Author Topic: "Like looking at a slaughter house through a kaleidoscope."  (Read 8713 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: "Like looking at a slaughter house through a kaleidoscope."
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 12:40:43 AM »
My favorite pair of jeans in 1975 were bell bottoms with red and white daisy's all over them.

Of course, I was seven years old. :laugh:

Now THAT's truly depressing. In 1975 I was going through my first divorce. Vietnam was already behind me.

How to make a guy feel old.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 02:56:28 AM »
>Bell bottoms.... Hmmm... that would solve the ankle holster problem I have now, for warm-weather carry, as Jamisjockey touched upon... <

I actually slapped together a sorta ankle holster for an airsoft 1911 right after getting out of the Navy, and successfully carried it under a pair of dungarees (which I still have, although now Spoon wears them).

NO printing at all, and still fairly quick to access
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 06:04:30 AM »
The 1980's were just as bad, remember the white Don Johnson/Miami Vice suit?

Remember?.....I wore one for my junior high school graduation....  :cool:

:lol:

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 06:12:01 AM »
. . . I actually slapped together a sorta ankle holster for an airsoft 1911 right after getting out of the Navy, and successfully carried it under a pair of dungarees (which I still have, although now Spoon wears them).
Why was an adult trying to carry a toy concealed?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 07:51:40 AM »
Why was an adult trying to carry a toy concealed?

Because, if you open carry your toy, someone will just try to take it from you....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 08:44:08 AM »
Also from his site: http://lileks.com/institute/motel/index.html

I'd passed this hotel traveling around Wisconsin, coming and going to and from Milwaukee on I-94 perhaps a hundred times, as a child and an adult when they finally tore it down. Had I only known. I'd have done anything just to see the inside, just once...

The BOW-CHIKA-WOW-WOW awesomeness could just not be contained. It's like the demented evil genius lair of some 1974 Bond film that was never released.

I think my brain is trying to eat its way out, to save itself from the horror.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 09:42:19 AM »
I look though my HS yearbook and shudder...  :O
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 10:04:33 AM »
I was there in 1970, but I never wore that crap, and neither did my wife. We dressed stylishly, but not loud.

My best friend weighed about 250 at the time, and his folks bought him a suit made from that same sort of loud plaid.  [barf]

Kids! Gather round!

STORY TIME!
I promise not to duck.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 10:36:48 AM »
My favorite pair of jeans in 1975 were bell bottoms with red and white daisy's all over them.

Of course, I was seven years old. :laugh:

Making me feel old, here. 
In '75 I was at my first duty station in the service.  Imagine your's truly, typical jarhead haircut and such, color blind and no fashion sense, wearing clothes he bought himself out in town on liberty...   Bringing back, uh, a few somewhat uncomfortable memories. At least now SWMBO keeps an eye on such things for me.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 11:06:15 AM »
An old friend was visiting, and we were going through photos from the 1970's. Everybody in the photos was wearing all sorts of loud colors and patterns, and had ridiculous afro's (especially ridiculous for white guys). He looked at the photos of me and remarked that I was the only one who wore "normal" colors like black or brown. And I didn't have an afro.

When the styles shifted to disco, with suits and so on, things got a bit better. In fact, I'd like to do a billboard or poster with side by side photos. In one photo would be a guy in a white three-piece suit (John Travolta style) standing next to a 1970 Corvette. In the other photo would be two guys with baggy jeans with their boxer shorts showing, a bunch of tattoos, baseball hats on sideways, standing in front of a 1980's era Buick with 20" wheels and thin profile tires. The headline would read, "Yeah, you're old. But you looked cooler then than they do now".

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2012, 11:43:35 AM »
My grandfather got my dad on silent Super-8 film coming from work to pick me up from their house one day when they were watching me, it must have been around 1975. He pulls up in his AMC Matador... 

Quasi-pageboy haircut, handlebar mustache. Tinted octagonal "grannie glasses". White and green checkerboard sportcoat. Black dress shirt, White tie, white vinyl belt. Flared Haggar black dress slacks, and white vinyl shoes.

Pimptastically awesome..

His job? Institutional group sales for Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 02:57:58 PM »
Groovy!
My mom had formal photos done of me and my brothers in the 70s. My dad forced me to go buy a suit- so I went and bought a dark blue Johnny Carson suit- set my dad back about a week's pay.
My brothers were wearing "coats of many colors" like those on the Sears ad.  I still cringe when I see that picture. I look like a well dressed "Ernie" from My Three Sons...but still look better than my bros.

I miss flared jeans and overalls- made shoe removal and dressing/undressing easier. One pair of overalls and a few T shirts= wardrobe for a week or so. There was a casual period during the mod squad years as well.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 09:32:43 PM »
Also from his site: http://lileks.com/institute/motel/index.html

I'd passed this hotel traveling around Wisconsin, coming and going to and from Milwaukee on I-94 perhaps a hundred times, as a child and an adult when they finally tore it down. Had I only known. I'd have done anything just to see the inside, just once...

The BOW-CHIKA-WOW-WOW awesomeness could just not be contained. It's like the demented evil genius lair of some 1974 Bond film that was never released.

Why, why, oh why did they tear it down!?! Why didn't someone restore the fantasically awesome horror that was the Gobbler!

They just don't make stuff that bad anymore!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 10:27:32 PM »
Remember?.....I wore one for my junior high school graduation....  :cool:

:lol:

So did I :)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2012, 03:20:22 AM »
>Why was an adult trying to carry a toy concealed?<

Because I happened to have it laying around, did NOT have a real one (at the time), and I was curious if it would even work
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2012, 12:57:45 PM »
Now THAT's truly depressing. In 1975 I was going through my first divorce. Vietnam was already behind me.

How to make a guy feel old.

Making me feel old, here. 
In '75 I was at my first duty station in the service.  Imagine your's truly, typical jarhead haircut and such, color blind and no fashion sense, wearing clothes he bought himself out in town on liberty...   Bringing back, uh, a few somewhat uncomfortable memories. At least now SWMBO keeps an eye on such things for me.

Aw boys, you're only as old as you think you are! Having spoken with you both (and met Rocketman) neither of you seem over the hill to me. :)

Monkeyleg - we should definitely set up that photo. I'll offer up my two sons as the current era models.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2012, 03:31:39 AM »
Withdrawn as off topic.  Had, like, stuff about guns in it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 05:19:36 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2012, 07:17:42 AM »
No doubt.  My office is dead center on the road in town nicknamed "The Hip Strip."  There are some truly amazing fashion choices every day.

Wait, there is hipness in Montana?  =D  :P
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2012, 10:38:45 AM »

Wait, there is hipness in Montana?  =D  :P

Lots of big hips, expecially at Walmart  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2012, 09:14:36 PM »
It will all be fashionable again some day, just wait.

And since it's 100% polyester, you'll just be able to dig them out of storage and put them on!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.