Author Topic: That oughta leave a mark  (Read 5242 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
That oughta leave a mark
« on: September 28, 2012, 09:16:31 PM »
Guy buys a SUV, makes the deal, signs the papers hands the car dealer a check.
Dealer "realizes" they made a "clerical error" and want the buyer to pony up an additional $5600,
The buyer isn't too interested in that deal and doesn't bend over for it so the dealer has him arrested for theft.
I'm thinking it is going to cost the car dealer a whole bunch more than $5600 in legal fees and bad PR.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/09/dealership-apologizes-error-customer-arrest-0
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
Re: That oughta leave a mark
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 10:30:35 PM »
We're I on the jury, I would have no trouble with this one.  I don't like our sue happy society but that is just stupid.  They should be punished especially for trying to use law enforcement to force a contract change. 

The question in my mind is what the hell did they tell the police that made them go arrest him without actually investigating a little?  Is this normal?  Why aren't the police interested in charges for false reporting?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 10:53:01 PM »
Hmm, what's a good way to get a repeat customer or a customer to tell his friends that he had a good experience with your business? Try to jack him and have him arrested of course!

Hell of a business model...

Speaking of stupid car dealer tricks, several years ago there was a car dealer in town. One of mom's coworkers went to look at and test drive some vehicles. He liked one of them but wanted some time to think about it. The idiot sales weasel said "You're not leaving without it", grabbed the guy's keys from the desk and ran outside and threw them on the roof. The guy proceeded to beat the ever loving *expletive deleted*it ouf of the sales weasel and the cops were called. They listen to the guy's explanation of why the sales weasel is worse for the wear, look at the sales weasel and tell him "You'd better get a goddamn ladder and get up on the roof and get the guy's keys for him"

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:57:17 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 11:38:49 PM »
Looks to me like the car dealer is farked.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 06:51:28 AM »

He's more than farked.  Locals are having an absolute holiday discussing not only the ways the dealership screwed up, but over the fact that the head guy waited so long before isuing what was supposed to be an apology before the lawyers hod hold of it.

Free oil changes for life!
Free state inspections for life!
Free cars for life!

That last one will be a Priority for the fella who got jacked around.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 07:44:18 AM »
Va is messed up in this area. You can get someone locked up on almost no evidence . Its way too easy . I'd make part of the settlement hsnd wash once a week  by the foolwho had me arrested.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 01:23:55 PM »
Va is messed up in this area. You can get someone locked up on almost no evidence . Its way too easy . I'd make part of the settlement hsnd wash once a week  by the foolwho had me arrested.

I'm going to bookmark this post.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 02:03:26 PM »
I'm going to bookmark this post.

I saw that coming.  Are you familiar with the xrew of the pueblo giving the hawaiian love sign? >:D
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 03:56:02 PM »

Don't discount "Barnums" Law.

There's a sucker born every minute.  Enough to keep most of the crooked dealerships in buisness forever.

I've only run into two shady dealerships in my life.  The first was a Suzuki (auto, not motorcyle) that tried the high pressure tactic to get me to buy an econobox in 1990.

Years later the other was a Toyota/Scion that tried to convince me that 8.75% was a great rate on an xA for a 40+ homeowner with lenders falling over themselves to loan me money.  ;/

Of course, the interwebs have done wonders at putting the word out about such crooked folks.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 05:29:52 PM »
Did someone mention crooked dealers ...  ???

Some years back we bought a used Subaru from the local dealer for our daughters.  It was supposed to have had some "128 point inspection" and we also got a drive train warranty service plan for it.  We did not have it independently inspected.

Within a year, both rear axles failed and the mechanic who replaced them discovered that the boots had been tampered with which voided the warranty.

So - the dealer sold us a vehicle and service plan, for which they knew (see supposed dealer inspection above) was already invalid for part of the drive train.  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »
Dad got into a raw deal with a local Chevy dealer a few years ago.
He bought a diesel 1 ton dually 4X4 quad cab Regency conversion truck, I'm not sure if he could have gotten a more expensive rig. They screwed around and screwed him about 4K worth on his late model trade. He went round and round with them and they eventually actually gave him back a couple grand but pretty well treated him like crap.

