alright. What is the most practical way to buy the rifle then? I'm not best friends with a dealer and don't have much interest in an FFL because my understanding is that it requires signing away my constitutional freedom.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 09:55:30 AM »
Alright. What is the most practical way to buy the rifle then? I'm not best friends with a dealer and don't have much interest in an FFL because my understanding is that it requires signing away my constitutional freedom.

Friends? Just go in any local gun shop and ask how much they charge for transfers, and if they'll accept transfers shipped to them. That's it. Or call around to gun shops. DSA needs a copy of their FFL on file to ship.

The local range does that here, because it's owned by an FFL. Anyone who sells guns is an FFL, and most have a sign somewhere saying what it is they charge for transfers. They call you when it arrives, you go in and do the forms.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 10:02:08 AM »

FWIW, I've had a bolt action, center fire Mauser legally mailed to me; no paperwork, no FFLs.

That said, it was built in 1889.  =D

40 caliber

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
  • friend
    • Will to Exist
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 10:14:03 AM »
FWIW, I've had a bolt action, center fire Mauser legally mailed to me; no paperwork, no FFLs.

That said, it was built in 1889.  =D

1889 was a good year, to my understanding.

40 caliber

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
  • friend
    • Will to Exist
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 10:36:41 AM »
Ah, because they have to ship the rifle to an FFL?

My point was that the extra bureaucracy does nothing to make anyone safer.

40 caliber

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
  • friend
    • Will to Exist
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 10:37:51 AM »
Friends? Just go in any local gun shop and ask how much they charge for transfers, and if they'll accept transfers shipped to them. That's it. Or call around to gun shops. DSA needs a copy of their FFL on file to ship.

The local range does that here, because it's owned by an FFL. Anyone who sells guns is an FFL, and most have a sign somewhere saying what it is they charge for transfers. They call you when it arrives, you go in and do the forms.

That's the information I needed. Thanks.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 10:38:46 AM »

Well duh, but thems the rules.  If you want the gun and can't find a local private seller for FTF, this is what you have to do.  It isn't exactly a new rule, nor is it any more onerous than buying a gun that a shop has in stock.

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 11:08:35 AM »

Very true.

As a C&R 03 FFL, seeing the big brown truck leave a long, brown box is a real thrill.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

40 caliber

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
  • friend
    • Will to Exist
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 11:10:31 AM »
Well duh, but thems the rules.  If you want the gun and can't find a local private seller for FTF, this is what you have to do.  It isn't exactly a new rule, nor is it any more onerous than buying a gun that a shop has in stock.

Chris

We can talk about rules in another thread :) For the time being I've found a dealer who stocks an SA-58 variant that looks pretty good. I'll be going to take a look next week and appreciate the time everyone took to suggest DSA.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 11:39:37 AM »

No - this statement is too broad.

There IS an exception, where one can have a fully functional modern (i.e., non-antique) rifle such as an M1 Garand or M1 Carbine shipped directly to their door, without a C&R license or an FFL to receive it.

Think CMP.  :angel:

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 11:49:13 AM »
We can talk about rules in another thread :) For the time being I've found a dealer who stocks an SA-58 variant that looks pretty good. I'll be going to take a look next week and appreciate the time everyone took to suggest DSA.

I'm not making any statement regarding the rules and their value other than they are the rules by which we play.

But you'll jump through the same hoops to avoid having that dealer mail/fax his FFL to DSA?  If you're happy with the gun, then that's cool, but you didn't avoid anything other than asking the dealer to send a copy of his license.

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 02:49:08 PM »
Why not an M1A or M14 semi-variant for $1,500 or less?

I had an FAL, and it couldn't compete with my M14NM, so I sold it.  YMMV, of course.

Even Remington's R-25 version of the AR-10 in .308 Win is less than $1,500. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 02:54:33 PM »
I don't like FALs.

They broke my Ray-Bans. 

If you're tall or have a long neck, you won't like FALs either.  That rear sight is too close to the shooter's face and the stock is too short.

Compare the FAL against the M14/M1A or the M1 Garand.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!