Dad hung a big sign on the back of the truck- DON"T TRUST  XXXX CHEVROLET and would spend his free time driving up and down the street in front of the dealership. Dad, being retired and recently widowed at the time had lots of free time.

One fine afternoon dad was eating lunch at a local cafe and when he left one of the dealers employees confronted him in the parking lot. Got all up in his face about it and threatened to kick his ass if he didn't take the sign off his truck I'm thinking that the 70+ year old 100% disabled vet with MS wouldn't have been convicted, but if the guy had laid a hand on him dad would have ventilated him. From what I heard from the cafe owner of the cafe if he and another employee hadn't stepped in it really looked like the guy was gonna get physical. I'm pretty sure noneof them knew that dad was armed.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 08:05:20 AM »
. . . Speaking of stupid car dealer tricks, several years ago there was a car dealer in town. One of mom's coworkers went to look at and test drive some vehicles. He liked one of them but wanted some time to think about it. The idiot sales weasel said "You're not leaving without it", grabbed the guy's keys from the desk and ran outside and threw them on the roof. The guy proceeded to beat the ever loving *expletive deleted* ouf of the sales weasel and the cops were called. They listen to the guy's explanation of why the sales weasel is worse for the wear, look at the sales weasel and tell him "You'd better get a goddamn ladder and get up on the roof and get the guy's keys for him"
Not quite as blatant, but when I was shopping for a new SUV a Nissan dealer dragged his feet getting my keys back to me on my trade. I was waiting in his office and when he didn't come right back, I went looking for him . . . he was just chatting with the other salesmen, and when I butted in and said "I want my keys back" he told me to just wait a minute!

I pulled out my cell phone and said that if my keys weren't back in my hand in 10 seconds, I was calling 911 and telling them I was being held against my will.

I wasn't bluffing.

I got my keys back and walked out on the rest of his sales pitch.

Other times, I've dealt with dealers who flatly refuse to quote me a price before I sign a contract (!), dealers who try to sell me a vehicle with items I specifically say I DON'T want (like a $2500 navigation system), and dealers who tell me I need to buy a new car "fast" since it's a "hot seller" . . . even though the inspection sticker on the windshield is 6 months old, meaning it's  been sitting on their lot that long.

I hate car dealers . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
My parents-in-law had something similar happen to them.  They were looking at a new car, and were planning on trading in their old Camry.   So they give the dealer the keys, he does his "inspection" test drive.  And then refused to give their keys back when they decided not to buy that day.   My father-in-law actually had to call the cops.  And it wasn't until they got there and told the dealer that if he didn't return the keys he'd be arrested for theft that he *finally* returned the keys. 

When SWMBO and I went to look at a new truck, we were planning on trading in my old Camry.   Salesdroid wanted to do an inspection test drive.   I insisted that I go with him.  He hummed, hawwed, but eventually "agreed".   After the test drive, he tried to pocket my keys.   I flat told him that unless my keys were in my hands in 30 seconds, I was calling the police.  Again, he hummed and hawwed.  15 seconds in, I pulled out my phone.   He gave me my keys.  Went inside, told SWMBO we were leaving.  Salesdroid freaked, was saying we were taking money out of his pocket by "wasting his time"....   I told him next time don't try to keep my keys to force me to stay in your dealership.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »
My question is who do those tactics work on?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 12:56:12 PM »
I have one that may top them all.

A year and a half ago, in anticipation of my adopted daughter getting a driver's license, I started looking for a used car for her. Not just any car, though. We are a Jeep Cherokee family ... we currently have four of them registered and running, and a couple more Cherokees and Comanches (the PU version) sitting unregistered, back then we had three. But, with the exception of the one my wife drives, they were at the time ALL 5-speeds. I wanted another automatic, because I hate replacing clutches on 4WD vehicles. My friendly (really) not-so-local dealer was the first stop, but the last year for the Cherokee was 2001; the dealership doesn't put ten-year old vehicles on its used car lot. They referred me to a used car dealer farther up-state, Dan's.

So I went to Dan's and looked at a half dozen or so VERY unimpressive and unappealing used Cherokees of varying ages and mileages. Then the sales gal, Suzanne, said, "By the way, we have a brand new 2001 Classic inside, would you be interested in that?" Well, good golly Miss Molly, lead me to it. Sure enough, there it was. 4 miles on the odometer, ALL the window stickers intact, not a speck of road dirt on it. The story was that it had been bought new by a small, rural Jeep dealer in Pennsylvania, who put it away in his barn because he knew it was one of the last that would ever be made. He died, and his widow closed the dealership and liquidated the stock. Dan somehow found out about it, bought it, and had it trucked to his lot. (I later had a friend run a Carfax on it, and the story checked out.)

The asking price was the window sticker. I asked if they would take [a lower price]. Suzanne said she had three people who were thinking about it, so that was the price. I agreed to buy it, I saigned a sales agreement, and I have her a check for $2,000 as down payment. I told her it would take me about a week to gather up the balance due. She said no problem.

In a week, I called and told Suzanne I had the money and would like to arrange a time to pick up my Cherokee. "You can't; we sold it."

I asked how they could sell MY Jeep, for which I had a signed sales contract and had given them a down payment. She said, "That wasn't a contract, because the full sales price wasn't paid. Someone else offered me more, so I sold it to him."

And then she didn't even return my check (which she had not deposited). I'm sure what she did was call the other three on-the-fence buyers, tell them she had a firm offer for the window price, and had them bid it up as high as it would go. All using my sales agreement as the bait. I stopped payment on the check, so I know it was never deposited. When I called back and talked to Dan, he refused to talk to me and said I had to take it up with Suzanne.

So I was cheated out of the last possible opportunity in the world to buy a brand new Jeep Cherokee. I was ripped, but there would have been no point in suing, or even complaining to the department that licenses used car dealers. How could they possibly have made me whole? It's not like anyone could have called up Chrysler/Jeep and ordered a duplicate of the same vehicle. This was the LAST one in the U.S. (and the world) that was still new. Even if I sued and had the sale to the other buyer cancelled, he would have been driving it and it wouldn't have been a new vehicle at that point.

Gotta stop. I think my blood pressure went up twenty points just writing this.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »

Stupid people....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 01:08:40 PM »
Hawkmoon, you could have easily sued (and won) for breech of contract.  Once you both signed and she accepted your check (deposited or not), the vehicle had been sold.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 01:10:10 PM »

My question is why there are not more violent reactions  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »
Hawkmoon, you could have easily sued (and won) for breech of contract.  Once you both signed and she accepted your check (deposited or not), the vehicle had been sold.

Perhaps not.  Depending on the language of the contract, it is possible that the vehicle may not be sold until all consideration (the full purchase price) had been tendered to the dealer.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
Finance guy at the dealership tried to sell me a bumper to bumper parts and service plan when I bought my '08 F150 a few weeks back.

Looked up the co. offering the plan on my phone's browser.  :O First thing that popped up was Ripoff Report. Several pages of complaints. Also, BBB has a list of complaints about them 3-4 pages long...

"So what do you think?"
"No."
"But it's such a great plan and you won't have to worry!"
"I'll worry a lot less paying out of my own pocket than having to beg them to repair stuff that I would essentially have already payed for by buying their plan."
"You're certain?"
"Yes."

"Here's another great plan we offer..."
 ;/

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 01:44:05 PM »
I woulda said, "Here's a plan I offer. It's called the AMF plan. Have a nice day."
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 01:54:19 PM »
My question is why there are not more violent reactions  ???
Good question.  However, a good salesman makes people believe they got a good deal and many people would refuse to admit they got screwed even if they did. 

My more specific question would be why the salesman wouldn't know to back off the moment a customer showed a negative reaction. 

Looking at all the positive comments on tHe article, I think either I am right or the dealership has their own people trying to do damage control on the Internet. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 03:02:56 PM »
OK, what is so great about the Jeep Cherokee, and if it is so great, why is it no more?

Other than the cachet of the Jeep brand, I've never heard anything good about them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 03:41:52 PM »
many people would refuse to admit they got screwed even if they did.

much truth

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 04:43:05 PM »
I woulda said, "Here's a plan I offer. It's called the AMF plan. Have a nice day."
I was tempted. By the time it was all said and done, he tried to sell me the service plan, disability and death coverage, GAP coverage, and something else I don't recall at the moment. I didn't get any of it.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot